Unpopular Opinions

On 26/09/2017 at 1:39 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

On today's episode of "I'm just gonna go ahead and say it"....

This is my all-time favorite Leafs look.

IMG_7164.JPG.ca9808daff90706c228eaad9612f8ff9.JPG

*ducks for cover*

One thing that occurred to me about this set: swap out the front crest and replace the arm-sash(?) with standard stripes and this is basically what they're wearing now.
MapleLeafs30.png MapleLeafs52.png

8 hours ago, DeFrank said:

It's time. The Redskins should drop the gold pants, just like they did in the 1970s.

Any combo except colored monochrome... they can just mix and match IMO. I don't think they have a bad look.

7 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

One thing that occurred to me about this set: swap out the front crest and replace the arm-sash(?) with standard stripes and this is basically what they're wearing now.
MapleLeafs30.png MapleLeafs52.png

I'm pretty sure changing logos and major design features will lead you to what most teams are wearing today.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Gold pants at home, burgundy on the road is the right way to go.

I personally like when teams have home and road looks. I don't know if they still do this but the Dolphins used to wear white over white at home but white over teal on the road and I can get behind something like that with the Redskins. Burgundy over yellow at home but burgundy over white on the road (or at least in Dallas).

It'd be nice if they could get all their striping on the same page though.

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Gold pants at home, burgundy on the road is the right way to go.

I agree with everyone that says the gold pants look good. I still think they should drop them. The Redskins introduced uniforms in 1970 that are very similar to the home uniform now in terms of color Shades, helmet logo, striping waist down. In 1978, they dropped gold pants and didn’t wear them again regularly till 2010.

Time for a new cycle! 2010-2017 gold pants, and a new era of just burgundy and white (plus three more Super Bowls?) for 30 years.

F1132EF7-ED9B-45DB-AE4D-0A28142E9BE4.png

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Through the first two games of the NHL season, I find myself really liking the Vegas Golden Knights. Even the name. I thought it was stupid at first, but I like "Vegas" and I like "Golden Knights." It gives the team a unique and flashy identity. Perfect for the city. 

• Like 3

1. I think playoffs in any sport are a flawed structure that rely on hype to convince people to watch them.

2. There should be no fans over 10 of the Vegas Golden Knights. If you changed to Vegas for whatever reason, I consider you disloyal and have no respect for you. There are always exceptions to this, but they are few and far between.

3. Just to make this uniform related - if I hate the team, I hate the uniform. No matter what the New York Rangers, Dallas Cowboys, Wazzu Cougars, L.A. Dodgers or any other team I dislike, come out in, I will hate it. On the flip side, if a team I like wears something I am not happy with, I'll let them know I don't like it. (Washington Huskies and any black).

Are those unpopular enough?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

1. I think playoffs in any sport are a flawed structure that rely on hype to convince people to watch them.

2. There should be no fans over 10 of the Vegas Golden Knights. If you changed to Vegas for whatever reason, I consider you disloyal and have no respect for you. There are always exceptions to this, but they are few and far between.

3. Just to make this uniform related - if I hate the team, I hate the uniform. No matter what the New York Rangers, Dallas Cowboys, Wazzu Cougars, L.A. Dodgers or any other team I dislike, come out in, I will hate it. On the flip side, if a team I like wears something I am not happy with, I'll let them know I don't like it. (Washington Huskies and any black).

Those are pretty unpopular...

1. I'm kinda with you on #1.  As leagues expand playoffs it kinda cheapens the regular season.  That said, if an NBA team with 66 games and another wins 65, is that definitive?  In that case, a best-of-seven probably makes sense to settle who's better.  Of course if one wins 66 and another wins 55 (particularly within the same conference), then you already know who's better (or, with injury, at least who had the better year).  The problem is that the playoff format has to be set in advance.  I prefer each league have a smaller playoff pool to create importance in the regular season.  But if the pool becomes too small and most teams are eliminated by mid-season, the season becomes more of a drag.  But ultimately, you are kind of right...the pre 1969 AL Champ / NL Champ was probably the best way to decide the two league champs with integrity.
  2. I think a Vegas/Nevada resident, regardless of age, has every reason to be a Golden Knights Fan.  They finally have a team there...I'd be excited. If the Knights are not your closest team geographically, then I'm with you.
  3. I hate plenty of teams with uniforms I think are great.
  • Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

1. Don't care.

2. Don't care.

3. This is one of my absolute pet-peeves of the board. "I hate the team so I hate their identity" is so senseless for a place like this. We're here to evaluate the aesthetics of sports and the inability to separate a team's look from how you feel about it is unreasonable. And here's the thing, all teams are pretty much the same once you get to know them.

Sorry. Don't take this personally. I've been waiting to uncork that for a while.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, smzimbabwe said:

See but what about the people who are just getting into the sport or the ones who finally have a local team to root for?

