Unpopular Opinions

Here's another unpopular Patriots opinion:

It was stupid for them to ever wear red and it would be just as stupid for them to bring back red for anything other than a rare throwback. Anybody with a grasp of history knows the patriots were fighting the redcoats, and the Patriots wearing red went completely against that.

• Like 7

On 2/27/2018 at 1:10 AM, rxmc89 said:

Navy makes more sense for the Patriots, plus I like it better anyway.

t1larg.revolutionary-war-reinactment.t1l

I understand your point, but I'm not convinced that the Patriots have to match these colors.  The original blue and silver uniforms were nice and bright, and looked good.

Navy is bettered paired with white and red with no silver IMO.  There's a great faux back concept out there somewhere that combines the style of the old red jerseys with UCLA stripes.  It replaces the red with navy and Pat Patriot is replaced by Elvis.  It's very clean and sharp.

Navy needs help from the right use of supporting colors to make for a good uniform.  IMO, neither The Patriots nor The Chargers have found that right use with their current uniforms.

• Like 2

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

really boring "practice jersey" looking football uniforms are my favorite.

an Alabama jersey is just crimson jersey with white numbers, and overall, when paired with the helmet and pants, is a powerful uniform.

an Oakland jersey is just black, with silver numbers... but with the helmet and pants, it's effective.

the Cardinals looked best in just red jerseys with white numbers.

in most sports, the jersey itself has to do the heavily lifting of visual appeal, and you can't get by with just a solid color garment... but the football uniform usually has an interested helmet and pants with stripes... and i just think the best way to deal with disappearing real estate on the sleeves is just keep it obsessively simple.

i'd be fine with the titans just wearing columbia blue jerseys with white numbers, outlined in navy or red, with a unique or bold number font. no need to re-invent the wheel for most teams.

• Like 6

On 2/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, Quillz said:

I agree. Pat Patriot is fine as a secondary logo for merchandise, but doesn't work well as an actual sports logo. However, I also think the brighter colors the Patriots used, circa 1993-1999, were better. Seems they, along with several other teams, used darker colors with the onset of the new millennium. But with some teams starting to go back to brighter colors (such as Kelly green), I wouldn't mind the Patriots do the same.

tfj1deqds0ryxeaz9hjq2gkeg.pngy71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.png

Granted, was not a fan of that era's jersey, especially with the fake pinstripes.

Who has gone back to Kelly green full-time aside from the Dallas Stars?

This road uni is far better than what the Cubs wear today, and probably the best (or maybe Top 3) the Cubs have worn all time. I think my only critique is it only needed one sleeve patch, and though the Cubs patch looks nice, the 80s/90s bear patch was probably a better choice and synced with the home jersey:

GettyImages-453023734.0.jpg:

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

This road uni is far better than what the Cubs wear today, and probably the best (or maybe Top 3) the Cubs have worn all time. I think my only critique is it only needed one sleeve patch, and though the Cubs patch looks nice, the 80s/90s bear patch was probably a better choice and synced with the home jersey:

GettyImages-453023734.0.jpg:

That uniform looks better than I remembered.  Didn't they have a different patch on each sleeve.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Don't know if this is unpopular or not, but...

this:

Rapids-laydown-kit-image.jpg

is better than this:

1242345.png

That's a slam dunk.  You are right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rj0498 said:

I actually like these more than the showtime unis.

Image result for los angeles lakers 2005

Image result for los angeles lakers 2005

Is this really that unpopular? Other than the prestige of the Showtime era, those jerseys really did have some flaws (and things that just haven't held up well). Like that "orphaned" S in the wordmark, the overly heavy drop shadows on the numbers, etc. Granted, I have never cared for the away jersey's reversed wordmark and number colors, especially since gold does not contrast well against purple at all.

The drop shadows, the side panels that stopped at the shorts, and even the wonky S gave the Lakers some much-needed human charm. The white Lakers jersey is quirkless and thus bad.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