Unpopular Opinions

• 1 month later...

Bumping a dead thread...

Adrian+Gonzalez+Boston+Red+Sox+v+Chicago+White+VtNA_Sl8xdfl.jpg

I really like the Red Sox new roadies. Like, a lot. And I'm not some old nostalgia freak either, reminiscing about the days of Boggs, Rice and Yaz. (I was born in the 1990s).

In fact, I always thought that the Red Sox previous roads weren't that great. They had nameplates, which I despise, and even though they matched color-wise, I just never thought they were that great.

Now these new roads, they're spectacular. Harkening back to a classic era, but with some modern touches (logo patch on the left sleeve, direct sewn NOBs). Sure, it's not as colorful as the previous ones, but I still like them a hell of a lot more than the old ones.

While I agree that they absolutely shouldn't have worn those blue socks like they did during the opening series against LAA, that doesn't subtract from the uniform itself (at least in my opinion).

Plus, the old roadies remind me of these: Boston-Red-Sox--2314-Jim-Rice-1975-mitchell-26ness-Road-jersey--gray-9266-64083.jpg

It's pretty much the 1970s pullover minus the trim, v-neck and added NOBs and buttons.

spacer.png

Well, yeah, it is. Why is that bad? Those are truer to how the Red Sox should look than the all-midnight blue look, even if they were on pullovers. I never understood the fascination with sucking the soul out of road uniforms by using drab blue so much. Why shouldn't the Red Sox on the road look like the Red Sox at home but for a grey base rather than white?

Also strange about that redesign is that it runs counter to the Henry regime's obsession with making red the team's primary color rather than the navy/red mix it had been before. Red pullovers, red BPs, red undershirts, red this, red that, because after all they are the Red Sox. So with that whole push, why introduce a road jersey that uses no red at all?

For the record, the best balance of navy and red for the Red Sox would be to have navy undershirts along with the traditional red lettering/numbers on the jerseys, as modeled by this jerkass:

clemens.jpg

Really lets the red stand out. Red doesn't look right as a base color for them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I usually don't like looks where the helmet, jersey and pants are all different colors, or piping but I have always liked these Falcons jerseys. I think the sleeve striping and numbers look sharp. The piping on the jersey and pants seems to fit in well too.

matt-ryan.jpg

I loved the look of this Timberwolves jersey. I'm a sucker for all uniforms that use green and blue, plus I love the trees on the neck and sleeve cuffs.

act_kevin_garnett%5B1%5D.jpg

I love these style sleeve cuffs used by the Phillies, Brewers, and Yankees.

large_Shane-Victorino.jpg

I have never understood all the hate for Nashville's mustard jerseys. They look pretty good, and were unique.

0314-nsh-zidlicky.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1300057056629

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

Well, yeah, it is. Why is that bad? Those are truer to how the Red Sox should look than the all-midnight blue look, even if they were on pullovers. I never understood the fascination with sucking the soul out of road uniforms by using drab blue so much. Why shouldn't the Red Sox on the road look like the Red Sox at home but for a grey base rather than white?

Also strange about that redesign is that it runs counter to the Henry regime's obsession with making red the team's primary color rather than the navy/red mix it had been before. Red pullovers, red BPs, red undershirts, red this, red that, because after all they are the Red Sox. So with that whole push, why introduce a road jersey that uses no red at all?

For the record, the best balance of navy and red for the Red Sox would be to have navy undershirts along with the traditional red lettering/numbers on the jerseys, as modeled by this jerkass:

clemens.jpg

YES! I love the blue undershirts from the 1980s and 1990s.

I actually think the red ones look far too...boring, for lack of a better term. The blue really does help the red pop.

I also think that the 1990-2008 roadies looked better when they had the blue undershirts.

Now to get to your first point...

A lot of people didn't -- and don't -- like the redesign of the road uniforms. A lot of people. I personally think the new ones are fantastic, though no one who I've ever talked too agrees with me.

spacer.png

Redsox44 I like the blue undershirts with the home jerseys as well, but if they are worn with red socks (which they should definitely be worn with), they look odd to me. For that reason I slightly prefer the red undershirts with the current uniforms. If they went to striped socks the blue undershirts would look better.

As for the new road uniforms I think the new ones are a downgrade from the old ones, but I don't think the are bad looking either (I specifically love how they look with red undershirts). This may be because I have grown used to them these past couple years, or it may simply be me being a homer, but that's my opinion.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

*IMG of Roger McRoids removed*

I actually think the red ones look far too...boring, for lack of a better term. The blue really does help the red pop.

I also think that the 1990-2008 roadies looked better when they had the blue undershirts.

