2010 NBA Offseason

Titanium Eagle

How?s this for an idea?.Barkley ahs come out and said he wants the opportunity to prove himself as a GM in this league, so why not fire O?Connor and make the bold move of hiring Barkley!?! Ok, ok, ok, maybe that?s not such a good move, but it would be one of the most exciting moves the Jazz have made in recent history!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha that's EXACTLY who I mean, Wasatch! :D

I swear, he's worse than Ric Buecher. And I never thought that was possible. A five year old could tell him that we traded Mathews for LeBron James and I'm sure he'd report it. Probably start it screaming "Breaking NEWS!!! **long pause** out of Salt Lake. Would you believe....Wes Mathews.........................for L....B....J?"

And you're right about O' Connor, it's just the believer in me hoping he wakes up from his coma and realizes that we're actually in a bad spot. I swear he must think we're the 1997 team, but we aren't even close. There's times where I want to scream "KEVIN!!" in anger like Catharine O' Hara in "Home Alone" because he's really the most hardheaded executive in the league. Especially the last few years, I think he's turning into Al Davis.

Oh I hear ya! David Locke is the absolute worst radio personally you could have calling your games; and it certainly doesn?t help that he?s following in the footsteps of one of the greats, Hall of Famer Hot Rod Hundley! And as for Kevin O?Connor and the Jazz?.it?s time for him to move on. I swear this team doesn?t ever see the crystal clear writing on the wall, EVER; they simply just love to hold onto these relationships, even when it?s detrimental to the progress of the team itself! Just you watch, we have D-Will now, one of the best point guards in the world, and we?ll end up losing him because of our lack of ability to truly improve this team!

Oh absolutely, I really miss growing up listening to Hot Rod. That man's voice was pure gold. The man could sell mud if you asked him to. Locke on the other hand, he'd try but someone would get annoyed and break his nose.

And yeah, they really gotta change things up. I really do think D-Will is going to bolt in a few years. And if O' Connor is still around then, he'll do nothing like always. His defenders say "well his teams have been to the playoffs 24 of the past 25 years." And I say, well that's fantastic. But don't you think we'd have a title by now with all of those chances in the playoffs? What do we have to show for all those appearances but exits?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Haha and I'd actually be open to the Barkley idea. He'd pull the trigger we've always needed pulled. At this point, anyone, and I mean ANYONE would be better than O' Connor.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I swear, he's worse than Ric Buecher. And I never thought that was possible. A five year old could tell him that we traded Mathews for LeBron James and I'm sure he'd report it. Probably start it screaming "Breaking NEWS!!! **long pause** out of Salt Lake. Would you believe....Wes Mathews.........................for L....B....J?"

And you're right about O' Connor, it's just the believer in me hoping he wakes up from his coma and realizes that we're actually in a bad spot. I swear he must think we're the 1997 team, but we aren't even close. There's times where I want to scream "KEVIN!!" in anger like Catharine O' Hara in "Home Alone" because he's really the most hardheaded executive in the league. Especially the last few years, I think he's turning into Al Davis.

Oh I hear ya! David Locke is the absolute worst radio personally you could have calling your games; and it certainly doesn?t help that he?s following in the footsteps of one of the greats, Hall of Famer Hot Rod Hundley! And as for Kevin O?Connor and the Jazz?.it?s time for him to move on. I swear this team doesn?t ever see the crystal clear writing on the wall, EVER; they simply just love to hold onto these relationships, even when it?s detrimental to the progress of the team itself! Just you watch, we have D-Will now, one of the best point guards in the world, and we?ll end up losing him because of our lack of ability to truly improve this team!

Oh absolutely, I really miss growing up listening to Hot Rod. That man's voice was pure gold. The man could sell mud if you asked him to. Locke on the other hand, he'd try but someone would get annoyed and break his nose.

And yeah, they really gotta change things up. I really do think D-Will is going to bolt in a few years. And if O' Connor is still around then, he'll do nothing like always. His defenders say "well his teams have been to the playoffs 24 of the past 25 years." And I say, well that's fantastic. But don't you think we'd have a title by now with all of those chances in the playoffs? What do we have to show for all those appearances but exits?

That's what it is to be a Jazz fan; we're spoiled but yet we don't know what it truly feels like to win a title! It kind of makes me wonder, outside of the Cubs, how many other teams would really appreciate winning that first title more than Jazz fans? I can remember being at #6 of the '98 Finals and watching the Bulls shove the Larry O'Brien Trophy in our faces and I swear nothing has ever been so painful as a sports fan!

