raysox

Unpopular Opinions

Recommended Posts

OnWis97    2,308
1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

I value geographic loyalty over having spent some time arbitrarily rooting for some other team. If you rooted for a team because you had no local choice, it's fair for you to switch you primary fanhood to a new, local team.

 

If you feel you really invested in a franchise and feel a part of that fanhood, feel free to stick with the team you already had, but that kinda thing doesn't work for me.

 

I'm not a big hockey guy but if Cleveland got a team (again heh) I'd swap from Columbus immediately. But I'm not really invested in any sports that don't have teams in Cleveland so it's hard to really match up the situation.

I agree. If for no other reason, you're able to go to the games.  I know that if you want to, you can watch 100% of the Flyers games from Vegas, but having a team to talk about with friends and co-workers and 41 home dates in town is valuable.  There's no right or wrong.  If you are a hard-core Flyers (random team I picked for sake of discussion) in Vegas and want to stick with them, that's cool.  But it makes total sense to cheer for the new home team.

 

I was 15 when the Timberwolves started.  I'd considered the Celtics my favorite team (though "fan" would be a strong word) because they were good and I liked green.  I was a T-Wolves fan from day 1.  And I don't see that as a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lights Out    2,230
12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

The University of Virginia did it, and it looked good!

 

59fc74c415779723a83cceb7843fd4f4.jpg 

That's the exact helmet I had in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeerGuyJordan    914
54 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I agree. If for no other reason, you're able to go to the games.  I know that if you want to, you can watch 100% of the Flyers games from Vegas, but having a team to talk about with friends and co-workers and 41 home dates in town is valuable.  There's no right or wrong.  If you are a hard-core Flyers (random team I picked for sake of discussion) in Vegas and want to stick with them, that's cool.  But it makes total sense to cheer for the new home team.

 

I was 15 when the Timberwolves started.  I'd considered the Celtics my favorite team (though "fan" would be a strong word) because they were good and I liked green.  I was a T-Wolves fan from day 1.  And I don't see that as a problem.

You see this a lot with newer franchises, and Vegas is sure to experience it. People who support the home team except when their original team comes to town. With the large number of Detroit transplants Nashville had, there were enough of them that the "Predwing" coun was termed. You'd see them rocking Nashville swag, and would never have doubted they were Preds fans. Until Detroit came to town, that is.

Most of their kids are full Preds fans, it takes a generation to build a true fanbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,308
2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

You see this a lot with newer franchises, and Vegas is sure to experience it. People who support the home team except when their original team comes to town. With the large number of Detroit transplants Nashville had, there were enough of them that the "Predwing" coun was termed. You'd see them rocking Nashville swag, and would never have doubted they were Preds fans. Until Detroit came to town, that is.

Most of their kids are full Preds fans, it takes a generation to build a true fanbase.

Interesting.  I'm trying to recall whether that was going on with either the Timberwolves or the Wild.  I was not back in the Twin Cities until 2008, so my I don't have a ton of insight on the Wild. The Wild were probably a bit different, anyway, since we were seven years removed from having the NHL...probably less likely for hard-core fanships to be built.

 

I don't really recall a lot of people sticking with any old teams when the Wolves started.  That first year, I went to a handful of games (including Bulls, Lakers, Celtics) and it seemed like a partisan Wolves crowd.  I mean, yeah, go to any arena and you'll see opposing Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, etc. (depending on year, of course) jerseys but my sense, and I can't prove it...it's all anecdotal, is that the Wolves were pretty much "the" team from Day 1.  Another small twist is that we had a Big Ten team in town...I come from a family of college hoops fans and this may have limited the interest in following an out-of-town NBA team.  And, of course, the access to out-of-town teams was minimal in the 1980s and perhaps this is a key variable in comparing the Wolves and the "Predwings."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeerGuyJordan    914
24 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Interesting.  I'm trying to recall whether that was going on with either the Timberwolves or the Wild.  I was not back in the Twin Cities until 2008, so my I don't have a ton of insight on the Wild. The Wild were probably a bit different, anyway, since we were seven years removed from having the NHL...probably less likely for hard-core fanships to be built.

