Unpopular Opinions

1 hour ago, lahaye7 said:

I'm not sure this is unpopular, but I hate the Pirates current Fam-i-lee throwbacks. It's the cap and the pants that bug me. It's not a true pillbox hat and the black pants are terrible with the pajama style. 

I'm with you. I've always thought it was really ugly and tacky. I get there's a lot of nostalgia and history to it, and I'm all for throwbacks in general, but it's still a terrible uniform. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't have a problem with league-wide retirements. Or retired numbers at all. I really don't get what it is about them that sends some people off.

League-wide seems annoying to me. I don't get why someone on the Florida Panthers can't wear 99. Gretzky never played with them.

Team retirements are fine.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just 2000s/Mike Piazza nostalgia, but I really don't see a problem with BFBS alternates. I mean, they are alternates, so why can't teams experiment a bit with their color scheme? And on that note, I don't mind teams adding a bit of black to classic logos either (like the Reds); I think it makes them look more modern.

53Ocz8U.png

Number retirements are good with me. I doubt it'll get to that point ever for a team, but how long until we see an NFL QB wearing 20 because a team has 1-19 retired.

I think there would be a point where a team says "Maybe we should cool it on the number retirements."

As long as we're talking about league-wide retirements, I'm still not sure Gretzky was really deserving of the honor. I understand the reasons for Robinson, that he largely transcended baseball. But Gretzky... he was just a really good player. But so was Michael Jordan. And so was Dan Marino. I realize that Gretzky was effectively the MVP's MVP, but he simply didn't face the same kind of adversity Robinson did.

(And for the record, no, Jordan's #23 should not be retired league-wide, either, no matter how much LeBron might say so.)

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Maybe it's just 2000s/Mike Piazza nostalgia, but I really don't see a problem with BFBS alternates. I mean, they are alternates, so why can't teams experiment a bit with their color scheme? And on that note, I don't mind teams adding a bit of black to classic logos either (like the Reds); I think it makes them look more modern.

Adding hot pink or sea green or electric blue or lime green or brown to a color scheme is an experiment. Adding black or silver or navy or red is just doing the same thing half the other teams have already done.

56 minutes ago, Shumway said:

I also liked the cap that went along with these (the helmets didn't match)

ythli4enhe1pgo35skk06ewxp.gif

Thats still my favorite Indians cap of all time. If I had my way - and this is probably an unpopular opinion in and of itself - that'd be their primary cap across the board. Maybe one with a red bill too as an alternate.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

As long as we're talking about league-wide retirements, I'm still not sure Gretzky was really deserving of the honor. I understand the reasons for Robinson, that he largely transcended baseball. But Gretzky... he was just a really good player. But so was Michael Jordan. And so was Dan Marino. I realize that Gretzky was effectively the MVP's MVP, but he simply didn't face the same kind of adversity Robinson did.

(And for the record, no, Jordan's #23 should not be retired league-wide, either, no matter how much LeBron might say so.)

Well I don't think anyone claimed Gretzky's number was retired due to any adversity he may or may not have faced. It was retired league-wide because he was, to be perfectly frank, the best hockey player who will ever live. This is a guy who was so dominant that if you take away every goal he scored? Still has the record for all time points on assists alone.

No one ever came close. It's Gretzky and everyone else fighting to be a distant second. 

So if the rationale is "we retired your number league-wide because you're the best there is, the best there was, and the best that ever will be"? I see no problem with it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

It's also a nostalgic thing for me. I grew up with that late 90s-early 00s Mets team and wore (still wear) the Black uniforms so that's why I never thought the Black Mets uniforms were bad.

I will say this, the Mets are far better off without black. This is the best they've ever looked in a long time but if they were to bring out the black uniforms as a special 2000 Throwback Day or something (that makes me feel old), I wouldn't mind. 

• Like 3

XM4KeeA.png

2 hours ago, Shumway said:

I also liked the cap that went along with these (the helmets didn't match)

ythli4enhe1pgo35skk06ewxp.gif

This is the cap the Indians should be embracing. If they started using this as a primary cap, there would be zero complains. 

• Like 1

XM4KeeA.png

56 minutes ago, insert name said:

This is the cap the Indians should be embracing. If they started using this as a primary cap, there would be zero complains. 

I agree. Not only is it far better than the block C they are using now, I can't think of any other team that has an I monogram, so it would be unique.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DNAsports said:

On baseball uniforms, I cannot stand when jerseys have numbers on one side and a logo on the other side on the front.

I agree.  I can't stand the Reds home jerseys.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

10 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I agree. Not only is it far better than the block C they are using now, I can't think of any other team that has an I monogram, so it would be unique.

I always see a lower case G or a funky looking J when I see that logo not accompanied by the rest of the wordmark.

ClAFLDa.png

My only issue with the I logo is that it represents the mascot and not the city. Wouldn't mind if they replaced Wahoo with the I and started using it on home caps but kept the C on the road, though. 

Not sure of the right direction for a brand new Indians logo outside of changing the name.