raysox

Unpopular Opinions

7,463 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Blues don't wear black. It's royal blue, yellow/gold, and navy.

fSsOMco.jpg

You're right. My bad on that one.

Another one that gets too much love is the Caps jerseys up until 1995. Nothing hideous about them, but I never liked the white shoulder yokes on the road jerseys. I thought the wordmark and the font they used was a bit beer league-ish. They wedged Washington in their in tiny barely visible print. Went overboard with the stars. On the plus side the red was pretty vibrant and I liked the red helmets. Also liked their striping as well as the piping going down the side of their pants with the stars in them. But overall they could seem too busy and cluttered to me especially when they added various anniversary patches as well as captains and assistants C's and A's.

4918-361Fr.jpg

3 people like this

I wish the Dodgers would have a set schedule of when they'll wear their road primaries and their alternates.  When I head to Dodger Stadium South this year I want to be wearing the same road uniform that's being worn on the field.  Sure, the Padres have a lot of uniforms, but at least the fans know when they'll be worn.

Oh, and I prefer the Los Angeles script.

1 hour ago, Ben in LA said:

I wish the Dodgers would have a set schedule of when they'll wear their road primaries and their alternates.  When I head to Dodger Stadium South this year I want to be wearing the same road uniform that's being worn on the field.  Sure, the Padres have a lot of uniforms, but at least the fans know when they'll be worn.

Judging by how they seem to operate, it'll be the alternate, unless it isnt.

12 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I'm really surprised the Dodgers don't have a set schedule given how traditional they're more or less remained. I often cite the Lakers as a good example of how to do things... Whites are worn at home every Sunday and holiday, so there's never a question of when. I'd like to see the Dodgers do something similar. A good example to follow might be the Royals... They do colored jerseys during day games, dark blue at home and light blue on the road. Maybe the Dodgers could adopt something like their "LA" road jersey for out-of-state games, and their "Dodgers" road jersey for in-state games.

13 hours ago, Quillz said:

I'm really surprised the Dodgers don't have a set schedule given how traditional they're more or less remained. I often cite the Lakers as a good example of how to do things... Whites are worn at home every Sunday and holiday, so there's never a question of when. I'd like to see the Dodgers do something similar. A good example to follow might be the Royals... They do colored jerseys during day games, dark blue at home and light blue on the road. Maybe the Dodgers could adopt something like their "LA" road jersey for out-of-state games, and their "Dodgers" road jersey for in-state games.

I'd be down for that...except I want to see the Los Angeles script more often.

Here's one that might really piss some people off... I've never liked the Raiders logo. At least, not as a helmet logo. I pointed out in another topic that I just find it way too busy, has too many tiny details that are basically invisible at small sizes.

I really like how the Vikings cleaned up and modernized their classic logo. They thickened the lines, removed a lot of unnecessary detail, to produce a logo that was nearly identical yet worked much better at various sizes. Or look how the Florida Panthers managed to do the same with their (now alternate) logo. I really think the Raiders could stand to do something similar, especially with the impending move to Las Vegas.

1 person likes this

I think the Minnesota Wild's attempts at a faux-retro jersey set are garbage. They should honestly go in the other direction and come up with something that fits the late-90s, early-00s logo design they have. Maybe something like the Stars' Mooterus jersey...?

On 4/6/2017 at 8:44 AM, BJ Sands said:

Football teams shouldn't retire numbers. Isn't practical. Any numbers that are retired should be thrown back into circulation.

Want to honor team legends? Go with a Ring of Honor.

No sports team should ever retire any number, regardless of popularity.

I'm not sure this is unpopular, but I hate the Pirates current Fam-i-lee throwbacks. It's the cap and the pants that bug me. It's not a true pillbox hat and the black pants are terrible with the pajama style. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, lahaye7 said:

I'm not sure this is unpopular, but I hate the Pirates current Fam-i-lee throwbacks. It's the cap and the pants that bug me. It's not a true pillbox hat and the black pants are terrible with the pajama style. 

I'm with you. I've always thought it was really ugly and tacky. I get there's a lot of nostalgia and history to it, and I'm all for throwbacks in general, but it's still a terrible uniform. 

2 people like this

On baseball uniforms, I cannot stand when jerseys have numbers on one side and a logo on the other side on the front.

4 people like this

I don't have a problem with league-wide retirements. Or retired numbers at all. I really don't get what it is about them that sends some people off.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't have a problem with league-wide retirements. Or retired numbers at all. I really don't get what it is about them that sends some people off.

League-wide seems annoying to me. I don't get why someone on the Florida Panthers can't wear 99. Gretzky never played with them.

Team retirements are fine.

2 people like this

Maybe it's just 2000s/Mike Piazza nostalgia, but I really don't see a problem with BFBS alternates. I mean, they are alternates, so why can't teams experiment a bit with their color scheme? And on that note, I don't mind teams adding a bit of black to classic logos either (like the Reds); I think it makes them look more modern.

Number retirements are good with me. I doubt it'll get to that point ever for a team, but how long until we see an NFL QB wearing 20 because a team has 1-19 retired.

I think there would be a point where a team says "Maybe we should cool it on the number retirements."

As long as we're talking about league-wide retirements, I'm still not sure Gretzky was really deserving of the honor. I understand the reasons for Robinson, that he largely transcended baseball. But Gretzky... he was just a really good player. But so was Michael Jordan. And so was Dan Marino. I realize that Gretzky was effectively the MVP's MVP, but he simply didn't face the same kind of adversity Robinson did.

(And for the record, no, Jordan's #23 should not be retired league-wide, either, no matter how much LeBron might say so.)

6 people like this

5 hours ago, San Diego said:

GettyImages-51283986_1480639329190_72097

I like these Indian uniforms.

I also liked the cap that went along with these (the helmets didn't match)

ythli4enhe1pgo35skk06ewxp.gif

2 people like this

49 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Maybe it's just 2000s/Mike Piazza nostalgia, but I really don't see a problem with BFBS alternates. I mean, they are alternates, so why can't teams experiment a bit with their color scheme? And on that note, I don't mind teams adding a bit of black to classic logos either (like the Reds); I think it makes them look more modern.

Adding hot pink or sea green or electric blue or lime green or brown to a color scheme is an experiment. Adding black or silver or navy or red is just doing the same thing half the other teams have already done.