 

I don't really recall a lot of people sticking with any old teams when the Wolves started.  That first year, I went to a handful of games (including Bulls, Lakers, Celtics) and it seemed like a partisan Wolves crowd.  I mean, yeah, go to any arena and you'll see opposing Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, etc. (depending on year, of course) jerseys but my sense, and I can't prove it...it's all anecdotal is that the Wolves were pretty much "the" team from Day 1.  Another small twist is that we had a Big Ten team in town...I come from a family of college hoops fans and this may have limited the interest in following an out-of-town NBA team.  And, of course, the access to them was minimal in the 1980s and perhaps this is a key variable in comparing the Wolves and the "Predwings."

I can't really speak to the T-Wolves, but the Wild would be the one exception. Their version was probably just a ton of North Stars stuff in the stands, for the first couple of seasons. They already had a built in hometown fanbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TerrorDog13    0

I really think that the new Avs jerseys look cheap and are a down grade. Never been an Avs fan as i am from Detroit and huge Wings fan, but id much rather see any jersey from before this one. Looks cheap, easy and the grey edging is way too thick. needs a black or navy to break it up like on the originals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smzimbabwe    111
9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Unpopular opinion alert: sports teams aren't deserving of my "loyalty" any more than my gas station or grocery store. Just do whatever makes you feel good. Life is too short to be bound by a nebulous, one-way loyalty agreement with a business.

 

I feel a loyalty towards ARCO because they sponsored my soccer team in 5th grade. I don't go out of my way for one, but if I have a choice between ARCO and another gas station and the price isn't that big a difference, I'll hit the ARCO every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cosmic    2,554
15 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

 

I feel a loyalty towards ARCO because they sponsored my soccer team in 5th grade. I don't go out of my way for one, but if I have a choice between ARCO and another gas station and the price isn't that big a difference, I'll hit the ARCO every time.

I would go across the street from my own grandmother's gas station to save a penny per gallon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BJ Sands    923
9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Unpopular opinion alert: sports teams aren't deserving of my "loyalty" any more than my gas station or grocery store. Just do whatever makes you feel good. Life is too short to be bound by a nebulous, one-way loyalty agreement with a business.

I totally get this, but in the same vein I think it's weird when somebody from Philly ends up a Tigers fan and misses out on one of the fundamental parts of fandom. For better or worse, sports teams unite cities, states and even regions. When the Cubs won, it felt like the whole city won something and it came together to celebrate and bask.

 

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink, rather than somebody from Philly becoming a Tigers fan because they were good.

 

Jeez, I thought I was more cynical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,308
2 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I totally get this, but in the same vein I think it's weird when somebody from Philly ends up a Tigers fan and misses out on one of the fundamental parts of fandom. For better or worse, sports teams unite cities, states and even regions. When the Cubs won, it felt like the whole city won something and it came together to celebrate and bask.

 

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink, rather than somebody from Philly becoming a Tigers fan because they were good.

 

Jeez, I thought I was more cynical.

Yeah, you're getting into the cheesy, but it's true.  In 1987 and 1991, there was just a "buzz" around the Twin Cities. That has happened around some other playoff runs out of our teams as well.  When the Twins went back to the playoffs in 2002, I was living in Illinois and as glad as I was they were back in, I lost out on the camaraderie.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the admiral    10,632
5 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink

 

What if -- and this is completely simply for the sake of argument here -- someone dropped a bad local football team in favor of an even worse football team because it seemed funny at the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BJ Sands    923
49 minutes ago, the admiral said:

 

What if -- and this is completely simply for the sake of argument here -- someone dropped a bad local football team in favor of an even worse football team because it seemed funny at the time?

Then I'd admire their fatalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Discrimihater    313
21 hours ago, Quillz said:

This has got me thinking about what methods would produce the truly best format for determining the champion. I figure it would have to involve some kind of round robin, requiring every playoff team to play one another at least twice, home and away. Because only then would every possible match-up be tested.

I recall reading an NBA almanac years ago, and one year, they tried a round robin.  Just checked Wikipedia and it was 1954, the first round was a double round robin.

I think something like what the Filipino basketball league does would be workable.  Granted, their seasons are split in three, each with it's own playoffs, but anyway, the top two seeds, in a best of 3, get a free win for all intents and purposes.  Meaning they only have to win one game to advance, while their opponent needs to win twice.

