raysox

Unpopular Opinions

7,140 posts in this topic

I love these uniforms as a modernization/New Orleans-ized version of the original Hornets' set:

davis_121022.jpg 220px-Anthony_Davis_Hornets.jpg

Heck, I wish the current Hornets used these uniforms as a template. All they'd need do to would be to swap "Creole Blue" for teal, incorporate more purple in outlines/striping,  dump the yellow accent color, and add either their current font or Rockwell Condensed Bold.

4 people like this

rangers.jpg

5499.jpg

I think if you take these and make the blue royal it's better than their current set

2 people like this

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I love these uniforms as a modernization/New Orleans-ized version of the original Hornets' set:

Heck, I wish the current Hornets used these uniforms as a template. All they'd need do to would be to swap "Creole Blue" for teal, incorporate more purple in outlines/striping,  dump the yellow accent color, and add either their current font or Rockwell Condensed Bold.

I wish the Pelicans would use this in navy, red and gold.

4 people like this

While I prefer them as the mighty ducks, I actually don't mind these

rickard-rakell-nhl-anaheim-ducks-philadelphia-flyers-590x900.jpg

singlegameticketsDL090315header.jpg

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

While I prefer them as the mighty ducks, I actually don't mind these

rickard-rakell-nhl-anaheim-ducks-philadelphia-flyers-590x900.jpg

singlegameticketsDL090315header.jpg

Yeah, me neither I would actually like for them to keep this identity and just make the Mighty Ducks an alt uni (In purple and teal)

I think my opinion is unpopular...

...I prefer with absolutely not a shred of hesitation, "Anaheim Ducks" to "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim."  First, regardless of "Ducks" vs. "Mighty Ducks" the "...of Anaheim" is terrible.  In other words "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" would be better than what they were actually called.  I think I actually thought they were called "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" for a while and once I learned the real name, I probably let out a groan.

Second, the "Mighty" is a little too campy, or whatever...call me humorless, but it's just not a serious enough name.  "Anaheim Ducks" is just fine and would have worked from Day 1 with the original look.

All that said, I also did not like their original look as much as most of you do but it was at least unique, with the eggplant color.  I think I prefer the current look, but it would be fine with me if they went back to the old look, so long as they keep the name "Anaheim Ducks."

7 people like this

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

...I prefer with absolutely not a shred of hesitation, "Anaheim Ducks" to "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim."  First, regardless of "Ducks" vs. "Mighty Ducks" the "...of Anaheim" is terrible.  In other words "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" would be better than what they were actually called.  I think I actually thought they were called "Anaheim Mighty Ducks" for a while and once I learned the real name, I probably let out a groan.

Second, the "Mighty" is a little too campy, or whatever...call me humorless, but it's just not a serious enough name.  "Anaheim Ducks" is just fine and would have worked from Day 1 with the original look.

All that said, I also did not like their original look as much as most of you do but it was at least unique, with the eggplant color.  I think I prefer the current look, but it would be fine with me if they went back to the old look, so long as they keep the name "Anaheim Ducks."

Time to start back up the circle of discussion about the Anaheim Ducks, but...

The Webbed-D logo is a great logo. It's simple. It's a great idea, and it looks good even in smaller applications. It's extremely underrated, and even hated on here, mostly because it's not the Mighty Ducks logo... 

Both have their flaws, and both have really good things about them, but the Webbed D is better. 

It has cleaner and more consistent lines than the Mighty ducks, and it has a better overall use of their colors.

1651_anaheim_ducks-primary-2014.gif

Silver is present, but that is about the only flaw I can find... 

The Mighty Ducks logo however uses yellow and black, pretty dominantly, and those colors don't appear anywhere on the main jerseys. And the outline around the sticks and part of the beak-mask, outside of the rounded triangle, is thicker than anywhere else... Why can't it be the same thickness? If that had appeared on the Webbed-D logo, Everyone would have pointed it out, and ridiculed it... 

1.gif

If I wasn't a hockey fan, and I was seeing this logo for the first time, then I would have no idea that the uniforms had eggplant all over them. I also would be surprised to find out that yellow wasn't present on the regular home and roads... 

Now don't get me wrong... It's a fun identity, the eggplant jerseys were fantastic, (The whites had some color balance issues), and it even makes me nostalgic. This identity existed when I started watching and getting into hockey. BUT... It's not a good logo... 