That's what it is to be a Jazz fan; we're spoiled but yet we don't know what it truly feels like to win a title! It kind of makes me wonder, outside of the Cubs, how many other teams would really appreciate winning that first title more than Jazz fans? I can remember being at #6 of the '98 Finals and watching the Bulls shove the Larry O'Brien Trophy in our faces and I swear nothing has ever been so painful as a sports fan!

Clipper Nation.

Imagine being a Clippers fan like me and having to watch your crosstown rivals shove not just one, but SEVENTEEN Larry O'Brien Trophies in your face over the years. And meanwhile, your franchise operated at an inept level for decades and now operates like a normal one but still gets joked about all the time. Imagine having to see all those Lakers banners for championships and retired numbers and not being able to see any Clippers championships or retired numbers to cancel it out.

Winning a championship with LeBron, Melo, Pierce, or any other big name we can pick up this summer will mean never hearing the sentence "It's the Clippers" in a negative or demeaning light again.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Clipper Nation.

Imagine being a Clippers fan like me and having to watch your crosstown rivals shove not just one, but SEVENTEEN Larry O'Brien Trophies in your face over the years. And meanwhile, your franchise operated at an inept level for decades and now operates like a normal one but still gets joked about all the time. Imagine having to see all those Lakers banners for championships and retired numbers and not being able to see any Clippers championships or retired numbers to cancel it out.

Winning a championship with LeBron, Melo, Pierce, or any other big name we can pick up this summer will mean never hearing the sentence "It's the Clippers" in a negative or demeaning light again.

That brings up an excellent point! Do you think a fan would be more appreciative of a championship if his/her team reached the pinnacle after they?ve experienced very little if no success at all, or do you think do it would be a greater high if your team has constantly come close only to fall short and let that trophy slip through your fingers time and time again? It?s hard to argue which side has it worse.

I would think for most Clipper fans, you know year after year that you have no chance what-so-ever of winning the title, so you?re really not that disappointed. There?s no opportunity for emotion to get involved. Then again, I haven?t been in your shoes before so I really can?t say.

Oh I hear ya! David Locke is the absolute worst radio personally you could have calling your games; and it certainly doesn’t help that he’s following in the footsteps of one of the greats, Hall of Famer Hot Rod Hundley! And as for Kevin O’Connor and the Jazz….it’s time for him to move on. I swear this team doesn’t ever see the crystal clear writing on the wall, EVER; they simply just love to hold onto these relationships, even when it’s detrimental to the progress of the team itself! Just you watch, we have D-Will now, one of the best point guards in the world, and we’ll end up losing him because of our lack of ability to truly improve this team!

That is exactly the life of a Jazz fan. And of course we're that small market that nobody cares about, so nobody realizes that. But the life of a Jazz fan is simple: You have a good year, you make the playoffs, you lose, you watch your team do nothing in the offseason to get better, repeat. That's basically it. Of course we havent been around as long as the Cubs, but I'm always just as frustrated year in and year out with our result. I mean, it's one thing to be like the Cubs and make big moves and still lose, but to do NOTHING? Ugh, nothing ticks me off more than that. The only reason I still root for them is because it's in my blood, so there's no stopping that. I bleed blue or purple or whatever color they decide to wear that year, but I know some friends who just cant stand the Jazz because its the same story year in and year out. With us, it's not "Wait till next year", it's "Wait till the year after next" or "Wait till Kevin O' Connor leaves". I can't tell you how ecstatic I'd be at the sight of us winning the title, i'd probably start a riot myself. And i'm not even kidding :P if they do it while i'm at college up in Utah State, Logan is gonna see some hardcore chaos :P

And I was six in 1998, and even at that young age I fully understood what was going on. I lived just north of the Utah-Arizona border then, so we never attended games back then, but every Jazz game was "stop what you're doing and put the game on" time at my house back then :P Anyways, I remember the crossover push-off, the shot, everything. The sight of the BULLS swarming on OUR court really killed me. I remember screaming "GET OFF OUR COURT, RETARDS!!" at the TV, and might have even screamed at Phil Jackson telling him to "TAKE THAT DISGRACE OF A HAT OFF!!" Long story short, I was one infuriated first-grader. And that's the life of a Jazz fan: a year's worth of good basketball, ended by watching another team celebrate.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Haha and I'd actually be open to the Barkley idea. He'd pull the trigger we've always needed pulled. At this point, anyone, and I mean ANYONE would be better than O' Connor.

