Utah Jazz concepts - Two concepts for two eras

knnhrvy16

Hey guys!

Some of you may remember that I tried my hand at a Jazz concept a few months ago. I personally didnt like what I did to it, and I don't think it got alot of interest. I decided to start over on my hometown team, and scrap what I had before. I couldnt decide which identity to focus on, however, so I was a little stuck. I love and am welcoming the use of the music note identity nowadays, but we me heading off to college in the fall ive spent alot of time remembering the good old days of my childhood, as any high school graduate does on thier way to thier new chapters in life. Growing up for me, my heroes were clad with mountains and colors of purple, copper, sky blue, and dark teal. I was fortunate enough to grow up watching greats like Stockton, Malone, Hornacek, etc. Though those who are older remember them in the note, the only time I ever watched them were in the mountains. That look is sentimental to me and something I'll always connect my childhood to, so I wanted to do a concept for the mountains look, colors and all.

I also, however, wanted to try a second stab at the note. I tried to modernize the logo and made an entirely different jersey design than the last time I tried.

Therefore, I bring you two concepts for two eras of Jazz basketball.

I'll start off with the mountains. The first thing I did was clean up the logo and scripts, to make it fit more with the times. I did the same to the "UJ" logo, and tweaked the colors around a little. As for the uniforms, I wanted to find a way to make the mountains work, without going overboard and looking too 90's. I tried to make a more modern design and came up with what you see on the home and away uniforms. With the alternate, I wanted to try something completely new. I liked the idea of a more classic looking uniform for the alternate, and tried to make the uniform evoke a sort of "in the wild" feel. No, not "wild", but "in the wild", like walking in a forest or driving through a canyon. The forests and outdoor life are a huge part of Utah as a whole, and me being a lifelong resident and frequent visitor to the many scenic places Utah has to offer, I wanted to make the alternate uniform a sort of nod to the outdoors. This is primarily done by the primary use of dark green and copper, along with the use of the classic block font.

Jazzredesign2.png

Jazzredesign2scripts.png

Jazzredesign2uniforms.png

There's not much to explain about the note identity, as I pretty much explained in a nutshell what I did already. Basically, I just tried to incorporate a new design and modernize the look of the logo.

Jazzredesignprimary.png

Jazzredesignscript2-1.png

Jazzredesignuniforms.png

Let me know what you think! Which one do you guys think is better? C&C appreciated!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I just realized that the scripts for the second concept was the wrong image, the ball on the note being different than what it's supposed to be (that image was the first draft). I have just fixed it and replaced it with the finished product, for those that may have noticed the mistake.

Thanks for the input north dakota!

Any other comments?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

i think both are good but i like the second one a bit better

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

I like that you stayed true to that color scheme, but I think the logo still needs a little bit of black to set the colors off from each other. Other than that, good work.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I absolutely love the second one - nice job modernizing the ball-and-note logo! And while I love the homage to the mountain uniforms in the first set, the alternate uni does not go with the home or away at all.

Why is that an issue? They're never going to be worn simultaneously.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I absolutely love the second one - nice job modernizing the ball-and-note logo! And while I love the homage to the mountain uniforms in the first set, the alternate uni does not go with the home or away at all.

Well, the alternate was meant to be completely different, for the reason being that in the NBA, alternate jerseys tend to just be the same jersey as the others for a team, just different colors. The only exceptions I can think of are the Celtics, Mavs, and Grizzlies. I wanted to break that mold and make something competely different for that first set (as the shade of green was perfect for what I had in mind), but in the second set however I felt that wouldnt work because knowing the fans here, they'd want a green version of the rest of the set as a modernization of the 1980 throwback.

I appreciate your input Lights Out, and may I ask what you think I could do to make it better?

Are there any other thoughts or C&C from anyone?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I appreciate your input Lights Out, and may I ask what you think I could do to make it better?

Maybe if the Utah script looked more like the "Jazz" script but you kept everything else the same, it would look "different-but-similar" enough to clearly be an alternate but still fit in with the overall identity. Just a thought.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think they're both very good, but in the first one, one thing you could do to make it better is on the "Jazz" and "UJ" ones, (Not the one that says "UTAH") take away the purple lining from the words. It's not bad with the purple lining, but it seems like the copper and purple don't line the words together well. On the lining, I would just use copper. Other that that, both of them are perfect! Oh, and go Jazz! :D

applogosig15.pngapplogosig13.pngapplogosig14.png

The first non-banned member of ther CCSLC to post in The Ugliest Bathroom.

The alts from the 97-04 era is so Lakers. Please do it with a black template, same template as the homies and the roadies.

Nice concept in fairness.

I appreciate your c&c, but I'm really confused as to what you mean by "So Lakers". Especially where me being a Jazz fan, the last team I'd ever want to emulate would be the Lakers :P

If you mean the template, I guess I can see where youre coming from. It definetely wasn't intended to look like the Lakers' old template, that's coincidental. Personally I think the colors help differentiate, but this concept isn't for me to judge. My intention was to make a vintage looking uniform for an alternate and that's what popped into my head. I'll consider you suggestions, though.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The alts from the 97-04 era is so Lakers. Please do it with a black template, same template as the homies and the roadies.

Nice concept in fairness.

I appreciate your c&c, but I'm really confused as to what you mean by "So Lakers". Especially where me being a Jazz fan, the last team I'd ever want to emulate would be the Lakers :P

If you mean the template, I guess I can see where youre coming from. It definetely wasn't intended to look like the Lakers' old template, that's coincidental. Personally I think the colors help differentiate, but this concept isn't for me to judge. My intention was to make a vintage looking uniform for an alternate and that's what popped into my head. I'll consider you suggestions, though.

Indeed, it really looks like the old Lakers unis. Oh well I respect your opinion. Think of other classy templates aside from that Laker-ish (which anyway looks good).

Archived