Pro Player Authentic NHL Jersey Question

Morgan33

Does anybody know the story behind the Pro Player Brand of NHL Jerseys and why they only lasted one season? During the 1998/99 season, teams either used Starter or CCM Jerseys. Then in 1999/2000 they all abruptly switched to the Pro Player brand before ditching the brand entirely in favour of Koho and CCM by the next season. Does anybody know why these jereys were eliminated so quickly after becoming the league standard for one season. Im curious because I recently purchased a Pro-Player Authentic, Phoenix Coyotes jersey and Im really impressed by the quality. The material is much heavier and smoother then the material used on the authentic CCM Jerseys I own and it seems to be better constructed as well. Here are a couple photos of said jersey.

000000000000000000phoenix1.jpg000000000000000000phoenix2.jpg

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Pro Player (which had bought out the Starter NHL contract) went out of business before the '00-'01 season. Thier group of teams were given to The Hockey Company (CCM and Koho) for that year, although you can find an occasional Minnesota Wild and Columbus Blue Jacket Pro Player replica jersey...

ProPlayer made some of the best jerseys of all-time. The replicas were almost exactly like the alternates, very high quality stuff. Wish they still outfitted the NHL, or least lasted a few more seasons.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I have 3 Pro Player replicas - Blues, Panthers, and Rangers Liberty - and they're just the most comfortable things. They're like loose-fitting, lightweight sweatshirts. I remember that, after Pro Player went under, Value City grabbed up their liquidated inventory, much as they had with Starter the year before. If I'd had a decent level of disposable income back then I would have been all over that. Even now, I just type in "pro player jersey" on eBay to see if anything good comes up. I'd love to get a purple Kings alt (with the crown on front) done by them.

As for the Coyotes, I own a 96-97 Starter authentic Coyotes jersey, and it's the heaviest jersey I have. They must have preferred that heavyweight material, for whatever reason. Plus, those beige patterned inserts on the sleeves and hem seem pretty thick.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

ProPlayer made some of the best jerseys of all-time. The replicas were almost exactly like the alternates, very high quality stuff. Wish they still outfitted the NHL, or least lasted a few more seasons.

This is true. The Flyers Pro Player replicas were the only ones out there that actually had the crest right (sans black outline - CCM NEVER got it right on replicas.) This is also right around the time that teams all started going to the same air-knit material for their sweaters - prior to the late '90s, you'd have wide mesh, super-heavy solid poly (think double-knit), air-knit, etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have a Blues Pro Player replica blue jersey and it has an Eastern conference logo on the tail.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I own a replica Canadiens white Pro Player jersey and a replica Senators white Pro Player jersey that I both bought in 2001. The Canadiens jersey is of fantastic quality and the crest was sewn on (although it is now showing its wear). The Senators replica on the other hand was probably the most horribly innaccurate jersey I ever owned. The stripes are way too far down the sleeves and the crest had fallen apart completely after only about 2 years. I haven't worn it at all since about 2002.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

First off thanks for all the responses, I couldnt find anything on the internet about the Pro Player Brand so appreciate you guys shedding some light on the subject.

I thought Pro Player was crap. I only own two though.

Are the two you own Replica's or authentics? No way are the Authentics crap. As for Replica's, the worst ones I've ever seen are the Starter jerseys from the mid 90's. The crests all look really cheap and alot of the colours and proportions are ridiculously wrong. For example the shoulder patches on the old Avalanche ones are far too big for the proportions of the jerseys and are embroidered in a mat-silver instead of the shiny silver used on the Authentics.

I have 3 Pro Player replicas - Blues, Panthers, and Rangers Liberty - and they're just the most comfortable things. They're like loose-fitting, lightweight sweatshirts. I remember that, after Pro Player went under, Value City grabbed up their liquidated inventory, much as they had with Starter the year before.

Ohhh, I cleaned up at the combined Starter/Pro Player buyouts at Value City. Good stuff.

At the Starter one, there were literally racks and racks of Rangers, Panthers, and Coyotes authentics. $30.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I was wearing my white Blackhawks Pro Player replica yesterday, and was reminded of one of the best details about that particular jersey. From around 1995-2006, Starter, and then Pro Player, were the only manufacturers to use the correct shoulder patches on Blackhawks replicas. CCM and Nike/Bauer used the inferior "Oval C" version, which crept into the Hawks' identity for no good reason in the mid-'90s, and even worse, is still around.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

d/p

I have a Pro Player, replica, Tampa jersey and the material on that thing is the best I've ever seen for retaining autographs. The ink from sharpies really holds a lot better than any CCM/KOHO/RBK I've seen since.

I was wearing my white Blackhawks Pro Player replica yesterday, and was reminded of one of the best details about that particular jersey. From around 1995-2006, Starter, and then Pro Player, were the only manufacturers to use the correct shoulder patches on Blackhawks replicas. CCM and Nike/Bauer used the inferior "Oval C" version, which crept into the Hawks' identity for no good reason in the mid-'90s, and even worse, is still around.

Ugh, I hate that version of the shoulder patches. I'm lucky my Nike is authentic :D

BTW, does anyone know when the time period when Nike made NHL jerseys was? I'm gonna get mine customized but I have to make sure it's era appropriate, of course.

330zl3b.png

Archived