Vancouver Whitecaps to unveil new brand on June 8th

BrySmalls

I think the MLS is finally starting to "get it". They are moving away from ridiculous piping and and random patches of wavy striping that was pretty much league standard only a few seasons ago. I don't know if this is adidas starting to not be idiots or the MLS telling them to practice some simplicity, but either way, it's a good thing. I feel like they are trying their hardest to emulate aspects of European soccer uniforms in an attempt to get more people to pay attention to American soccer. Although I like soccer, I dont really pay attention to the European leagues, but I can at least recognize some of the iconic looks like Manchester United, Barcelona, Arsenal, etc. The most recent uniforms for expansion teams like Seattle and Vancouver and hopefully Portland have been inspired. Hopefully the MLS can continue to refine the uniforms for every team as they expand to the pacific northwest and get some better quality players from europe, I know I would pay attention more and I think more of the country would as a whole, as the World Cup seems to have inspired some soccer fever. Sorry, football.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The unis are very well done but the logo is no where near as perfect as some people are making it out to be.

I think its okay but could have been much better. My biggest pet peave is that they should have used a thicker font to emphasize the mountains a lot more then they did. Its seems to me that the letters stand out more than the "mountains" do and it bothers me. This logo could easily blend the two parts more equally: ie. the 'V' and 'W' fonts and the mountain reference by thickening the width of the letters and lines in the logo. Again, its good...but no where close to being "great" as many people are referring to it in my opinion. I like the fact that there is a 'V' and a 'W' in the logo but I feel it should have been displayed with a thicker font.

Could something like this have worked?

whitecapslogo20112.png

It's basically a mashup and recolouring of the 1979, current D-2 and MLS logos.

Not that great, unfortunately.

The waves clash with the straight, sharp mountains. The font is way to dated. And the leaf is unnecessary. Besides, I doubt Vancouver sports fans, judging from Lee, would be willing to support an identity that used a blue maple leaf.

I wish MLS would also stick to the European season format as well--home and away against every other team and the team with the most points wins the championship. Also, dump the East/West conference system, and make the playoffs separate from the season (i.e. LA wins the league last season; RSL wins the tournament). Just my two cents.

Oh, and Vancouver wins the Pacific Northwest rivalry from a uniform perspective hands down.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

232px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Slovenia.svg.png

I love this!

That would be awesome, my only change would be the red outline to a color that the whitecaps have used before, like a greeny-blue or a light blue.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

gdwfc11381010.jpg

gdwfc11251010.jpg

Purely fantastic. Both designs are unique and look incredible. The pattern on the blues is very sharp and the stripes on the whites have a cool effect. I'll wait unitl Portland unviels thier set, but as of now, Vancouver has the best looking set in the league.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

232px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Slovenia.svg.png

I love this!

That would be awesome, my only change would be the red outline to a color that the whitecaps have used before, like a greeny-blue or a light blue.

Lol, thats the Slovenia coat of arms.

Really? I guess they would mind if Vancouver used it then. Lol.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Vancouver blue kit look awesome, I'm not too crazy about the white one with stripes that isn't complete...

The logo is really missing something, they should put a bit of snow on the mountain part like what the previous poster mentioned about..

Hi there,

I'm the marketing manager for the Whitecaps and worked closely on the new logo and kit over that last year. I've enjoyed reading all the comments and appreciate the various opinions. One thing that I did want to touch on, was the wave that is present in our current logo and the 1979 logo. This was a point of contention for me and I pushed to have it not included in the new logo. The primary reason is that we do not have that type of 'surfing' wave in Vancouver. As a result, the whitecaps in the ocean are at the crest of 'chops', which are sort of mini-waves created by wind. The wave in our previous logos always seemed out of place, like they belonged on a team on the California coast somewhere. As a result, our new logo was an attempt to get back to the true meaning of the name of the club - so whitecapped mountains and water, and no giant wave.

Ryan

Archived