What number would you wear?

KJHillis

Cool thread. I was always partial to 21 for Roger Clemens, then 10 after my friend Andy Abad, who played in the Red Sox system for a few years. Here's the rundown of my numbers:

1989 T-ball: 11

1990 Minors: 15

1991 Minors: 31 (Originally 24, but someone on my team wanted 24, and I wanted a higher number. It was an even trade.)

1992 Majors: 4

1993 Majors: 3

I always hated single-digit numbers in baseball. And number 4 is one of my least-favorite numbers. It may be a coincidence that the year I wore #4 also happened to be my worst season.

Nowadays, whenever I get the wiffleball itch, I play with number 10.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

78 was my football # in HS (And the number they gave me in college before my knees precluded my college career).

If I had to pick a # for college hoops and go by the accepted numbering convention, it would be either 32 (Dr. J with the Nets), 35 (Reggie Lewis), or 21 (my favorite player on my college team).

Baseball - 15, Thurman Munson, easy.

21 - I wore it as my baseball number in honor of Roberto Clemente, my all time favorite player. I also wore this number in high school when I played basketball because I could never come up with another number. I was also born on the 21st so it all works out

84 - When I played football in high school, Randy Moss just came into the NFL and was an absolute stud. I also was a receiver but played more on defense and I kept the number anyway. Many years later, I returned to wearing this number in my flag football league.

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

#11 for me (as you might have guessed by my username). There's no real meaning to the number other than way back when I first started using the internet/email, "11" was the lowest number I could get for my username as the other numbers 1-10 were already taken. I try not to use any numbers in my usernames anymore, but #11 just has a special place for me now so I default to that if I have to include a number.

Well... I played baseball into College and basketball through High School, so for basketball, I used to wear 23 for Jordan, but then changed to 7. I liked single digits better, and it was Mickey Mantle's number.

For baseball, I wore #6... Mickey Mantle's original number. After Babe Ruth's #3, the Yankees started to give their "top prospects" the next number in order, which is why numbers 3-10 are retired, EXCEPT for #6. When Mickey was brought up, they gave him the #6, after Joe D's 5. Mantle knew about the legacy of the numbers, and it was said it added a lot of extra pressure for him when he was called up to the bigs. He was eventually sent back down to a minor league team, and when he was recalled, he left the #6 and moved to #7 because he didn't like the bad luck associated with 6.

I liked the idea of taking 6 because not many people knows Mickey was #6 originally. I also liked the idea of always having to better yourself. Not being satisfied.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Baseball:

16: I was a 3rd baseman starting out as kid and loved Dean Palmer when I first started watching the Rangers. Others I had: 3: Ruth/ 5: Bagwell / 7: Pudge, Biggio

Football:

55: Like the number 5. Played on the O-line

Basketball

5: Jason Kidd

Soccer: 3, 5, 16, 27. Picked all of these at some point when I was playing.

I only played little league for one season and I got stuck with 23, I think, which I never liked for some reason. I've always thought that if I were athletic enough to play in the majors, I would wear #12 if available, because of Wade Boggs. I had watched Cubs and Braves games for a few years before we got the Devil Rays down here, but I never had a favorite player. When we got Boggs before the start of 1998, I picked him for some reason, and he became my baseball hero. I was there the night he hit the homerun that became his 3000th hit, and I was there a few weeks later when the Devil Rays were losing badly (as usual, back then), and Larry Rothschild put Wade in to pitch. We still lost that game 17-1. :lol:

If #12 wasn't available, I would go for #29 or #3, seeing as I'm a huge NASCAR fan and those are the numbers of my favorite drivers.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

I would want to wear 00 or 0 in any pro sport just because they don't seem to be used by very many players. And yes, I'm well aware that the NFL and NHL now ban those numbers, but hey, a man can dream, right?

that's interesting, i didnt know about the ban in those sports, i wonder how this came to be?

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I wore #36 when playing fullback/roverback in football in high school and college because my dad wore it when he played.

In Rugby we went by the traditional numbering system and I had to switch to 14, 10, 9.

My brother played quarterback wearing 25. He started out as a defensive back then moved to halfback and finally quarter keeping 25 the whole time.

FsQiF2W.png

I guess the reason I started this thread was to see what exactly goes on in our brains when we pick a number

Is it sentimental? Is it what the number stands for? Is it the way it looks?

If I ever get lucky enough to choose a number (as stated in my other post, I don't usually get to pick haha :P), it's always sentimental. For example, also as stated before, my two choices if I ever played pro baseball would be 24 and 32. Ken Griffey, Jr. Has always been my favorite player, so 24 would be for him. 32 would be for Josh Hamilton, because after learning of his incredible story, then watching his incredible performance at the NYC home run derby, he's become a personal hero of mine and is right behind Junior as my second favorite player. I always like to honor those who inspire me as a "thank you" whenever I can, so I'd definetely choose my number based on sentimentality whenever I could.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I usually picked my numbers from my favorite players at that time. I wore number 2 when I played basketball, because Dajuan Wagner was my favorite player at the time. Then I moved on to number 11 when Wagner was let go, since Ilgauskas became my favorite. In football, I wore number 85, I was a big Kevin Johnson fan at that time. In baseball, I wore numbers 25 and 36, Jim Thome and Bill Selby. I played hockey for one year, and I picked number 1 because of Arturs Irbe.

In soccer however, I just picked numbers that I liked instead of basing it on players I liked. I usually wore 9 or 22, but if those were taken, I took 13 or 17.

T1oYViW.png

Wow! What a good topic. Here we go all Baseball numbers by the way....

T-ball through Seniors I was #11 Picked it because In T-ball I was on the Royals and the only Royals baseball Card I had was Hal Mcrae.

High School I was assigned #24 but traded it for #42 which was bigger and fit better. Kept 42 throughout High School.

College I started with #42 but switched to #39 in honor of Roy Campanella. Independent ball was given #24 (palm Springs Suns)

If I had ever made it to the show I would of chosen 99 just because I am an ass.

Wore 15 & 80 in high school for football. 15 for the day of the month I was born on and 80 because I was a Jeremy Shockey fan.

In basketball I wore 11 because November is the 11th month of the year. I would have liked to wear #9 because I'm a big Dan Majerle fan, but it was taken both years I was on the roster.

hollywoodp.jpg

Archived