Unpopular Opinions

5 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

One thing about the Giants' cream look is that the pants look terrible when paired with the orange jerseys. 

I agree that the Giants need orange pants to go with their orange jerseys, and that this combo should be their primary road look. Great ideas!

26 minutes ago, Ark said:

On this board I'm surprised this isn't a popular opinion but stirrups should be required in MLB

At the very least, high socks or stirrups should be required. I hate the lack of uniformity with socks across baseball right now.

The thing with stirrups is that every fan prefers different lengths, and there's really no one "perfect" length. I'd bet it's usually based on what they grew upb with - fans who came of age in the 60s and 70s probably would prefer higher stirrups.

Personally, I'm a fan of very low stirrups, such as these:

614%20Joe%20Dimaggio%20Tony%20Lazzeri%20

On the other hand, I hate the very high stirrup look that was popular in the 80's.

I suppose the best solution is to say that every player has to wear their pants up to a certain length, and allow players to choose between high socks or stirrups.

Maybe less of an unpopular opinion and more of a weird one, but I'm usually a big fan of uniform numbers with gapped outlines, like so:
0462.png 1875.png 62504.pngUC652.png 0287.png

I think it just generally makes for a really nice look... with one exception: the Montreal Canadiens.
UL2897.png

I don't know exactly what it is, but to me that just looks awful on the Habs' white jersey; I think the old gapless look is much better:
UL2947.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Maybe less of an unpopular opinion and more of a weird one, but I'm usually a big fan of uniform numbers with gapped outlines, like so:
0462.png 1875.png 62504.pngUC652.png 0287.png

I think it just generally makes for a really nice look... with one exception: the Montreal Canadiens.
UL2897.png

I don't know exactly what it is, but to me that just looks awful on the Habs' white jersey; I think the old gapless look is much better:
UL2947.png

I'm actually the opposite - I hate double outlines, especially gapped outlines, as a general rule. I actually think the Canadiens' look a little better than most, though I still much prefer the gapless outline.

The only example in your post that I think looks okay is the Penguins' jersey, since the Vegas gold and white never touch across the entire jersey (and thus the gapped outline maintains consistency across the jersey). But I generally think those gapped outlines add visual clutter, and make numbers far less defined.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

I don't know how unpopular this is but I do not like the little tweaks made on the Mariners uniforms. I think they're a downgrade to what was a perfectly fine set. 

IMG_9587.JPGIMG_9585.JPG

hated this update. I know that seems extreme for a simple change in outlines, but it actually gets to my post above - the silver outline in the middle effectively creates what looks like a gapped outline, since the silver is virtually indistinguishable from either the white or gray fabric from a distance. It looks especially bad on the home uniform, IMO.

The original version, with silver on the outside, looked far superior, since the silver basically blended in with the background. I'd personally prefer a simple blue-outlined-in-teal wordmark, but the silver was barely noticeable, so it basically created the same effect.

Double outlines can be good ways to reinforce novel color schemes. Teal/silver/black numbers would look top-notch for the Sharks, better than plain old teal and black do. They do look bad on the Habs' whites, but double outlines would work (and have!) on the cult-classic chest-stripe whites.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

30 minutes ago, kroywen said:

hated this update. I know that seems extreme for a simple change in outlines, but it actually gets to my post above - the silver outline in the middle effectively creates what looks like a gapped outline, since the silver is virtually indistinguishable from either the white or gray fabric from a distance. It looks especially bad on the home uniform, IMO.

The original version, with silver on the outside, looked far superior, since the silver basically blended in with the background. I'd personally prefer a simple blue-outlined-in-teal wordmark, but the silver was barely noticeable, so it basically created the same effect.

I do think the road uniform is better with the alterations. The teal used to just blend in with the navy wordmark and white outline. However, this prevented the tweak I actually wanted to see:

rmLOqOn.png

Using teal like the Orioles use orange (a statement I've been saying a lot lately) would allow the Mariners to stand out from the other navy teams and promote their unique color scheme. Also, going down to one outline makes for clearer scripts.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, kroywen said:

At the very least, high socks or stirrups should be required. I hate the lack of uniformity with socks across baseball right now.

The thing with stirrups is that every fan prefers different lengths, and there's really no one "perfect" length. I'd bet it's usually based on what they grew upb with - fans who came of age in the 60s and 70s probably would prefer higher stirrups.

Personally, I'm a fan of very low stirrups, such as these:

614%20Joe%20Dimaggio%20Tony%20Lazzeri%20

On the other hand, I hate the very high stirrup look that was popular in the 80's.

I suppose the best solution is to say that every player has to wear their pants up to a certain length, and allow players to choose between high socks or stirrups.

Yes on the low cut stirrups. I will take today's pajama pants over 80s ribbon stirrups 100/100. And 60s/70s higher cut stirrups just look wrong to me, but at least there's something there.

My pref list: low cut stirrup>high sock>high cut stirrup>pajama pants>ribbon stirrups>self immolation>2 in 1s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I do think the road uniform is better with the alterations. The teal used to just blend in with the navy wordmark and white outline. However, this prevented the tweak I actually wanted to see:

rmLOqOn.png

Using teal like the Orioles use orange (a statement I've been saying a lot lately) would allow the Mariners to stand out from the other navy teams and promote their unique color scheme. Also, going down to one outline makes for clearer scripts.

I like this!

1 hour ago, RichO said:

Yes on the low cut stirrups. I will take today's pajama pants over 80s ribbon stirrups 100/100. And 60s/70s higher cut stirrups just look wrong to me, but at least there's something there.

My pref list: low cut stirrup>high sock>high cut stirrup>pajama pants>ribbon stirrups>self immolation>2 in 1s.

I'd have to agree entirely on that preference list. As a child of the 90s, who grew up right after the "ribbon stirrup" fad ended, it looks so terrible to me. I'd honestly rather players wear pajama pants than those awful ribbon stirrups, though perhaps that's just because I'm more used to pajama pants (to my dismay).

High cut stirrups aren't terrible, and at least on the A's, can lead to a really unique and exciting look:

Josh+Outman+Oakland+Athletics+v+Los+Ange

I wouldn't necessarily want the entire A's team is high stirrups like that, but a few guys? Especially some quirky relievers (who always seem to be the ones rocking the high stirrups as it is)? I love it.

2 in 1s deserve to be burned in a fiery pit and never seen again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Double outlines can be good ways to reinforce novel color schemes. Teal/silver/black numbers would look top-notch for the Sharks, better than plain old teal and black do. They do look bad on the Habs' whites, but double outlines would work (and have!) on the cult-classic chest-stripe whites.

In my opinion and experience, double outlines are a misguided attempt to give an existing look a better feel. Similar to the mistake of adding a random black outline to something and thinking it is an improvement. Generally when designers feel the need to add these things there is some other underlying problem with the design that needs addressing. In the Mariners' case, I think it was change for change's sake rather than changing for the better. But, we see this mistake made everywhere. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 0:39 AM, Ark said:

On this board I'm surprised this isn't a popular opinion but stirrups should be required in MLB

I would only be on board with this if players were also required to wear low top cleats.

I really hate the look of high socks with big sneaker cleats.