• Like 4

XM4KeeA.png

7 minutes ago, insert name said:

See but what about the people who are just getting into the sport or the ones who finally have a local team to root for?

I said there were exceptions, people just getting into the sport were one of them. People who switch to their local team because it's local are disloyal to their original team, and I don't like that. When MLS was founded, I became a New England Revolution fan for a myriad of reasons. When Seattle got a team, I stayed with the Revolution, I showed no disloyalty or change of heart. My friend was a Chicago Blackhawks fan, when Anaheim got a team, he chose to root for them, even over Chicago, because his mom and some family lived there. I questioned this and we had several arguments about this.

Hating a team's uniforms just because you hate the team is just being blinded by your lack of objectivity. I can't stand the Red Sox, but their uniforms are top 10 in baseball, IMO. I loathe the Devils, but their old uniforms (pre-2017) were probably the best non-Original Six uniforms in the entire NHL. And the Islanders and Flyers, neither of whom I can stand, aren't far behind.

On a site like this, it's next to impossible to have a reasonable discussion about uniform design if you can't separate out the quality of the identity from your personal feelings about the team wearing it.

As for first one, I do mostly agree about playoffs. They cheapen the regular season, which is far more indicative of who the best team is. I generally oppose large playoff fields, like the NBA and NHL, in part for that reason. It's also why I'd much prefer baseball to jettison the Wild Card Game and go back to an 8-team playoff.

That said, playoffs make for incredible entertainment and drama, and that's ultimately why we watch sports - for entertainment. The MLB and NHL playoffs are usually wild rides with incredible exciting games - we'd be losing out if we lost those playoffs. The NFL playoffs take the normal "main event" feeling of a regular season NFL game and turn it up to 11. The Super Bowl is the single best sporting event in America, and one of the best in the world. March Madness is probably the most fun tournament in Earth, and pretty much the only time that most Americans (myself included) watch college basketball.

Do they decide who is the most deserving champion? No. But once you accept that fact as a necessary trade-off for increased entertainment, playoffs really do make sense. I don't support large playoff fields, but a smaller playoff field of the best regular season teams seems like a reasonable compromise between having "deserving teams" and providing great entertainment. (Also eliminates often lopsided early rounds that are a slog to get through.)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

I said there were exceptions, people just getting into the sport were one of them. People who switch to their local team because it's local are disloyal to their original team, and I don't like that. When MLS was founded, I became a New England Revolution fan for a myriad of reasons. When Seattle got a team, I stayed with the Revolution, I showed no disloyalty or change of heart. My friend was a Chicago Blackhawks fan, when Anaheim got a team, he chose to root for them, even over Chicago, because his mom and some family lived there. I questioned this and we had several arguments about this.

So rather, you'd have people be disloyal to their hometown?

City loyalties should always reign supreme to team. 

Whatever non Buffalo teams I follow go away as soon as Buffalo gets a team. So raptors? I'll stop cheering for them as soon as buffalo gets a team, because city ties are more important than teams. Same with baseball. 

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

Do they decide who is the most deserving champion? No. But once you accept that fact as a necessary trade-off for increased entertainment, playoffs really do make sense. I don't support large playoff fields, but a smaller playoff field of the best regular season teams seems like a reasonable compromise between having "deserving teams" and providing great entertainment. (Also eliminates often lopsided early rounds that are a slog to get through.)

This has got me thinking about what methods would produce the truly best format for determining the champion. I figure it would have to involve some kind of round robin, requiring every playoff team to play one another at least twice, home and away. Because only then would every possible match-up be tested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiePerske said:

So rather, you'd have people be disloyal to their hometown?

City loyalties should always reign supreme to team. 

Whatever non Buffalo teams I follow go away as soon as Buffalo gets a team. So raptors? I'll stop cheering for them as soon as buffalo gets a team, because city ties are more important than teams. Same with baseball. 

How many of the Bills are from Buffalo? You're not rooting for hometown players, you're rooting for a corporation. Maybe if hometown teams had hometown players, I'd be more inclined to root for them.

Also, if you moved, say to Boston, would you keep your Buffalo allegiances or switch to Boston teams?

I was fortunate to grow up in a city 2000 or so miles from any pro team. It let me come up with my own criteria on who to root for.

• Like 1

Just now, smzimbabwe said:

How many of the Bills are from Buffalo? You're not rooting for hometown players, you're rooting for a corporation.

Also, if you moved, say to Boston, would you keep your Buffalo allegiances or switch to Boston teams?

I was fortunate to grow up in a city 2000 or so miles from any pro team. It let me come up with my own criteria on who to root for.

IM rooting for a team/coporation if you prefer that represents my hometown.

Im an expat Now. Lived in pittsburgh, lived in VA. Doesnt change the fact that my teams are form my city, not the one I live in but the one that's my home.

Do you have these personal ties, no.

But for those of us that do? More important than a sense of loyalty to a team is a loyalty to a city.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske