Unpopular Opinions

Two random ones:

1) Of all the Flying Elvis uniforms, this one looks best to me (even with the mismatched number color):

IMG_5722.JPG

P.S. on that one: Flying Elvis is better in royal blue than navy to me.

2) There hasn't been a single Carolina Panthers concept that I've ever seen that has actually been an improvement. I'm especially not fond of the idea that constantly gets floated around of them in a black helmet. They're one of the best looking teams in football as is, and you're better off tweaking things around with them than doing something drastic.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Two random ones:

1) Of all the Flying Elvis uniforms, this one looks best to me (even with the mismatched number color):

IMG_5722.JPG

2) There hasn't been a single Carolina Panthers concept that I've ever seen that has actually been an improvement. I'm especially not fond of the idea that constantly gets floated around of them in a black helmet. They're one of the best looking teams in football as is, and you're better off tweaking things around with them than doing something drastic.

Tbh while many people prefer their 90s set over their current set, I really think every ones beef with the current stuff is the design screams 2000s. i really think they are better off using their color rush stuff and making a white version of the jersey.

As for the panthers thing, I agree they already look awesome. While a few tweaks wouldn't be bad, they pretty much struck gold with their uniforms and they should never change

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Two random ones:

IMG_5722.JPG

That '93 isn't bad, but I liked the '94 uni more.  An updated '94 uni (with navy and the '93-'94 number font) would look pretty amazing.

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Two random ones:

IMG_5722.JPG

Freaking love the "'Murica" pants stripe on those. It's like a non-sucky version of the Sixers' star-spangled unis from the same era.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Freaking love the "'Murica" pants stripe on those. It's like a non-sucky version of the Sixers' star-spangled unis from the same era.

That's probably my favorite part of the whole thing. It should've survived a whole lot longer than it did. I also like how the helmet looks with a gray face mask better than red as well.

I'll admit too, there's this sort of psychological thing with the royal blue 90's Patriots in general for me; as a young elementary school kid, Drew Bledsoe was one of my favorite players (along with Steve Young and later Peyton Manning). So naturally of course as a kid, I rooted a little for the Patriots. But then Bledsoe left, and then everything with spygate/imperial empire/deflategate and Brady and Belichick being terribly unlikeable happened and the dynasty navy Patriots are now a team I just can't stand. Thus, the idea of the Patriots and Flying Elvis in royal blue remind me of a long-ago team I used to like and a player I rooted for as a kid (and still like) rather than a team I frankly despise now. Sounds weird, but that's how it works in my head. 

It's not crazy, it's just sports :P 

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

21 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That's probably my favorite part of the whole thing. It should've survived a whole lot longer than it did. I also like how the helmet looks with a gray face mask better than red as well.

I'll admit too, there's this sort of psychological thing with the royal blue 90's Patriots in general for me; as a young elementary school kid, Drew Bledsoe was one of my favorite players (along with Steve Young and later Peyton Manning). So naturally of course as a kid, I rooted a little for the Patriots. But then Bledsoe left, and then everything with spygate/imperial empire/deflategate and Brady and Belichick being terribly unlikeable happened and the dynasty navy Patriots are now a team I just can't stand. Thus, the idea of the Patriots and Flying Elvis in royal blue remind me of a long-ago team I used to like and a player I rooted for as a kid (and still like) rather than a team I frankly despise now. Sounds weird, but that's how it works in my head. 

It's not crazy, it's just sports :P 

Not crazy at all! The Pats ended the '93 season on a hot streak just as I was gaining interest in football. That, plus their young star QB, plus their logo, plus the fact that I had played a year of flag football in '92 for a team called the Patriots (when I went back in '94 they had become the Cowboys though), led to the Pats being my first favorite NFL team. I rooted for them during their 1994 playoff season, in which Bledsoe set a new record for single-season pass attempts IIRC, and then during their Super Bowl loss to Green Bay. 

I remember trying to find NES games where I could play as the Pats. I borrowed John Elway's Quarterback from a friend but didn't like the generic red-vs.-blue gameplay or the lack of team and player names. I rented Tecmo Super Bowl and was amazed that it had all 28 teams AND their helmets AND real players! Then I got Madden '95 for Game Gear and my family got a computer for which I got Football Pro, then FBPro '95, then '96, and enjoyed playing with the uniform editors and play editors. 

