Unpopular Opinions

5 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Here's my unpopular opinion... 

I hate soccer jerseys...

It seems like every year they're switched up, and the only thing that stays the same is the ad in the front. And then I don't understand the clash kit. I mean I get why they have it, and that makes sense, but they almost never seem to share any of the same colors, or the same design. 

Almost every other sport follows some unspoken uniform rules, but soccer doesn't really follow anything... 

Agreed. 

Also perhaps this is because I grew up with hockey, but it really bothers me that the sponsor's logo takes front and centre on the shirt while the team's crest is relegated to a small patch on the chest.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Here's my unpopular opinion... 

I hate soccer jerseys...

It seems like every year they're switched up, and the only thing that stays the same is the ad in the front. And then I don't understand the clash kit. I mean I get why they have it, and that makes sense, but they almost never seem to share any of the same colors, or the same design. 

Almost every other sport follows some unspoken uniform rules, but soccer doesn't really follow anything... 

Amen. Even knowing that the ad in the center is just an ad, I still look at soccer team uniforms and think the ad is the team. I see someone with the jersey and think "oh their favorite team is Qatar Airways"

• Like 2

I am a big soccer fan, but I have to admit - soccer jerseys are, on the whole, less visually attractive than those of most North American sports. The advertisements are the biggest culprit there, obviously, but the constant need to debut new jersey designs annually causes lots of problems as well. Both clubs and designers frequently go off-the-wall with designs to differentiate them from previous years' designs, and wind up creating visually jarring, ugly looks. 

From a uniform nerd perspective, it's incredibly fun to track, since there's a glut of new jerseys for every team every single year, as if MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL had all their teams debuting updated jerseys every single year. But on the whole, most are not visually attractive, and many are eyesores due to ugly piping, jarring advertisements, unnecessary patterns, etc.

The varying clash jersey colors did bother me as well when I first started following soccer, but you quickly get used to it. Many teams have traditional clash colors (Arsenal's navy and yellow, United's white and black, etc.) which become familiar to both fans and rivals. I do generally prefer when teams use their primary colors on their clash kit, but I can certainly appreciate that certain clubs have developed unique traditions around their clash jerseys. What I can't stand is when teams choose completely random colors with not historical connection or relevance to their team for their third kits.

• Like 2

I love soccer kits and clash kits. Some clash kits are great while others are horrible. But, I love the flexibility and opportunity they give to explore new solutions. 

And, soccer jerseys with collars are especially nice since men in their 40s-50s can wear them to support their team without looking like they are trying to be a kid wearing a football, basketball, or baseball jersey. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I hate pinstripes. All of them. Yankees, Rockies, White Sox, Phillies, Magic, etc. Even suits. 

I get that some of those uniforms are "untouchable" but they look like pajamas or clown clothes to me.

It's because clowns are purposely trying to look like more respectable clowns by copying the Yankees look. I have no doubt that this is done on purpose. It's the same reason clowns have NNOB and no manufacturer logos on their clown suits.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, KJTALBOT said:

I don't hate the ad patches on NBA uniforms. As long as they don't spread or grow, I'm ok with it.

I don't feel the same about ad patches on MLB, NHL or NFL jerseys. I guess I don't care enough about the NBA.  

Everyone loves a roundel.

22 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

I don't really get what everyone's love of standard block lettering is, especially for unique/modern uniform sets. An example of this is the bengals IMO 

IMG_1130.PNG

The problem, especially with a look as busy as the Bengals (with the stripes, orange/black), is it's just too much going on. A basic numeral font and simple outline (no drop shadow) compliments the design rather than competing with it. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

The problem, especially with a look as busy as the Bengals (with the stripes, orange/black), is it's just too much going on. A basic numeral font and simple outline (no drop shadow) compliments the design rather than competing with it. 

This. Did you see Cincy's mininalist white Color Rush jerseys? They were absolutely fantastic. No side panels, no drop shadows, block numbers, just a few splashes of orange...yet it had the requisite tiger stripes and very much looked "right" for them, IMO. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's because clowns are purposely trying to look like more respectable clowns by copying the Yankees look. I have no doubt that this is done on purpose. It's the same reason clowns have NNOB and no manufacturer logos on their clown suits.

And yet oddly enough I think the Yankees do it the worst out of all of them. I unabashedly think the Yankees home pinstripes are among the worst looks in the league. I think out of all of them the Phillies probably do it the best, while still looking bad. I also don't think the Magic copied the Yankees.

I disagree about the NNOB thing, I think any team that does it is just trying to look "Old School". Same with using offwhite.

• Like 1

It could be that it's because I love the company's branding altogether, but I've always been a huge fan of the New York Red Bulls identity. Love the crest, love the kits, and even love the big dueling bulls on the front. 

Now all they they need is a second or third kit design modeled after the can, and they're set.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png