Unpopular Opinions

I wish more baseball teams had followed Charlie O. Finley's example and diversified their color schemes in the 1960's. These color changes wouldn't be nearly as drastic as the A's, but would be enough to prevent the navy/red or royal/red overdose we have today. Some examples of this would be:

Red Sox: Forest Green (to tie in with the Fenway deco)/Red

Twins: Navy Blue/Kelly Green, Royal Blue/Kelly Green, or Forest Green/Powder Blue

Indians: Red/Brown

Braves: Black/Red/Yellow-Gold (for accents)

Royals: Purple/Yellow

Rangers: Blue/Silver or Blue/Bronze

I wouldn't want any of these teams changing their colors now, but I still think it would have been interesting and visually refreshing to see more teams take advantage of color TV in the same way Finley did with the A's and other teams did with their initial color schemes (Pilots/Brewers, Padres, etc.).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I wish more baseball teams had followed Charlie O. Finley's example and diversified their color schemes in the 1960's. These color changes wouldn't be nearly as drastic as the A's, but would be enough to prevent the navy/red or royal/red overdose we have today. Some examples of this would be:

Red Sox: Forest Green (to tie in with the Fenway deco)/Red

Twins: Navy Blue/Kelly Green, Royal Blue/Kelly Green, or Forest Green/Powder Blue

Indians: Red/Brown

Braves: Black/Red/Yellow-Gold (for accents)

Royals: Purple/Yellow

Rangers: Blue/Silver or Blue/Bronze

I wouldn't want any of these teams changing their colors now, but I still think it would have been interesting and visually refreshing to see more teams take advantage of color TV in the same way Finley did with the A's and other teams did with their initial color schemes (Pilots/Brewers, Padres, etc.).

I'm a big fan of regional colors so I think the Brewers should switch to green. 

Just now, Ray Lankford said:

I'm a big fan of regional colors so I think the Brewers should switch to green. 

The history of the American Association Brewers with blue would make me defend blue/yellow for the Brewers. Besides, the A's should be the only green/yellow team.

2 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

You could argue for the Padres to switch to navy and red using that logic.

Of course you could. But that goes against the point of diversifying color schemes.

Royal Blue/Yellow would still be unique, and Green/Yellow wouldn't be.

9 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

You could argue for the Padres to switch to navy and red using that logic.

There was some talk of this around here for a while (semi-legit rumors?)  That is about the only thing the Padres have left to do to make themselves forgettable.

I am OK with the number of navy/red teams given how long most of them have used the scheme.  But I don't want to see any teams change to it or any expansion/relocated teams adopt it.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Green and gold then. You could even throw in dark blue as an accent color, kind of like what the Brewers had in the mid-90s.

That's not a bad idea, but dark blue should probably be a light blue, so it doesn't look all muddy. I still think Royal/Yellow is better (and still unique), but to each their own.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

There was some talk of this around here for a while (semi-legit rumors?)  That is about the only thing the Padres have left to do to make themselves forgettable.

I am OK with the number of navy/red teams given how long most of them have used the scheme.  But I don't want to see any teams change to it or any expansion/relocated teams adopt it.

That was the old owner.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's not a bad idea, but dark blue should probably be a light blue, so it doesn't look all muddy. I still think Royal/Yellow is better (and still unique), but to each their own.

I would actually use a nice sky blue instead of royal while I hate it when the chargers wear sky blue I think it would look better with the padres

3 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

I would actually use a nice sky blue instead of royal while I hate it when the chargers wear sky blue I think it would look better with the padres

He was referring to the Brewers. Although I could see sky blue being returned to its old position of accent color for the Pads. Brown/yellow/sky blue, anyone?

1 minute ago, MCM0313 said:

He was referring to the Brewers. Although I could see sky blue being returned to its old position of accent color for the Pads. Brown/yellow/sky blue, anyone?

Oh my bad brown yellow and sky blue would make for a good color scheme as for the brew crew I would go with either a navy/yellow scheme with their 80s template or go with blue/gold/green

10 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Oh my bad brown yellow and sky blue would make for a good color scheme as for the brew crew I would go with either a navy/yellow scheme with their 80s template or go with blue/gold/green

I like the idea of royal and yellow for Milwaukee. I also like blue and green or blue/gold/green. I feel like the set they had in the late '90s was underappreciated. Not the "Motre Bame" set but the one right after it.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I like the idea of royal and yellow for Milwaukee. I also like blue and green or blue/gold/green. I feel like the set they had in the late '90s was underappreciated. Not the "Motre Bame" set but the one right after it.

Yeah I honestly think their big design is a little generic and that the brewers had a good look in the 90s

I think the thing that ended up downing the 90's Brewers sets was that it needed some sort of nod to brewing in their imagery in order to be "enough" after departing from the ball-in-glove. As it was, though the "MB" and script had Germanic influence to fit Milwaukee, that was really all it had going for it and it just wasn't enough to make a successful identity out of. It's a shame too, because I actually really liked the colors and text. I even kinda liked the "MB". It just seriously needed the barrelman on the sleeves or even a hint of barley somewhere. If it had either-or-both, I really think it would've propelled it from a decent identity to an awesome one. That's not to say every team has to have something in their identity that literally ties to their nickname - the Giants, among others, do just fine - but in the Brewers case having departed from an iconic logo, that's exactly what was needed to, I guess, "make up for it".

Thats why I think (admittedly, unpopularly haha) this current set succeeds in my opinion; that little bit of barley in the identity nods to the industry just enough to make the identity seem complete. It fills the void the 90's identity always had.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png