People would moan about there being less basketball, but the NBA be playoffs drag on seemingly forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quillz    258

I actually am a big fan of the Nationals uniforms. No idea how unpopular that might be.

 

Specifically, the front jersey numbers. I think the placement is good. I used to think the Reds had it right, putting the number directly opposite of the logo, but the more I look at the Nats, the more I don't feel like the numbers are too low anymore. They seem right. But I think it has to do with the Nats using a very blocky number font (which I also quite like), so it aesthetically seems to work well lower down the jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Lankford    444

I think the amout of dark blue in baseball is fine, as long as the teams play up their secondary color. The Indians, Red Sox and Astros are good because they emphasize red and orange (or at least they do at home) but teams like the Rays and Brewers, who don't, and the Padres, who don't even have a secondary color, are giving everyone else a bad name. Even all the dark blue hats are fine and mostly because an orange hat doesn't really go with anything in real life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,308
41 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

I think the amout of dark blue in baseball is fine, as long as the teams play up their secondary color. The Indians, Red Sox and Astros are good because they emphasize red and orange (or at least they do at home) but teams like the Rays and Brewers, who don't, and the Padres, who don't even have a secondary color, are giving everyone else a bad name. Even all the dark blue hats are fine and mostly because an orange hat doesn't really go with anything in real life. 

I think it's OK, too.  Baseball is a sport built on tradition been around a long time for a lot of teams.  I don't expect teams that have had the colors since before 1960s expansion to change.  Specifically blue and red, which teams like Cleveland, Minnesota, Boston, etc. have had for a long time.

 

Actually, dark blue with other colors still adds variety in my opinions.  The Rays and Astros (and even the Brewers and Padres*) don't create a lack of variety in my opinion.  Blue and red is the only scheme really flirting with that problem, but like I said, those teams have had those colors forever.  Now, if a new team went blue and red, that would bother me...or that rumored (a few years ago) Padres change to blue and red to match the Ted Williams minor league Padres.  That would be a travesty.

 

*The Brewers and Padres bug me in vacuums...not so much because they detract from variety (they don't) but because the Brewers went so drab (and who would really want them to highlight that gold more?) and the Padres because they were unique and had a very "Padres" brand and chose, as the fifth most recognized team in their own state, to totally blend in.

 

I don't think that blue needed to be off limits for the Rays just because they are new (blue and red? that would have been another story) and their light blue trim is different and nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leopard88    1,025
On 10/4/2017 at 10:38 PM, DeFrank said:

It's time. The Redskins should drop the gold pants, just like they did in the 1970s.

 

image.thumb.png.2459a72e7d5ada6cc9c0ed155dc914d1.png

 

 

On 10/4/2017 at 11:52 PM, SFGiants58 said:

 

This look would go from a nine to a solid ten if the players all wore their socks the correct way up (matching the sleeve stripes).

 

How have I never noticed this before?  Now I'm going to spend every Redskins game when they wear those socks looking at the stripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SFGiants58    2,067
1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I prefer this Panthers set as a primary rather than an alternate uniform.  In a division with so much black (Saints, Falcons, Panthers) the electric blue really breaks it up.

 

Carolina-Panthers-2012-2013-Blue-Alterna

 

I like them too. Count me in as somebody who thinks the Panthers have some of the best uniforms in the NFL. However, they should drop the redundant white pants.

 

eewyAEH.jpg

 

Silver looked good with the white jerseys the one time they did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmac11281    1,130
On 10/11/2017 at 4:02 PM, BJ Sands said:

I totally get this, but in the same vein I think it's weird when somebody from Philly ends up a Tigers fan and misses out on one of the fundamental parts of fandom. For better or worse, sports teams unite cities, states and even regions. When the Cubs won, it felt like the whole city won something and it came together to celebrate and bask.

 

I'd look less askew at somebody if they said they were from Philly but dropped the Phils because they stink, rather than somebody from Philly becoming a Tigers fan because they were good.

 

Jeez, I thought I was more cynical.

I am from the Philadelphia area and I have never really felt a connection with the Eagles. I can watch their games in a objective manner, and not care one bit if they win or lose. I agree to a certain degree about your Cubs example and how that unites a city. However, if the Eagles win a Superbowl, I just won't feel any kind of excitement. So, I think that most people would feel a sense of unity, I cannot say that I would feel the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now