Too bad that being a GM in the NBA is more about trading for contracts and playing with cap space as opposed to evaluating and acquiring players. Also, not sure Charles would be in to the whole Utah thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Too bad that being a GM in the NBA is more about trading for contracts and playing with cap space as opposed to evaluating and acquiring players. Also, not sure Charles would be in to the whole Utah thing.

And plus, I don't think he can read

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

That is exactly the life of a Jazz fan. And of course we're that small market that nobody cares about, so nobody realizes that. But the life of a Jazz fan is simple: You have a good year, you make the playoffs, you lose, you watch your team do nothing in the offseason to get better, repeat. That's basically it. Of course we havent been around as long as the Cubs, but I'm always just as frustrated year in and year out with our result. I mean, it's one thing to be like the Cubs and make big moves and still lose, but to do NOTHING? Ugh, nothing ticks me off more than that. The only reason I still root for them is because it's in my blood, so there's no stopping that. I bleed blue or purple or whatever color they decide to wear that year, but I know some friends who just cant stand the Jazz because its the same story year in and year out. With us, it's not "Wait till next year", it's "Wait till the year after next" or "Wait till Kevin O' Connor leaves". I can't tell you how ecstatic I'd be at the sight of us winning the title, i'd probably start a riot myself. And i'm not even kidding :P if they do it while i'm at college up in Utah State, Logan is gonna see some hardcore chaos :P

celebrate.

You and I are identical man, SIMPLY IDENTICAL in our views with the Jazz! :D

He's from the South (Alabama), so I'm sure he could handle it. :D

That brings up an excellent point! Do you think a fan would be more appreciative of a championship if his/her team reached the pinnacle after they’ve experienced very little if no success at all, or do you think do it would be a greater high if your team has constantly come close only to fall short and let that trophy slip through your fingers time and time again? It’s hard to argue which side has it worse.

Well, look at it this way, your Jazz have made it to the NBA Finals and even the conference finals before. The Clippers have never gone to either of those. That's why I think Clipper Nation would be more appreciative than the Jazz' fanbase. I know that if I were a Jazz fan and they won the title, my attitude would be more "well, we deserved it, we should have more than one, but I'm happy we finally won a title" as opposed to the "OMG!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!! FINALLY!!!!" attitude I'm going to have when the Clips finally win one (and the day's going to have to come at some point).

I would think for most Clipper fans, you know year after year that you have no chance what-so-ever of winning the title, so you’re really not that disappointed. There’s no opportunity for emotion to get involved. Then again, I haven’t been in your shoes before so I really can’t say.

That's not true anymore. We thought we were contenders during the Brand/Cassell/Mobley/Maggette/Kaman years when we actually made it to the second round of the playoffs once, and when we signed Baron Davis and Elton Brand hadn't turned on the Clips yet, and even the first half of this year when we were hovering around .500 and looking like a possible eighth seed in the playoffs. And yes, we're still disappointed every year even though as Clipper fans, we're used to losing.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And too bad our GM sits on his rear all day and does nothing. I know Barkley is a longshot, I'm not saying I was serious about it, just open to it. It's not like I'm campaining for him :P you have to understand, when your GM routinely adresses no needs whatsoever, year in and year out, it's time for a change. What I'm really saying is the Jazz need to get out of thier box and explore what could make this team better. They need to start getting agressive (a sign and trade deal is possible for us, but O' Connor won't pull the trigger because he NEVER does), and if somebody else is actually willing to do it, then by goodness give them a shot. You don't understand the frustrations of a Jazz fan until you see what really goes on around here :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

That brings up an excellent point! Do you think a fan would be more appreciative of a championship if his/her team reached the pinnacle after they?ve experienced very little if no success at all, or do you think do it would be a greater high if your team has constantly come close only to fall short and let that trophy slip through your fingers time and time again? It?s hard to argue which side has it worse.

Well, look at it this way, your Jazz have made it to the NBA Finals and even the conference finals before. The Clippers have never gone to either of those. That's why I think Clipper Nation would be more appreciative than the Jazz' fanbase. I know that if I were a Jazz fan and they won the title, my attitude would be more "well, we deserved it, we should have more than one, but I'm happy we finally won a title" as opposed to the "OMG!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!! FINALLY!!!!" attitude I'm going to have when the Clips finally win one (and the day's going to have to come at some point).

I would think for most Clipper fans, you know year after year that you have no chance what-so-ever of winning the title, so you?re really not that disappointed. There?s no opportunity for emotion to get involved. Then again, I haven?t been in your shoes before so I really can?t say.

