Vancouver Whitecaps to unveil new brand on June 8th

BrySmalls

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you that like/collect team scarfs

scarf.jpg

That's me. Ordered!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It's not the worst logo ever but it's not exactly inspiring. It's kind of boring and sterile. It looks better suited to grace one of many new glass tower developments going up around town. I get the whole "simple" and "could be drawn by a kid" idea, but a kid could literally have drawn this, which is not good in my book.

The other side of the "a kid could draw this" thing is whether or not a kid would WANT to draw this logo. I just don't see it.

It's just missing something. A little hook or a flourish. It needs SOMETHING more than just a collection of straight lines of equal length.

The "a kid could draw this" is something I find very USA American.

Working in both the USA and Europe, I find myself constantly having to justify my clean designs to clients in the USA while clients in Europe truly appreciate the most minimal of designs. I attribute much of it to our surroundings. In Europe they have very limited space and thus appreciate and welcome minimalism. In the USA we seem to have unlimited space and constantly want to fill it up with everything... over design. Not saying one is good or the other bad, just noting the difference.

That being said, I've always seen Canada as having a much more European aesthetic and thus this minimal approach seems quite fitting.

I really like what Vancouver did. I've found that I get a much better feel for a logo after looking at it for a day and not making a decision until I see it for a while. Especially here, at first I thought it was too simple, but now I think it's a very good logo. I like how the reflection forms the VW in the "water". If they tried to fit anything more into this, it would look too cluttered. The MLS has been doing an excellent job in the past few years with team identities, this is no different.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

After looking at that stuff, I'll wait till the navy blue merch comes out.

Also, they'd better smarten up with the pricing. I can get awesome-looking Sounders gear for $20, $35 for a t-shirt is utterly stupid.

I see an exchange coming in our futures.

Me thinks I've been reading too many Dan Brown novels. Last night, when I saw this:

whitecaps.jpg?t=1276011641

I thought of this:

sqcum.gif

I need help!!! :blink:

When you start seeing all this allusions and symbols in everyday things you are far beyond help. Welcome to the club! :wacko:

Awful, just awful. The old logo and uniforms were great. This is really poor branding.

Then again, I think any corporate sponsorship on any jersey, any where is terrible. Why would I root for a team with AIG on their jerseys. After all, it was a guy named Cassano, who worked for AIG, that was partially responsible for the economic meltdown. And after AIG took all those taxpayer dollars?

It is just . . . not right.

It's been said before, I'm sure, but doesn't all these teams adding "FC" to their names make "MLS" especially goofy? I don't think "MLF" would be an improvement or anything, but I can't recall any other league with such rampant identity issues.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Very underwhelming. It looks like a half-finished concept shown during the middle stages of the design process, not a fully fleshed out logo. The font choice is atrocious - Avenir is more suited to a hospital logo than a sports logo.

Thank you. I've been waiting for someone to say this (though I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a post expressing a similar sentiment a few pages back). What ruins the logo for me is the font of the word "Whitecaps". That's it. If the font had any kind of style to it at all, it would be much better. As it is, this is a great bottled water logo, as others have pointed out.

Awful, just awful. The old logo and uniforms were great.

Can we quit pretending that their current logo is great? It's so not. Like most USL/NASL/USSF-D2 teams, it's terrible.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Can we quit pretending that their current logo is great? It's so not. Like most USL/NASL/USSF-D2 teams, it's terrible.

Agreed.

Even if this wasn't a great logo, they were almost guaranteed an upgrade based on how terrible their current one is.

Agreed.

Even if this wasn't a great logo, they were almost guaranteed an upgrade based on how terrible their current one is.

Thirded. Why do people cling to anything that references the NASL? I really don't get it.

Agreed.

Thirded. Why do people cling to anything that references the NASL? I really don't get it.

Fourthed? Forthed?..I too agree with this statement.

The font is a little underwhelming, but overall I like the logo and the thought that went into it. Very clean, very classy, neither overly modern nor overly faux-retro.

As Droost said.... Bell will be the jersey sponsor.

They'll be doing the unveiling streaming online here.

Word is expect white and blue (no big surprise there) but no word on the stripe across the chest remaining....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Agreed.

Just to clarify, I meant the "new NASL". Mind you, most logos in the old NASL were a hot mess as well.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

You guys know as well as I do that some people just don't like anything that gets released, period. This site is the place where internet males gather to bitch about logos instead of Maxim "models."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived