What number would you wear?

KJHillis

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wore #10 in high school football because I was a huge Pearl Jam fan.

In college, I started playing rugby instead of football. Luckily, I played fly half, so I got to keep #10.

That's pretty cool, I would've never thought of that.

In rugby, I usually play hooker so I'm used to #2. Now if I'm required to take a single digit number for a sport, I choose #2. If I get to choose any number, I pick #44 as a tribute to Dion "The Landlord" Mays.

Hockey: 23. Was my number when i played as a kid

Football: 75. Was my number in high school, chose it because my brother ware that number while playing semi-pro ball.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

When I was younger and played organised soccer/football, I was given #15. I was never a starter so never got my first choice number of 9.

As a Manchester United fan, it was around the time that Karel Poborský wore that number, so I was nicknamed "Karel" for a while.

However, given the choice, I would wear #10 on the simple basis that I was born on 10/10 and I consider it my lucky number.

If #10 wasn't available, I'd take #19 thanks to one person in particular:

steve-yzerman.jpg

"Sorry, your signature is too long..."

Ever since I was a young child playing in a Detroit area Little League, I have worn the number #2. ( I was a second Baseman and my parents remembered Mickey Cochrane with the Tigers, hence I wore the # 2) Even as a high School umpire and referee I have some form of the #2 in on my uniforms. (except for a Michigan jersey I have that has #7 and an authentic Phoenix Firebirds (AAA) road jersey. That has the # 22.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

1,8, 18 or 81, simply because my birth date is 1/18/81 in American and 18/1/81 in English

If none of those are available 29, as it's the first 2 digits of my lucky number (296, yes I have a 3-digit lucky number, is that weird?)

In college, I wore #44 because when I punted, it sounded like a cannon going off so that's where my coach got the idea. 44 Mag and Boomer were common nicknames.

I'm in no condition to post...wait! I shouldn't listen to myself, I'm drunk!

44432582326267196666.png

When I was in the 4th grade, I joined the basketball team. They were giving out uniforms and I was assigned number 9. I was like, okay, number 9. Alright. Next year, I joined the fifth grade. I didn't care what number I got, and I ended up with 9 again. I'm like, wow, okay. Cool, I guess.

Later that spring, I joined a little league baseball team. Again, I didn't care for a number and they assigned me number 9. For the next three years I've played basketball/baseball, I always asked for number 9. When I got to the senior league in little league baseball, I wanted number 9 so bad, but the uniform was too big. So I ended up settling on number 6, since it was 9 upside down. I wore number 6 for the next two years until my last year in the senior league, where I was finally big enough to wear number 9 for my last year in little league.

I wore number 9 again for the first two years of high school baseball.

Then I became a bat boy for a minor league baseball team. I didn't ask for any particular numbers, since it was the players' choices and I was just happy to be the bat boy. Oddly, I ended up with number 6 for the first half of the season. When a player got promoted from AA to the team I work for, he wanted number 6, so I gave it up for him. Oddly enough, the player who got sent down to AA was wearing number 9, so I took on his number. It was so weird. Both number 9 and 6 has a lot of history for me.

I've worn other numbers though in a few different sports/teams: 1, 11, 21, 22, 29, 33, 44.

I often like wearing numbers that is double digits and the same as the first digit (11, 22, 33, etc...) because my cousin used to be an all-american basketball player, and he wore number 44. He played college ball at Oregon State and San Diego State, where he wore number 44, 22, and 33. He also played professional basketball in Europe, where he wore number 44.

But a number that I've never worn before but always loved and always wanted to wear is 17. Why? Lots of history with that number. My second favorite number. My mom's favorite number. My mom's birth date. My uncle, both grandfathers, and two cousins were born on the 17th. Three or four of my favorites athletes are number 17.

So basically, if I was playing MLB and they asked for my top five numbers that I want to wear in order, it'd go like this: 9, 17, 6, 22, 11. If I were a pitcher (pitcher aren't allowed to wear single digits), it'd go like this: 44, 22, 33, 11, and then 17.

IowaOaks.png

• 6 months later...

I've used 13 in Junior High Soccer, when played as back. In High School, I'm playing Rugby and Soccer. I'm Wing (Rugby), So I Use the 14. and use 14 in soccer to. I Wrote "John 14" in my soccer boots. 14 is my lucky number, and my Girlfriend Birthday Is February 14. When I Play football (HB), I Use the 27, cause my first cell phone number were 247-3577. The 2 first numbers are 24 (The Gay number, here in Brazil) or 27, I use 27. In all other sports, I Use 14 or 27.

Pi. :P

Actually, my number of choice would be either 8 or 88.

8 has always been my favourite number, and turning the '8' symbol on its side makes it the infinity symbol, implying infinite possibilities.

I was always #12 until I got to college and I lost a coin-flip for the number and I got #32.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Archived