Vancouver Whitecaps to unveil new brand on June 8th

BrySmalls

Not to mention MLS includes the flag on the left sleeve of all team's kits, so we REALLY don't need to include the leaf, it's already there.

Slightly off-topic: MLS, can you please take the damned flags off the sleeves? Please?!?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That logo is effing gorgeous.

And would people PLEASE, for the sake of mine and other's sanity, stop using the term "epic fail".

Could we also squash the term "This logo FTW!"?

I suppose the whole "Upgrade"/"Downgrade" terminology is out too.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It's not terrible, but I'm disappointed because I was hoping for something closer to a modernization of their old NASL logo, which was just classic.

6022.gif

And the switch from the imagery of white-capped ocean waves to white snow-capped mountains was an unexpected change, but it does work both ways.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

I like it. A shield would have seemed redundant. This is clean, sharp, passes BBTV's "can be drawn by a kid at school" test, and uses only a few elements very, very well. It's one of the better logos in MLS, to be honest. And no, it doesn't need a maple leaf.

It's not terrible, but I'm disappointed because I was hoping for something closer to a modernization of their old NASL logo, which was just classic.

6022.gif

I disagree. There's nothing timeless or classic about the NASL identity. The NASL overall seems to be rather romanticized these days. The fact is that it was a failed league. They're gone, MLS is still here. I'm all for teams keeping old names that retain meaning in any given location, but sometimes it's best to break with the past when it comes to the visual identity.

And the switch from the imagery of white-capped ocean waves to white snow-capped mountains was an unexpected change, but it does work both ways.

Yep, it does. When I was seven I played organized soccer. We were the White Caps because a dentist sponsored us.

...passes BBTV's "can be drawn by a kid at school" test...

I find that "test" to be a terrible indicator of if a design is good (even if I like this logo).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I didn't favor using something similar to the old logo to relive the glorious history of the NASL. It just looks better. This mountain VW logo is okay, but it's just that. I got a similar feeling when the Sounders unveiled their logo. Just sort of a "Huh" kind of feeling." From what the Timbers have been hinting at, they are going to keep something similar to their past NASL and current USL crest.

But soccer clubs (and other sports teams) change logos from time to time, some for the better and some for the worse.

All that having been said, I really look forward to the Sounders, Timbers and Caps taking their old NASL and later USL rivalries to MLS.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Hmmm, definitely not what I was expecting, a lot different than my concept. I actually like it, could've been a LOT worse, but I like how it's a reflection and still makes a VW. I would've liked the VW water part on the bottom to be more curvy and look more like a reflection though. When will kits come out?

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I really like this... The simplicity goes well with a name like Whitecaps. The only downside, to me, is that when I first saw this:

whitecaps.jpg?t=1276011641

I saw this:

colorado_rapids_logo_post.jpg

Yeah, I know they are different colors but the mountains/shield format was already occupied in my mind by the Rapids...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

I like the design, but does the world really need another navy blue/light blue/white color combination? I know it's becoming a bit cliche to make every north Pacific coast team some sort of green/blue, but I really like the teal that the Whitecaps had on their old crest and it would have been nice to see that in the reflected mountains instead of columbia blue or whatever shade that is.

330zl3b.png

...passes BBTV's "can be drawn by a kid at school" test...

I find that "test" to be a terrible indicator of if a design is good (even if I like this logo).

Never underestimate the power of marketability. Having a logo that kids (young fans) can easily reproduce can go a long way to solidifying loyalty to the team.

While it may not always result in the best aesthetic design, it's often a good indicator that the logo can be easily marketed (and it's the latter that usually matters).

The White Caps' logo is, in my opinion, both. It'll be easy for kids to doodle, and it's a great mark on its own.

I really like this... The simplicity goes well with a name like Whitecaps. The only downside, to me, is that when I first saw this:

whitecaps.jpg?t=1276011641

I saw this:

colorado_rapids_logo_post.jpg

Yeah, I know they are different colors but the mountains/shield format was already occupied in my mind by the Rapids...

The two designs convey similar themes, but do so two unique ways. I don't see an issue.

I like it a lot, but I agree with some of the others who have said that it seems to be missing that one final element that would set it off. I wish it retained some kind of "wavy" element. I did a ridiculously basic mock-up:

whitecaps-mock.png

Something like that.

newlogo.jpg

beau-ti-ful

-as far as modernizing a logo goes, I've seen none better

-and if they're smart, (hmm??) they'll also come up with some retro kits using the classic logo as their 3rd kits... they'd make $$$ and look good doing so, which would be so much better than wearing something like the electric yellow Seattle wears as their third kits!

I for one, love it. It is simple and effective, clear and meaningful. It will be recognizable from a ways away as their crest, it references the city and team names, and has a hidden element. Speaking of hidden elements, do any other skiers see a bit of a Black Diamond (Triple Black Diamond?!!) element to it. For all non-skiers, trails are rated by colored shapes, and Black Diamonds mean difficult and Double Black Diamonds mean expert. Probably a big stretch, but my mind went there, so I thought I'd mention it. And yes, i know there is no Black. Again, love it.

edited to add: When I look at this I get the feel that it was designed back in the 60s or 70s or something and has stood the test of time. If the team stays around I see this lasting a looooong time.

Archived