To complete the '90s-ness, I also had a Patriots Starter jacket, in which my bowl cut and I were professionally photographed sitting back-to-back with my next-door neighbor and flag football teammate in his Cowboys Starter jacket.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

To complete the '90s-ness, I also had a Patriots Starter jacket, in which my bowl cut and I were professionally photographed sitting back-to-back with my next-door neighbor and flag football teammate in his Cowboys Starter jacket.

PLEASE say you had the laser background. Please please.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

PLEASE say you had the laser background. Please please.

Haven't seen it in awhile, but I think the background was a bit more subdued. This was...I want to say December 1995 or January 1996. I had a laser background for some individual photos earlier, in '92 I think, but that was pre-bowl cut.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Not crazy at all! The Pats ended the '93 season on a hot streak just as I was gaining interest in football. That, plus their young star QB, plus their logo, plus the fact that I had played a year of flag football in '92 for a team called the Patriots (when I went back in '94 they had become the Cowboys though), led to the Pats being my first favorite NFL team. I rooted for them during their 1994 playoff season, in which Bledsoe set a new record for single-season pass attempts IIRC, and then during their Super Bowl loss to Green Bay. 

I remember trying to find NES games where I could play as the Pats. I borrowed John Elway's Quarterback from a friend but didn't like the generic red-vs.-blue gameplay or the lack of team and player names. I rented Tecmo Super Bowl and was amazed that it had all 28 teams AND their helmets AND real players! Then I got Madden '95 for Game Gear and my family got a computer for which I got Football Pro, then FBPro '95, then '96, and enjoyed playing with the uniform editors and play editors. 

This is one of the most 90's posts I've ever read, and I love it! Bowl cuts unite! :D 

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

12 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Of all the Flying Elvis uniforms, this one looks best to me (even with the mismatched number color):

IMG_5722.JPG

Really unpopular opinion: This is the best the Patriots have ever looked. I would change the pants stripe (as I think the stripes within the stripe which mimic the logo are a little too busy) to something simpler. Otherwise, that's it. The contrasting numbers and grey facemask MAKE this uniform for me.

I mocked it up on a modern template just to get a better feel for it if it existed today:

pats93.png

• Like 4

20 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I know the Panthers love the all white look, but to me it just doesn't work with the silver helmet. They need start wearing silver pants on the road, at least occassionally.

Also they need to bring back the mono-black with blue socks at least once per year.

Other than that. I wouldn't touch their uniforms. Their blue alts are one of my favorite jerseys in the league. I even like their color rush and think they would look great with black socks.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Really unpopular opinion: This is the best the Patriots have ever looked. I would change the pants stripe (as I think the stripes within the stripe which mimic the logo are a little too busy) to something simpler. Otherwise, that's it. The contrasting numbers and grey facemask MAKE this uniform for me.

I mocked it up on a modern template just to get a better feel for it if it existed today:

pats93.png

Thats beautiful! They technically could throwback to it as it doesn't violate the one-helmet rule....#wishfulthinking

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Really unpopular opinion: This is the best the Patriots have ever looked.

Yeah, I seem to be in the minority that I like Flying Elvis better than Pat Patriot. The latter is nice as a throwback, but looks a little clunky. And I think the Patriots' recent success has established blue as their jersey color.

So all that said, your concept looks great. I'd make the shoulder numbers red too to further distinguish them from the Giants, and maybe use a darker blue.

On 1 de febrero de 2017 at 5:32 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Two random ones:

IMG_5722.JPG

The jerseys themselves are pretty plain but I love the Flying Elvis tail as the pant leg striping.

• Like 1

Maybe mine is the unpopular opinion, but I can't deal with the differing shoulder numbers.  The following year, they corrected that  on the blue jersey (though not on the white) and that was a nice look.  A very basic uniform reflecting the logo change and which to blue as the primary.    

I don't care about how they should not wear red as they did from 1960 to 1992...the 1980s Pats looked good.  I know Pat the Patriot was not a great logo but from the neck down, they looked great.

In the Flying Elvis era, I'd actually rate the current uniform the best because the 1993-1999 period had too many things I hated.  (Hated the huge shoulder logos and the two-tone stripe look and the different-colored TV numbers were just jarring.  I don't like the current piping but but it does not stick out like the TV numbers did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)