Vancouver Whitecaps to unveil new brand on June 8th

BrySmalls

You know, I actually like it. It's a little bland--it could use some water in there, I reckon--but all in all, it's clean while still having some cool meaning.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whitecaps.jpg?t=1276011641

Not much of a fan...

I think it's great. The Whitecaps (mountains) on top, and the reflection in the water...and the representation of 'V' and 'W' in the water as well.

You know, I actually like it. It's a little bland--it could use some water in there, I reckon--but all in all, it's clean while still having some cool meaning.

My thoughts exactly.

It's just missing that little something.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I think it's great. The Whitecaps (mountains) on top, and the reflection in the water...and the representation of 'V' and 'W' in the water as well.

I know! That's what i said.

Yet we still have to have someone crack out an "epic fail"...

Nobody's ever happy...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Here's an admittedly stupid question: Are the Whitecaps in this case a reference to the snow-capped mountains? Coming from Minnesota, I've always equated whitecaps to powerful waves on the open water; I've always assumed the Vancouver Whitecaps name referred to Pacific Ocean waves.

I don't mind that this logo is simple. That's appealing to a degree. It just doesn't seem like the emblem of a sports franchise. It looks like it could have been one of the discarded logo options for the Vancouver Olympics. Or the logo for a ski resort.

I'm not saying it has to have a soccer ball forced into it. But I'd like to see a little more than some chevrons and some bland type.

EDIT: Just noticed that the old logo is a wave, so this is indeed a change of reference for the Whitecaps to mountain peaks.

This is beyond an epic fail. I thought they'd rework the 1979 logo, but not this garbage.

Somewhere, Montreal Impact and Toronto FC supporters are laughing at Vancouver today. Not good.

Seriously? This logo deserves the "epic fail" over-used bland phrase? I don't think so...

No, no, no, it's beyond "epic fail." That means more than just the trite "epic fail."

TFC and Impact supporters aren't laughing, because most people outside this board don't give a :censored: about team logos. I was hoping for more of a shield-type, but I guess with every other team going that route, perhaps Vancouver did the right thing here.

I'd think they'd be keeping the band across the chest of the jersey, since that look's been around since NASL times.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Interesting.

The logo changes the team's traditional meaning of "whitecaps" as waves (see 1979 NASL logo and most recent/current A-league/USL logo) and transfers its meaning to white-capped mountain peaks, which is also appropriate for Vancouver. There is a still a nod to water with the "reflection", and the inclusion of V and W is inspired. Finally, the color scheme is historically appropriate, though one would think they could squeeze some red in there as a nod to the old NASL team... maybe a small red maple leaf above "Vancouver" or below "FC"... sort of like this?

whitecapsBR.JPG

It is what it is.

Interesting.

The logo changes the team's traditional meaning of "whitecaps" as waves (see 1979 NASL logo and most recent/current A-league/USL logo) and transfers its meaning to white-capped mountain peaks, which is also appropriate for Vancouver. There is a still a nod to water with the "reflection", and the inclusion of V and W is inspired. Finally, the color scheme is historically appropriate, though one would think they could squeeze some red in there as a nod to the old NASL team... maybe a small red maple leaf above "Vancouver" or below "FC"...

I"m tempted to say they've added mountains - they's still keeping water imagery (if slightly more still). Waiting to see how they use the brand before I'm confident in saying that they're losing the wave imagery entirely.

Interesting.

The logo changes the team's traditional meaning of "whitecaps" as waves (see 1979 NASL logo and most recent/current A-league/USL logo) and transfers its meaning to white-capped mountain peaks, which is also appropriate for Vancouver. There is a still a nod to water with the "reflection", and the inclusion of V and W is inspired. Finally, the color scheme is historically appropriate, though one would think they could squeeze some red in there as a nod to the old NASL team... maybe a small red maple leaf above "Vancouver" or below "FC"...

I"m tempted to say they've added mountains - they's still keeping water imagery (if slightly more still). Waiting to see how they use the brand before I'm confident in saying that they're losing the wave imagery entirely.

From the press release at MLSsoccer.com

The new logo, which will be used beginning in November, features the full name of the club “Vancouver Whitecaps FC” along with a depiction of the mountains and waterfront that characterize the city that served as host of the 2010 Winter Olympics. One of the featured colors is the “Whitecaps Blue,” used as a tribute to the color used in the club’s logo from the 1979 NASL Soccer Bowl championship season.

Interesting.

They stated in the video that the bottom "V W" is meant to represent the water, while the top portion is meant to represent the snow/ice caps of the mountains.

I think the biggest thing is keeping that stripe around the chest of their kits, I recognize that as a Whitecaps signature trait more than anything.

EDIT: type-o

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

though one would think they could squeeze some red in there as a nod to the old NASL team... maybe a small red maple leaf above "Vancouver" or below "FC"...

As a Canadian, I'm sick of Canadian teams having to remind everyone that they're Canadian by shoving a maple leaf in there somewhere. No one is mistaking Vancouver BC for Vancouver Washington. The world knows Vancouver is in Canada. The Toronto Blue Jays shoved a red maple leaf onto their sleeves, and it looks like :censored:. No. No more.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

though one would think they could squeeze some red in there as a nod to the old NASL team... maybe a small red maple leaf above "Vancouver" or below "FC"...

As a Canadian, I'm sick of Canadian teams having to remind everyone that they're Canadian by shoving a maple leaf in there somewhere. No one is mistaking Vancouver BC for Vancouver Washington. The world knows Vancouver is in Canada. The Toronto Blue Jays shoved a red maple leaf onto their sleeves, and it looks like :censored:. No. No more.

Would you be in favor of losing the maple leaf on the McDonald's arches? Some other company logos too...

Seems like if you're doing business in Canada, "Slap a leaf on it!"

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Not to mention MLS includes the flag on the left sleeve of all team's kits, so we REALLY don't need to include the leaf, it's already there.

Would you be in favor of losing the maple leaf on the McDonald's arches? Some other company logos too...

Seems like if you're doing business in Canada, "Slap a leaf on it!"

I've never understood the reasoning behind putting a leaf on every :censored:ing thing that Canadian companies do, especially Canadian subsidiaries of US companies. Putting a leaf on the arches doesn't mean McDonalds is Canadian, it means you're paying 40% more for the same :censored:ty food you can get in the states ($1.39 for a double cheese, and a JUNIOR chicken sandwich? I don't think so, sirs).

Shoehorning that leaf in there is pointless, US companies don't cram a star or an eagle onto every bloody thing they do, let your product stand for itself.

In this case especially, TFC has already staked that claim with the inclusion of RoboLeaf into their logo. Why use an element that they've laid claim to? When they were the only Canadian franchise in MLS, it sort of made sense, let them have it. A Canadian city that wants to badly to be American is using the Canadian element to promote its product.

Vancouver is a special breed of town. This new logo, now that I've looked at it nonstop forthe last half hour or so, is damned near perfect. It's low-key, but bold, and the colors really do complement the city in the same way that the Seahawks logo complements Seattle. It's far from an epic fail. It's a boatload of win.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Shame that DC United already has Volkswagen as a shirt sponsor.

At first, I thought the logo was a little too understated and plain. But having taken a good look at their previous crest, and getting the meaning behind the new one, I'm starting to come around on it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived