Unpopular Opinions

When the White Sox went to that look, I viewed it as following a trend.  I'd never have thought they'd still have it nearly 30 years later...after all, they were the team that changed uniforms regularly.

And now, after variations of blue and/or red, this is their identity, which is saying a lot for an original AL team.  I think their willingness to keep the brand constant has made it so. I know we all are disappointed about the change to the patch and pants striping on the road, but in the big picture, nothing much has changed.

It's actually a very "Yankees" set.  The road uniforms incorporate enough white to look a bit less traditional than the homes, which don't mess with sleeve piping/stripes and serve as traditional, team-identifying threads.

Interestingly, I always consider the Yankees a top-5 look, but don't really with the Sox.  Part of it, I suppose, is a nod toward the tradition of that Yankee uniform as symbolic of what baseball uniforms should be.  Another part is just general preference that I can't put my finger on.  And finally, the interlocking "NY" is better than the "Sox."  This is particularly true of the hat. While that home jersey is great, the road jersey is solid, and the overall look works really well, I actually put their hat toward the bottom.  I know using "Sox" on the hat is kinda their thing (and the "C" on the late 1980s hat, while serviceable, looked odd), but I personally can't put that with the top hats in MLB.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

Not only is the White Sox's home set better than the Yankees' but their road set is way better and they have a very good alt. The White Sox could very well have the best overall look in baseball.

If they brought back the sock patch, the old striping on their road pants and ditched those horrific matte helmets then I’d say they would give the cardinals a run for their money as the best overall look.  The Yankees don’t have a bad look but they have to be the most over rated uniforms I can think of. They aren’t even the top three in their division let alone near the top of baseball. Iconic yes, but best? Not even close. 

• Like 1

I think the Twins could be the best blue/red team if they would narrow their image, skip the red-dominated hats and jerseys, and dump the gold.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, Ark said:

If they Twins are the best looking navy/red team now what were they before?

1f5a87e36a86b88d21948bd03dcd0408.jpg

Torii+Hunter+smile.jpg

Maybe the pinstripe home jersey was better (but not really) but the new road is a thousand times better. The new wordmark alone is way better.

Personally, I think pinstripes only really work with chest logos and on top of that, a well designed wordmark like the Twins' shouldn't have lines running through it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ark said:

If the Twins are the best looking navy/red team now what were they before?

1f5a87e36a86b88d21948bd03dcd0408.jpg

Torii+Hunter+smile.jpg

Maybe this is the more unpopular opinion, but beyond the World Series nostalgia (which is, admittedly, a big factor) I never really felt the love for these uniforms. Pinstripes to me were never a key aspect that the Twins absolutely needed, especially on the road. As said before I think both the home & away “pop” way more without pinstripes. I will concede that gold should probably be dropped, though it was a unique idea for differentiation. Although the current set isn’t perfect, I would pretty easily take it over what they had in, say 2009.

• Like 3

On 2017-09-26 at 3:39 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

On today's episode of "I'm just gonna go ahead and say it"....

This is my all-time favorite Leafs look.

IMG_7164.JPG.ca9808daff90706c228eaad9612f8ff9.JPG

*ducks for cover*

Love this sweater ever since I discovered it looking through a historical hockey book as a kid. NHL needs more retro. 

18 minutes ago, joob said:

NHL needs more retro. 

That Leafs sweater may be "retro" now, but at the time it was a pretty radical and modern departure from the Leafs' established look. The team went back to that classic look after ditching that set, meaning if anything it's still "retro futuristic" rather than full-on "retro."

I love the Redskins' gold pants. Both at home and on the road, though especially at home.

I'm generally not a fan of dark pants in football, though the Redskins' burgundy pants are an exception. I wouldn't get rid of them, but instead just wear them a few times a year on the road.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, though - I think the Redskins' best road look is this:

was-whiteyellow-2-620x704.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

It's time. The Redskins should drop the gold pants, just like they did in the 1970s.

image.thumb.png.2459a72e7d5ada6cc9c0ed155dc914d1.png

image.thumb.png.a80aefd00542305ae88ce995b51e0360.png

White jersey/burgandy pants is good, which they've already switched back to since last season. Burgandy jersey/gold pants still looks good. The gold contrasts nicely with the burgandy. Gorgeous, unique look. White pants is too plain. The Chiefs have that boring look, but they're not going to wear yellow pants with that bright red.

• Like 2