Chicago Blackhawks Logo has to go?

Morgan33

Saw this article on Uniwatch a couple weeks ago and was surprised that it wasn't mentioned on these boards. Apparantly Sports Columnist Damien Cox thinks its time for the Blackhawks to dump their Classic, Iconic logo referring to it as "The cultural equivalent of a Cigar Store Indian." Link to the story below...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/815709--cox-offensive-blackhawks-logo-has-got-to-go

Thoughts?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Blackhawks logo is iconic and it isnt even offensive.. and nicely done and drawn.. nothing rude about that so it basically is a clean logo that's all...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

As referenced in the article, let's talk with the University of North Dakota about a "realistic", "non-racist", "unoffensive" team name and logo. (The logo was actually created by a Native American artist.) Alas, the Fighting Sioux are soon to be no more.

well I look at it from a different angle

you can argue that it's not racist or assume it's not offensive to anybody but to me but that's not the point - it's just not a good image to reflect current society

case in point...there would NEVER ever ever ever ever be a NEW logo made by a professional sports team that would be the image of a native american man's face/likeness or that of any other minority group

the fact that it would never be created or accepted (if it was new) today speaks volumes as to just how outdated it is

with all the creativity and resources available today I'm sure someone could come up with a logo that is more reflective of current society and also is versatile, impactful and representative of the team

I always wish they would modernize the secondary logo (shoulder patch "C" w crossed tomahawk) and use that as the main logo, or simply design something based off the blackhawk name like an actual BLACK HAWK...someone could make a fierce looking black colored hawk that would probably look pretty awesome w the red & black color scheme

I don't think changing a logo means you're throwing everything about your team away...the blackhawks have a new fan base, a rejuvinated franchise and a young team and I really think all the people who would rather see the sun fall out of the sky than change the logo from the head of a native american are in the minority

Does the brand sell?

Yes it does.

Oh, so will it change?

No.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

well I look at it from a different angle

you can argue that it's not racist or assume it's not offensive to anybody but to me but that's not the point - it's just not a good image to reflect current society

case in point...there would NEVER ever ever ever ever be a NEW logo made by a professional sports team that would be the image of a native american man's face/likeness or that of any other minority group

the fact that it would never be created or accepted (if it was new) today speaks volumes as to just how outdated it is

with all the creativity and resources available today I'm sure someone could come up with a logo that is more reflective of current society and also is versatile, impactful and representative of the team

I always wish they would modernize the secondary logo (shoulder patch "C" w crossed tomahawk) and use that as the main logo, or simply design something based off the blackhawk name like an actual BLACK HAWK...someone could make a fierce looking black colored hawk that would probably look pretty awesome w the red & black color scheme

I don't think changing a logo means you're throwing everything about your team away...the blackhawks have a new fan base, a rejuvinated franchise and a young team and I really think all the people who would rather see the sun fall out of the sky than change the logo from the head of a native american are in the minority

What if a college or pro team wanted to do it and followed the Florida State or Central Michigan model?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

One day, I don't know when, all person based mascots will be gone.

that will be a sad day

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

For the hockey team, the name came from the wish of founder Frederic McLaughlin back in 1926 to honour his battalion from World War I, which was nicknamed after Chief Black Hawk of the Saux Nation

Not sure if he's Sauk or Sioux? Split the difference! FACKIN' SAUX NATION!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's nothing wrong about the Blackhawks' logo. The team was named for good intentions. There's absolutely no reason to change it. And, as far as Damian Cox goes, he seems to be one of those 'I know more than everybody else' type of reporters, so I wouldn't worry too much about anything he writes. Why even bring this up now when he could have done it at any point in the season.

If the Blackhawks dump a logo, it should be the stupid shoulder patch alarm clock one. There's nothing sacred about an original six logo, but this is probably the least offensive Native American-related identity in sports.

I myself am of native canadian descent and i bought a Johnathan Toews jersey because of the Blackhawk. Im a Leafs fan but am also a proud Native too and this logo doesnt really bother me. Either does the Braves or the Indians logos. The Washington Redskins though i do have a problem with. I doubt theyre named after the tribe and am sure theyre named after the derogatory term for natives. But only religious people with nothing to do who have problems with Devil in the name Devil Rays get their say and get results. Either way, as long as these teams including the 'Skins dont degrate the native people then i say run with it. The Hawks, Indians, Skins and Braves have been around for years so its too late to change now. Play nice everyone!

I don't want to take sides in this debate, but knowing that it comes up here from time to time, I took this shot (with this board in mind) of an interesting T-shirt I saw outside of Wrigley Field starting last year:

4663944295_a5089aede0_m.jpg

I doubt it would satisfy the PC crowd or the traditionalists -- and it may have already been discussed here -- but I thought it was an interesting concept (and much better than the distinctly non-PC stuff that is normally sold on a bootleg shirt outside Wrigley). It wasn't worth starting a thread over, but now that it's here...

(P.S. I wonder who owns the trademark to this.)

Archived