STP Logo Update

Cujo

This is the perfect example of why long-term sponsorship in NASCAR is a great idea for these companies. Richard Petty is getting paid $0 a year from STP, yet everyone and their brother thinks of STP when they see Richard Petty. Basically what I am saying they are getting great advertising for nothing currently. Same thing can be said for Winston, Busch, and Craftsman.

iq5b7nF.png

This is the perfect example of why long-term sponsorship in NASCAR is a great idea for these companies. Richard Petty is getting paid $0 a year from STP, yet everyone and their brother thinks of STP when they see Richard Petty. Basically what I am saying they are getting great advertising for nothing currently. Same thing can be said for Winston, Busch, and Craftsman.

Well...sort of. I think of Richard Petty when I see an STP product, not "man, I really could use some fuel additive" when I see Richard Petty. I don't smoke, but my first thought when I see a Winston product is the old "Winston Cup Series" logo. Same goes for Goodwrench and Dale Earnhardt, DuPont and Jeff Gordon, etc. I get your point, though.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I like reading about these things. Is there an article somewhere where this is discussed, or did you just happen to notice and search for pics? I did some googling but couldn't find anything on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The new one represents everything that sucks about 21st century design. The shine and the bevels don't 'do' anything. They're just eye candy. Ugh. Give me the classic one any day.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The new one represents everything that sucks about 21st century design. The shine and the bevels don't 'do' anything. They're just eye candy. Ugh. Give me the classic one any day.

I agree with you whole-heartedly that the old/original is better than this one. As ar as the shine and bevel, I do think they do something, they make it ugly and ugly isn't eye candy. Eye candy is a nice woman in a short skirt with nice looooooooooooong tanned lines. That's eye candy.

ย 

ย 

Even if they think of STP when they see Richard Petty, most people don't have the slightest idea of what the hell STP is.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

ย 

I agree with you whole-heartedly that the old/original is better than this one. As ar as the shine and bevel, I do think they do something, they make it ugly and ugly isn't eye candy. Eye candy is a nice woman in a short skirt with nice looooooooooooong tanned lines. That's eye candy.

The problem is, most people don't think it's ugly. The general public is somehow 'trained' to think bevels and artificial shine are excellent and it ends up being eye candy for them. If everyone was an aesthete like we are, I'd think, 'What is STP thinking?' but as the world is, I realize that they're thinking $ and are playing to the many, not the few. The few care about form and color and clarity and this and that. The many care about bells and whistles.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Because it's impossible for someone to genuinely like a logo with bevels and artificial shine. Absolutely impossible.

That's not exactly what I'm saying. I think when something becomes the standard, though, regardless of where the impetus came from, the general audience has a hard time accepting things that go against the grain. Whether they go in a more creative direction or backward, in a more simplified direction, People see an trend and that's what sets the standard. If everything has bevels and shiny effects, that's the standard that most people look for, whereas if you're involved in a profession that's art- or design-driven, you're more likely to look beyond the trends and objectively judge something based on its formal visual merits and practical criteria. I'm saying that a lot of trained designers don't like this aesthetic, because their brain is trained differently from someone who works on an assembly line. Regular Joe likes just fine, though, and he's the customer, which is why we see it. Then, over time, people get bored with it. Even trends among designers that are good-looking and seen as creative at first; they lose their luster after a while and they become punchlines within the design community, which sucks, but is a fact of capitalist life.

Archived