Brady and Big Ben with the Revoloution

thull

Both Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger have worn the traditional helmet their whole careers. But it seems both of them are sporting the "Manning-esque" REVO design during OTA's. I wonder if they are just trying it out, or making a permanent switch? Big Ben has obviously had a history of concussions, so I'm sure Steelers officials have been wanting him to make the change for some time now...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201006/20100601steelers4_330.jpg

I don't have an image of Brady:(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this thread should immediately become, "players who made weird helmet switches". I was thinking about starting a thread the other day. You usually get so used to seeing a player in one helmet, then they change it.

McNabb was wearing this the other day. I cant find a pic

413152d1262803565-ielegance-icons-redskins-helmet.jpg

I am really surprised by the brady change

btw 2 Brady pictures

22__1275511741_2842.jpg

20__1275511232_5540.jpg

Notice that the Patriot logo on Bradys helmet is not completely sticking to the helmet due to the vent hole. This looks as ifs going to be an issue with helmet logos that extend over the vent.

I feel like I've seen pics of QBs in years past who wore Revos in camp but then ended up switching back for the regular season, Jake Delhomme and Brian Griese come to mind. Let's see if they keep these things once September comes around.

And that sticker really does look stupid bridging across the vent, that is gonna be a problem. I'm sure they could analyze all the helmet logos and figure out a less intrusive vent placement.

I feel like I've seen pics of QBs in years past who wore Revos in camp but then ended up switching back for the regular season, Jake Delhomme and Brian Griese come to mind. Let's see if they keep these things once September comes around.

That's an excellent point, because I remember Brady originally wore the Revolutiuon during mini-camp in 2002, then chucking it b/c, IIRC, he said it felt like he was wearing a lacrosse helmet. Maybe he's since changed his mind?

So, that's obviously not a helmet that any Seahawk could ever wear. Or have they already? What would the vent hole intrusion do to that decal?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That's an excellent point, because I remember Brady originally wore the Revolutiuon during mini-camp in 2002, then chucking it b/c, IIRC, he said it felt like he was wearing a lacrosse helmet. Maybe he's since changed his mind?

His mind may have been changed since the issue of concussions in the NFL is much more of an issue that it even was 10 years ago. Even this week, the NFL was on Capitol Hill discussing head injuries.

not sure if this is still true but I don't think there is conclusive evidence that the revo reduces concussions in a statistically significant manner...also why on earth are riddell's designs so goddam ugly compared to schutt?..safety cannot be 100% the reason for not having facemasks with clean lines and uneven shells.

ironically in my personal opinion/experience... the improvement in equipment and the increase in athleticism (rampant PED's)has allowed football players to turn themselves into projectiles...and much like boxing the long term brain damage comes from repeated moderate blows to the head which modern equipment masks in the short term...back in the old days a player delivering a blow would think twice before delivering a blow because it would equally harm the one delivering the hit as the one receiving.

a really interesting case study is pro rugby...massive guys that are phenomal(sp) athletes that play a full tackle sport...but the key difference is that they can't deliver head first hits (you'll knock yourself out)...and the rules require that you have to extend your arms outward to make a tackle...imagine all the separated shoulders in the nfl if players tried to pull off an airborne tackle and actually had to make an effort to grasp.

if american football outlawed the projectile/forearm shiver/tucked shoulder tackle the game would be infinitely safer and more exciting because it would return the "tackle" back to football...the human missile is not football in my opinion...the "night train lane" clothesline tackle is more football because it actually required a wrap.

last point...it would negate all career "tackles" recorded by deion sanders which is always a good thing. :D

Riddell?s primary tool in marketing the Revolution since 2006 is been a study that claimed the helmet reduced concussions by 31 percent. Rightfully so, we do not have helmet "rankings" as it would give players and parents a false sense of security about the protection which the helmet would give them.

The only current standardized safety protocol for helmets, overseen by NOCSAE (National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment), is a drop test designed to simulate only the forces that would cause skull fracture. Approved helmets have a sticker, similar to a "Good Housekeeping" seal

The NFL has developed a new device, called a "linear impactor", in which the helmet is essentially punched at various force levels by a plunger parallel to the ground. However this test is considered invalid and not reliable by some experts due to the NFL's relationship with Riddell (the official helmet supplier). The engineer of the Revo, works for the lab which the new NFL testing is being conducted. Riddell approved this new test while Schutt has declines comment.

I actually prefer the Revo speed look to the first Revos, since they made the facemask at least somewhat traditional looking compared to the Manning style, I still find those repulsive. I'll tell you what facemask I reeeeeally miss though, that I don't think anyone besides Byron Leftwich still sports:

dan-marino.jpg

I actually prefer the Revo speed look to the first Revos, since they made the facemask at least somewhat traditional looking compared to the Manning style, I still find those repulsive. I'll tell you what facemask I reeeeeally miss though, that I don't think anyone besides Byron Leftwich still sports:

dan-marino.jpg

I've never liked that mask, it looks doofy to me. I'm pretty sure Chad Pennington still wears that mask and I know Brad Johnson did too.

I don't know what it is about these helmets, but I hate them. I much prefer the less-safe but more traditional looking helmets. I love the classic Joe Montana QB facemask with two vertical bars and nothing else.

Matt Schaub is also trying out a new helmet.

2009 Season:

matt-schaub.jpg

2010 Minicamp:

09000d5d8184a591_gallery_600.jpg

I think many players are wearing this now because the standard riddell helmet is no longer being sold.

Archived