7 people like this

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I much prefer these to what they wear as the reinvented Charlotte hornets

2 people like this

18 hours ago, Ark said:

rangers.jpg

5499.jpg

I think if you take these and make the blue royal it's better than their current set

I LOVE this set and wish they would bring it back as alternates 

One of the best uniform match-ups ever.

usa_today_9940688.0.jpg

3 people like this

19 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

1.gif

I can't see that logo and not think cheesy Disney movie. Not something I think professional teams and their players would aspire to. 

5 people like this

20 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

1.gif

Yeah, I've really soured on this logo. Never mind that it lacks purple, but it also has another glaring issue. The triangle backing, presence of hockey sticks (showing equipment is a mark against any hockey logo), and the prominence of teal and black make it look a little too much like the Sharks' logos. I know that they're in different styles and nobody in real life would confuse them, but the phenotype similarities are a little too strong for my liking. The purple/teal color scheme was nice, but the NBA Hornets use those colors in a better capacity.

I don't even like the pumpkin guts look. While the foot-d is a decent logo, it's really best left on the shoulders. An ornithologically-correct duck logo (either a portrait view from within a bounding shape - be it a roundel or a shield or a full view of a duck in flight) would be better. What also would be better is a dark green/orange/vegas gold color scheme, as there's too much black and not enough green in the NHL. A better template, like the current third sweater, should be implemented.

22 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

That's not unpopular. Heck, most of the people who want the old Ducks identity back don't want the "Mighty... of Anaheim" to return. These are people who've had to put up with the whole Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim crap, and I think they'd appreciate both a more straightforward/Anaheim-centric name.

2 people like this

Sometimes its imperfections are what make a logo perfect.

5 people like this

I like these uniforms

9225351051_b35492285a_o.jpg

Cobbretro.jpg?format=500w

3 people like this

56 minutes ago, Ark said:

I like these uniforms

9225351051_b35492285a_o.jpg

Cobbretro.jpg?format=500w

They aren't bad, as fauxbacks go. They have their own funky style.

2 people like this

On 3/14/2017 at 11:08 PM, PepMan33Conde said:

One of the best uniform match-ups ever.

usa_today_9940688.0.jpg

I know the Flames set has it's various issues, but the one thing that has always bugged me the most i think is the socks.  The white is the dominant color of the stripes and just doesn't fit with the rest of the uniform.  If they even just filled in the bottom to be black, it look a whole lot better. 

fl_zpspebb5zm5.png

To make it more maddening they flip the sock/arm stripes on their previous alt!

2 people like this

On 3/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, OnWis97 said:

I just want the arena to go back to being named "The Pond".  Wish Honda could do something with that name, but not necessarily name it "Honda Pond".  

1 person likes this

I really liked the alternate third jersey black unis for the Chicago Blackhawks they had for about a decade

600x436

Seriously, I wouldn't mind the Hawks bringing this back on occasion.

6 people like this

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I just want the arena to go back to being named "The Pond".  Wish Honda could do something with that name, but not necessarily name it "Honda Pond".  

The Mighty Pond of Honda? :P

3 people like this

The Mighty Ducks are an interesting case in regards to this thread. They're so "love/hate" across the board that I dont know that either opinion is particularly unpopular. Seems for every person who adores it, there's another that hates it. Just sort of evens out all the time.

As for me? I'm in the "freaking love it" camp. All the things that bother others about it are just frankly non-factors to me (like the "too Disney" argument; I mean yeah, it's Disney, but so what? I don't care. It still looks great to me). And the identity is one of the biggest sources of childhood nostalgia rush in all of sports for me.

Truth be told? I was something of a Mighty Ducks fan as a kid, but legit stopped caring much for them when they rebranded. Dead serious, I hated the rebrand that much. It was awful then and is still awful now (only now it's also aged). The Mighty Ducks identity was precisely what roped me in in the first place; being a kid in the 90's meant you were their target market as far as the brand was concerned, and hey, it worked on me and tons of other kids in my neck of the woods. 

And just to to be clear, I'm perfectly fine with them being just the "Ducks". The name isn't the problem at all. Whether "Mighty" is in there or not really doesn't make a difference to me. I just want the colors and the duck mask to come back permanently, and for the webbed-D and regurgitated-candy color scheme to be shot back to the dark demonic hole from whence it came. 

4 people like this