That's not true anymore. We thought we were contenders during the Brand/Cassell/Mobley/Maggette/Kaman years when we actually made it to the second round of the playoffs once, and when we signed Baron Davis and Elton Brand hadn't turned on the Clips yet, and even the first half of this year when we were hovering around .500 and looking like a possible eighth seed in the playoffs. And yes, we're still disappointed every year even though as Clipper fans, we're used to losing.

As a longtime Clipper fan, I would be happy to build a string of consecutive playoff appearances, and go from there. Just four playoff appearances in 26 years of being here in Los Angeles, and the only back-to-back string was in '92 and '93 (and only went the distance in the first round in those years).

I've always said that the Clippers have a peculiar and unconventional way of doing business...some people forget that we were stuck with Elgin Baylor as GM for 22 years, and Mike Dunleavy (for better or worse) spent most of his Clipper tenure as coach and defacto GM cleaning up the old man's mess, and actually has the franchise in better shape than in years past. I just have this feeling that the Clippers will end up signing third and fourth-tier free agents with the available cap money, instead of ending up with LeBron (I think he ends up signing a short-term with the Cavs).

Gilbert Arenas' new number won't be 6 after all:

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2010/07/gilbert-arenas-jersey-number-it-wont-be-no-6.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TruthAboutIt+%28Truth+About+It+-+Washington+Wizards+Blog%29

However, this afternoon a Wizards team spokesperson indicated that original reports of Arenas switching to No. 6 were premature and also confirms that the embattled guard will not be wearing No. 6 next season (or zero or double-zero for that matter).

Update: he chose #9 (via WaPo)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/07/gilbert_chooses_no_9.html

Gilbert Arenas' new number won't be 6 after all:

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2010/07/gilbert-arenas-jersey-number-it-wont-be-no-6.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TruthAboutIt+%28Truth+About+It+-+Washington+Wizards+Blog%29

However, this afternoon a Wizards team spokesperson indicated that original reports of Arenas switching to No. 6 were premature and also confirms that the embattled guard will not be wearing No. 6 next season (or zero or double-zero for that matter).

Always chaos around this guy. #13 was my number when I played...not sure I want him wearing it now. :D

87Redskins.png

So we're at the point where we're arguing which fanbase will celebrate more if / when their team wins it. Seriously - if you identify yourself by how much you love your team and how much more you're going to celebrate when they win it, you have gaping holes in your life that need to be filled. I sometimes think that a "logo" board would be better served not also having a sports board, since it just gets cluttered with partisans who can't discuss the designs of the logos without always working in their attachments to some team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So we're at the point where we're arguing which fanbase will celebrate more if / when their team wins it. Seriously - if you identify yourself by how much you love your team and how much more you're going to celebrate when they win it, you have gaping holes in your life that need to be filled. I sometimes think that a "logo" board would be better served not also having a sports board, since it just gets cluttered with partisans who can't discuss the designs of the logos without always working in their attachments to some team.

Agreed. Especially when this banter is cluttering up the "Sports LOGOS" thread about the offseason.

Nobody is saying their team defines them as individuals, but that doesn?t mean you can?t pick something to be passionate about, whether it?s a sports team or politics; it?s your life and your choice! Besides it?s only human nature to get excited when the thing you support achieves some type of success. And last time I checked this thread is titled ?2010 NBA Offseason? and it happens to reside on a logo board, so how bad is it really that somebody's fandom and the love of logos comes up? I'm mean seriously! thicon_rolleyes.gif

Agreed. Especially when this banter is cluttering up the "Sports LOGOS" thread about the offseason.

Again, this thread is titled "2010 NBA Offseason". thicon_lol.gif

Nobody is saying their team defines them as individuals, but that doesnt mean you cant pick something to be passionate about, whether its a sports team or politics; its your life and your choice! Besides its only human nature to get excited when the thing you support achieves some type of success. And last time I checked this thread is titled 2010 NBA Offseason and it happens to reside on a logo board, so how bad is it really that somebody's fandom and the love of logos comes up? I'm mean seriously! thicon_rolleyes.gif

Again, this thread is titled "2010 NBA Offseason". thicon_lol.gif

True, but it is the Sports Logos Forum. Check the section of the boards it is under. There is another offseason thread in the Sports In General Forum, for non-logo-related talk. Sports Logos is for Logo-related discussion. This is just one of my favorite annual summer threads, and I hate to see that it has more posts, only to find that they are about whether Charles Barkley knows how to read. :P

Archived