raysox

Unpopular Opinions

7,471 posts in this topic

I'm warming up to the Padres' home jerseys.  Still wish they had kept the gold though...and the road unis shouldn't have that bow tie font.  I was at the Dodgers/Padres game Friday; I love the brown alternates, but don't thing the Taco Bell hat goes with it.  Solid brown would be better.

1 person likes this

t8Ftvog.gif

Still a better logo than the Vegas Knights'.

24 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

t8Ftvog.gif

Not true. I would take vegas' logo over that any day.

2 people like this

^ I was gonna point out that his opinion was suppose to be unpopular, but yours might be as well. :grin:

Pros: Actually depicts a knight instead of using a West Point-esque Spartan helmet and trying to pass it off as a knight's helm.

Cons: Awkward shield shape, dated as hell wordmark, unnecessary hockey stick, bad colour scheme, and too cartoony. It's what a NHL team called the "Knights" would have used if they were a 90s expansion team. And I don't mean that in a good way.

The Vegas Golden Knights logo's very flawed, but I think I prefer it over this one.

Not-Sure-If-This-Is-An-Unpopular-Opinion-Or-Not:

This is the best "Knights" logo any team has ever used...

SG2VDDI.gif

Followed by this one...

KIVYkfI.gif

1 person likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 5:34 PM, buzzcut said:

No sports team should ever retire any number, regardless of popularity.

I think we just just found the straw that wants to break the camel's back.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdtvFVowKVTF4BW05uQxe

I actually like Rutgers' old knight logo (not-so-affectionately known as "the battleship on fire" among alumni).

7 people like this

Unpopular Opinion: The 90s Lightning logo sucked and the jerseys were meh and there's nothing redeeming or better compared to the current set. I've never seen an "add black and silver" Lightning concept that I've liked since the rebrand. it's forcing a square peg into a round hole since the logo wasn't designed to have outlines or fill.

9 people like this

2 hours ago, raysox said:

Unpopular Opinion: The 90s Lightning logo sucked and the jerseys were meh and there's nothing redeeming or better compared to the current set. I've never seen an "add black and silver" Lightning concept that I've liked since the rebrand. it's forcing a square peg into a round hole since the logo wasn't designed to have outlines or fill.

Could not agree more. As much as I miss the old color scheme.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, raysox said:

This one hurts to admit but you're right. Every concept that adds black misses the point entirely. 

3 people like this

While the Vegas logo doesn't historically represent knights very accurately, as a logo is it league's better than every single cartoony piece of garbage posted above.

Their main problem was picking boring as colors. The logo is kinda cool.

On 7/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, dont care said:

Not true. I would take vegas' logo over that any day.

Agreed. That's basically a crotch level view.

2 people like this

As long as North American leagues don't get as crazy as European hockey leagues for example, I'm totally okay with jersey sponsors. The NBA's approach looks fine and fairly unimposing so far. Yes, some sponsor logos could work better with the teams' looks, but they still look better than the WNBA. Same goes for the NHL if they eventually add jersey sponsors. If they stay roughly the same size as a commemorative or captain's patch, I'm fine with it. Just don't slap a billboard below the crest or under the back number.

Same goes for the New Era logo on MLB hats. It doesn't offend me. Let the manufacturer get their due.

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Bradbury said:

As long as North American leagues don't get as crazy as European hockey leagues for example, I'm totally okay with jersey sponsors. The NBA's approach looks fine and fairly unimposing so far. Yes, some sponsor logos could work better with the teams' looks, but they still look better than the WNBA. Same goes for the NHL if they eventually add jersey sponsors. If they stay roughly the same size as a commemorative or captain's patch, I'm fine with it. Just don't slap a billboard below the crest or under the back number.

Same goes for the New Era logo on MLB hats. It doesn't offend me. Let the manufacturer get their due.

No no no no no no no.

6 people like this

On 7/6/2017 at 3:39 PM, miketd1 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdtvFVowKVTF4BW05uQxe

I actually like Rutgers' old knight logo (not-so-affectionately known as "the battleship on fire" among alumni).

Holy crap. Now I'll never be able to un-see that.

4 people like this

On 7/6/2017 at 3:51 PM, raysox said:

I couldn't agree more. In general, I hate black and blue as a color scheme. The two colors are too dark to work together, and wind up competing with one another. When right next to each other, they blend in together, sometimes to the point of creating a hazy purple effect where they meet. It's utterly pointless to have two dark colors that don't play well off one another in your color scheme. The black-and-blue trend (mainly by blue teams that added BFBS) seems to have mercifully died out, and I don't want to see it revived by the Lightning.

The Lightning's current set is by far the best in their history. It's a low bar (I strongly dislike all of their previous jerseys), but better to rip off the Maple Leafs and Red Wings rather than continue the "are we a black team, a blue team, or both?" identity crisis they had before. At least now they're taking their cues from the right places, rather than from the BFBS trend.

My preferred Lightning identity would probably add in a dash of silver on their jerseys, keeping the logo as-is. Some silver striping and detailing would help set them apart from the Wings and Leafs design-wise. But no need to return to what were honestly ugly jerseys and a hideous logo.

1 person likes this

Speaking of Black and Blue, I thought West Virgina using black on football uniforms was a good idea. The execution was poor just putting it on the shoulder caps, but if done right it's unique in the FBS and makes sense in the coal miner, mountaineer identity.

4 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Speaking of Black and Blue, I thought West Virgina using black on football uniforms was a good idea. The execution was poor just putting it on the shoulder caps, but if done right it's unique in the FBS and makes sense in the coal miner, mountaineer identity.

It makes sense in terms of their nickname but it's hideous. If they want to emphasize coal-mining they should make black an official school color and phase out navy blue.

On 7/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, Lights Out said:

t8Ftvog.gif

Being at "crotch level" of the knight makes me REALLY uncomfortable. 

1 person likes this

Johnny Canuck is a terrible logo. Just a guy dressed in plaid. And the V logo with Johnny's head makes me think of John the Baptist. 

2 people like this