A lot of people didn't -- and don't -- like the redesign of the road uniforms. A lot of people. I personally think the new ones are fantastic, though no one who I've ever talked too agrees with me.

Okay, I third the navy undershirts. Beautiful. This has to be my favorite Sox jersey of all time, which most people view as a beer-league softball jersey...

LouMerloni.jpg

Also, I hated, and I mean hated the new road duds when they came out. They've since grown on me a lot. I still miss the World Series era roadies but these aren't to shabby either.

As for the undershirt conundrum, blue at home, red on the road. The roads need some red, and I think they really pop with the red undershirts.

EDIT: While I'm here, bring back the striped stirrups!!!

I usually don't like looks where the helmet, jersey and pants are all different colors, or piping but I have always liked these Falcons jerseys. I think the sleeve striping and numbers look sharp. The piping on the jersey and pants seems to fit in well too.

matt-ryan.jpg

Agreed, I usually hate it when uniforms don't match, but these and the Jaguars black/teal/white look are pretty good.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

Count me in as another guy who never understood the hate for the Isle's Fisherman jersey. The logo is miles ahead of the original/what they have now, which is among the worst in all pro sports. Sure the lighter colours and waves might not have been all that timeless (which isn't really an issue, since jerseys are updated anyway every three or so years), but the logo was near perfect.

Same goes for the Preds mustard jersey. I can see how the main crest might be a turnoff, being so colourful and busy, but the jersey design itself and colours work great. They should have simply put the skull logo that's on the shoulders as the main, and it would have been one of the best sets in the league.

New York sports teams should look like sports teams, not clownshoes technicolor fever dreams. There's a place for those sorts of uniforms; that place is Salt Lake City or Jacksonville or Phoenix or whatever. The old/new Isles sweaters had New York's colors and a no-nonsense striping pattern. They won four Cups in a row with these. They play in the suburbs of the biggest city in the country. Why shouldn't they look like professionals?

New York sports teams should look like sports teams, not clownshoes technicolor fever dreams. There's a place for those sorts of uniforms; that place is Salt Lake City or Jacksonville or Phoenix or whatever. The old/new Isles sweaters had New York's colors and a no-nonsense striping pattern. They won four Cups in a row with these. They play in the suburbs of the biggest city in the country. Why shouldn't they look like professionals?

Definitely. Sports teams in major cities should base themselves on the city, and not the mascot (possible exception made for the Eagles, because they've had those helmet wings for so long.) Leave the gimmicks for the SLCs of the world. If you want a goofy looking plush mascot for the kids that's fine, but keep it off the uniforms. The current Islanders crest works very well for them IMO. There have been a few concepts here that use the same basic crest but make the NY bigger and have some other mods that also look great.

Same with the Jets. I'd support the simple oval NY for them long before any logo that's based around a jet. The Boston Bruins don't need cuddly bears on their sweaters, the Flyers don't need air planes or pilots or whatever, if we extend to Detroit, the Tigers are just fine with their Ds and don't need Tony the Tiger plastered everywhere, etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with you if we're talking about the Yankees or Rangers, but the Isles, Mets, etc are like the little illegitimate brothers of those teams, they don't command, receive or deserve the same respect, and the orange and blue colour scheme never lends itself to an outright classy look no matter how hard you try. With those colours they'll never look truly "professional", so why not be aesthetically pleasing instead of boring? Too many horrid/boring brands are kept around simply because they're old, not because they're truly classic based on artistic merit (NY Giants anyone?)

How can you say the Islanders deserve no respect but the Rangers do? "mommy, mommy, look, I can be a New York sports team that spends lots of money on big free agents too!"

500px-Flag_of_New_York_City.svg.png

This is a perfectly acceptable color scheme. You're freaking out as it if it's highlighter yellow and pea green.

*IMG of Roger McRoids removed*

Okay, I third the navy undershirts. Beautiful. This has to be my favorite Sox jersey of all time, which most people view as a beer-league softball jersey...

LouMerloni.jpg

Also, I hated, and I mean hated the new road duds when they came out. They've since grown on me a lot. I still miss the World Series era roadies but these aren't to shabby either.

As for the undershirt conundrum, blue at home, red on the road. The roads need some red, and I think they really pop with the red undershirts.

EDIT: While I'm here, bring back the striped stirrups!!!

THIS

I loved that Red Sox uni, it's sort of my white whale to find one. I personally hate the mesh material, but I think it'd be cool just to have.

Blue at home and red on the road seems to make sense, considering their primary home color is red, and the blue undershirt would make it pop, and vice versa for the road.

YES to the stirrups! God, those were beauties. I love everything the Henry ownership has done, except (the majority of) what they've done to the uniforms.

spacer.png