Unpopular Opinions

I honestly actually kinda like the "Dbacks" script that is used on the Arizona home and red jerseys. It hasn't been all to bad to me at all, and same goes for the "db" logo.

Although I do understand the Dbacks' green-and-teal past, their current look isn't all that bad to me.

I don't see what others see in Sam Hornish Jr. as a NASCAR Sprint Cup driver and how he still has potential.

I think he's an absolute terrible driver and shouldn't be racing in the Sprint Cup series. He's missing something to really compete.

Indy 500 champ carries weight...

I don't hate sleeved basketball jerseys the way others hate it. But I still don't like it.

It just feels bland and adds nothing to a jersey (except for sleeves).

And a good portion of sleeved jerseys follow the whole GFGS/BFBS trend, and I think that makes it a lot blander.

Exactly. They need to do more with the sleeves or start putting patches or numbers on them. Give them SOME design element.

detroit-red-wings-nhl-2013-2014.jpg

Don't get me wrong, these aren't really awful... but they are SO generic. They have very few stripes on their uniforms and taking away the stripes makes it look like a standard red sweater. I have said multiple times that the Red Wings logo is one of the best logos in sports, but it's so well-detailed and something so well-detailed like their logo being paired with those generic uniforms seems to me, out of place. I wouldn't have minded if they made a slight change to the number font or at least added an extra stripe, but these just aren't doing it for me.

I think if the Rams didn't use monochrome and got rid of the side panels, they'd have one of the better looks in the league. Don't get me wrong, the Greatest Show on Turf uniforms were the best ever, but these aren't actually that bad.

It seems when they play the Broncos, they always bring out the great looks.

broncos-rams-football.jpg

peyton-manning-nfl-preseason-st.-louis-r

I like the heck out of the Clippers sleeved powder blue unis. Even though they remind me of Louisiana Tech's women's unis from back in the day.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

The Tillman-era jerseys were basically practice sets, no?

I love that uniform. Not really sure why. The dark jersey, along with the Raiders, is about as basic as it gets but I really, really loved that uniform.

Actually, I thought they kept taking steps backwards on the white jersey and my love of it was over when they added the state flag.

I really liked the below set (though by now the sleeves on the white would obviously need to have changed)

1988_Phoenix.png

Coming to this part of this discussion late, but wanted to say one thing about those White jerseys...

The "Northwestern"-style striping that was present on the White jerseys of that era, is duplicated in University of Phoenix Stadium behind the north-end scoreboard. The smaller scoreboard, on the closed end of the stadium (opposite the end where the field slides in).

I took a tour of the stadium a couple of years ago, and they were walking us all over to the lofts (suites) on that end of the stadium, and that exact pattern of Black-White-Red-White-Black-White-Red-White-Black was painted from floor to ceiling along that entire wall. It took me aback, and we were moving so quickly through there, I wasn't able to take a picture of it. Really regret not doing that.

I thought it was a great touch.

I think it's time for the Cardinals to go back to dressing like a traditional football team. Not sure what the answer would be for the roads, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don't get me wrong, these aren't really awful... but they are SO generic. They have very few stripes on their uniforms and taking away the stripes makes it look like a standard red sweater. I have said multiple times that the Red Wings logo is one of the best logos in sports, but it's so well-detailed and something so well-detailed like their logo being paired with those generic uniforms seems to me, out of place. I wouldn't have minded if they made a slight change to the number font or at least added an extra stripe, but these just aren't doing it for me.

If you take away the stripes from any jersey it's a blank jersey. The most intricately striped jersey is blank without any stripes. Not sure what you're trying to say there.

I'd argue that the detailed logo pairs nicely with simple striping. Too many stripes matched with that logo would be visual overkill.

They've worn these since the 30's. There's some historical context to why they're so simple or as you put it "generic". They were actually one of the first to adopt that template and the red sleeves on the aways are hardly generic. That so many other teams have borrowed the look since they created it is not their fault. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It's not like these are a new design adopted by a 1990's Florida expansion team or something.

Also, they tried a different number font and it lasted exactly one season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you take away the stripes from any jersey it's a blank jersey. The most intricately striped jersey is blank without any stripes. Not sure what you're trying to say there.

I'd argue that the detailed logo pairs nicely with simple striping. Too many stripes matched with that logo would be visual overkill.

They've worn these since the 30's. There's some historical context to why they're so simple or as you put it "generic". They were actually one of the first to adopt that template and the red sleeves on the aways are hardly generic. That so many other teams have borrowed the look since they created it is not their fault. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It's not like these are a new design adopted by a 1990's Florida expansion team or something.

Also, they tried a different number font and it lasted exactly one season.

mpsaQ_JNiLq8aGKPZ21cECA.jpg

While I see your point, I rather like the fact that the template is so bland by today's standards, as it put the focus on the crest/logo, which is exactly the way it should be IMO.

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion of my own, but I actually like the UCLA-style font for the Red Wings. Shame it was eliminated after one year.

• Like 1

I actually liked the Dallas Stars' "Mooterus" logo.

And I agree with you about the Nordiques logo. Looking at it nowadays, it just seems so dated and old. Though I actually like the Jets and North Stars logos.

I actually still have that jersey.... and I still love it.

Also the Nordiques logo is overrated and I actually was not a fan of both of the Stadium series jerseys this year the could have be so much more done but I digress. I also hate the Miami Marlins "M" logo... I just don't like it

I feel like the Wings logo could use a minor update just like the Bruins did in '95 & '07. What they have currently is beautiful on its own right, but there's a couple of lines here and there that could be cleaned up and maybe simplified.

I also don't care for their arched text for names (same with the Rags); it works for basketball and baseball for what ever reason but looks funky for football and hockey.

My question is what would an updated Wings logo look like...my guess is a deflated tired because that's what happened to their Motor Industry XD.... But Seriously I would say it'd have Detroit added to the logo or something like that.