Golden State Warriors unveil new logo + uniform

north dakota

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the most pathetic redesign in professional sports of the past 20 years IMO.

• Copperplate? Really? Was Courier just not doing it for ya?

• Why is the circle thicker at the bottom? Depth?? Modern customization??? More like stupidity.

• WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

• nice clipart state

there's nothing wrong with doing a modern update of an old logo, but at least make it better.

18 months to come up with a turd. This just plain sucks donkey balls and the designers should be embarrassed.

It's not even the most pathetic redesign of this year. Still bad, but let's not get carried away. At least they paid the FEE OF DOOM to make new logos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh man. This is painfully bad.

Looks like someone in the front office has a 12 year old that got to create GS' new set.

They should have hired a designer.

Anyone that says this is better than their current set is flippin' BLIND. Their current set looks professional. It looks like someone actually thought about what they were going to do. This? This looks like something my mom could do within 20 minutes on MS Word.

Yes, MS Word. Not even Paint. Word.

Word.

The thing I hate most about this set is when they put an outline on the Copperplate, the points become squared.

Sounds weird, but that's such a gear-grinder for me. You see it happen all the time on menus in restaurants, and now apparently professional sports franchises

Clearly I'm in the minority but I really like it. It's a major upgrade over their current set.

I'm not sure you are in the minority.

Is this a great design, maybe not. Some very good elements, an inspired primary logo, coupled with some laziness (standard extremely-common font wordmark).

But the old set was so horrible that this new design, deeply flawed, is still a huge upgrade.

The mistake you made here, which is more or less the same mistake in most of your concepts involving sublimated images on the fronts of jerseys, is that you're thinking in terms of front, side, and back portions of a template to fill without seeming to consider the gestalt of it. As such, the bridge on the front abruptly turns into horizontal panels along the sides (which don't quite line up with the similar waistbands they're next to), which themselves terminate just as abruptly into nothing.

Yeah, I realize the bridge effect isn't perfect, but to be fair, it was a very quick, rough concept. I'm definitely going to make a fully fleshed-out finished version for the Concepts board as soon as I get my hands on a better basketball template. The horizontal line on the side was actually a mistake, I was going to have it taper off to look more like a triangle, which also wouldn't look good come to think of it.

You can't use Copperplate as a NOB typeface because that lettering needs to be taller than than it is wide, and Copperplate is just the opposite. You can mess with it so that it does fit the proportions of athletic block, but if you do that with a font that's really not meant to do that, it looks really ugly and strange.

I actually used Copperplate Condensed for the NOB, but fair enough. I hope that if the team does go for NOB's that match the script, they get a custom version of Copperplate with the right dimensions.

The numbers on the back aren't on the same angle as the trolley, so that's distracting in addition to having the trolley in the first place, to say nothing of the transportation mixed metaphor which was just as bothersome the first time around as it is now.

Huh. They looked the same when I made it but on second glance, they're not even close.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I'll certainly take it into consideration when I make a better version for the Concepts forum.

As for the Rockets and Hawks jerseys:

hawks90s.jpgbarkley-pippen.jpg

Come on. These didn't look nearly as bad on the court as they've been hyped up to be on these boards. Maybe the Rockets set would've looked better if the pinstripes continued through the whole uniform instead of fading off near the top. Certainly they looked far better and more creative than this Warriors set is going to look.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Those jerseys were actually creative and looked nice on the court.

No, they really didn't.

Come on. It's his gimmick. You should know this by now.

Just like DX's gimmick with Hornswaggle I'll accept it, but I don't have to like it.

Clearly I'm in the minority but I really like it. It's a major upgrade over their current set.

While you (and I) may be in the minority, that doesn't change the reality that it is a big upgrade. There are parts of it that are inexcuseably bad (copperplate?), but the set it replaces is historically aweful.

The warriors identity was based on Native American images, which are obviously not acceptable anymore. They've struggled to shift the meaning, and failed miserably. What they finally realized was that they're in a big enough market with enough of an identity of it's own, so they don't need Thunder Warrior Man gimmicks. Play up the local imagery, and keep the nickname around for the kids. IMO all big market teams should market this way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Come on. It's his gimmick. You should know this by now.

God forbid someone actually LIKES jerseys with unique uniform elements or even (gasp!) gradients on here! I guess I should start thinking that all teams should have one-colored jerseys with the name and number in standard block lettering then. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

This is the most pathetic redesign in professional sports of the past 20 years IMO.

Copperplate? Really? Was Courier just not doing it for ya?

Why is the circle thicker at the bottom? Depth?? Modern customization??? More like stupidity.

WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

nice clipart statethere's nothing wrong with doing a modern update of an old logo, but at least make it better.

18 months to come up with a turd. This just plain sucks donkey balls and the designers should be embarrassed.

Wait, you wanted them to re-design the state?

Brilliant.

"the most pathetic redesign in 20 years"? Really? OKcity Thunder, Buffaslug? No, you're going for this. Your credability is wobbling.

? Copperplate? Really? Was Courier just not doing it for ya?

? Why is the circle thicker at the bottom? Depth?? Modern customization??? More like stupidity.

? WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

? nice clipart statethere's nothing wrong with doing a modern update of an old logo, but at least make it better.

Brilliant.

"the most pathetic redesign in 20 years"? Really? OKcity Thunder, Buffaslug? No, you're going for this. Your credability is wobbling.

Really. There's hyperbole, and then there's straight-up lunacy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Copperplate? Really? Was Courier just not doing it for ya?

• Why is the circle thicker at the bottom? Depth?? Modern customization??? More like stupidity.

• WARRIORS isn't even centered below the ball

nice clipart statethere's nothing wrong with doing a modern update of an old logo, but at least make it better.

Brilliant.

Yes, It's my opinion that this is worse than those you listed. The execution is horrible, lack of creativity in both font choice and overall design is

first year design student at best. A least the the Slug was an attempt at actual logo design and created a custom wordmark.

And No, I do not expect anyone to redraw what the shape of California is. You can however do more than double outline it and slap a W on top of it.

Archived