raysox

Unpopular Opinions

Recommended Posts

On 2/15/2018 at 3:54 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

Flying Elvis is a far better logo than Pat Patriot. It's sleek and clean, while Pat's far too detailed to effectively work as a football logo. I have the same issue with the pre-1996 Eagles logo.

I agree. Pat Patriot is fine as a secondary logo for merchandise, but doesn't work well as an actual sports logo. However, I also think the brighter colors the Patriots used, circa 1993-1999, were better. Seems they, along with several other teams, used darker colors with the onset of the new millennium. But with some teams starting to go back to brighter colors (such as Kelly green), I wouldn't mind the Patriots do the same.

 

tfj1deqds0ryxeaz9hjq2gkeg.pngy71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.png

 

Granted, was not a fan of that era's jersey, especially with the fake pinstripes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Granted, was not a fan of that era's jersey, especially with the fake pinstripes.

 

what are you talking about those jerseys were fantastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

 

what are you talking about those jerseys were fantastic

what are you talking about those jerseys were awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mf5mixgc3gfyhve1pe8ax3gci.gif

rfvtdop0zlrtykyg9bi8a9pd2.gif

 

I gotta be honest, I really like these Jersey's more. Especially the road version. (as well as the lighter Blue Flying Elvis)

The "pinstripes" really aren't that noticeable unless you really look at them. 

 

IDK why they've never once used these as some kind of throwback. It's the only ones they could get away with with that dumb helmet rule now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monochrome football uniforms are not bad, they are just frequently executed poorly by bad striping and poor sock selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

mf5mixgc3gfyhve1pe8ax3gci.gif

rfvtdop0zlrtykyg9bi8a9pd2.gif

 

I gotta be honest, I really like these Jersey's more. Especially the road version. (as well as the lighter Blue Flying Elvis)

The "pinstripes" really aren't that noticeable unless you really look at them. 

 

IDK why they've never once used these as some kind of throwback. It's the only ones they could get away with with that dumb helmet rule now. 

I think what bothers me the most about these are the numbers. I just hate that font, at least the italic. The numbers the Patriots use now are really good, and could easily be recolored for a modern variant of this  uniform style. I guess I should restate my opinion, it's really not all that bad. I think I disliked the pinstripes more because it reminds me of a soccer team than me actually not liking them in terms of design.

 

As to why the Patriots don't revive them for a throwback, no idea. Maybe because the lone Super Bowl run aside, the Patriots just weren't that great of a franchise during that era. Or maybe Kraft just really hates them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I think what bothers me the most about these are the numbers. I just hate that font, at least the italic. The numbers the Patriots use now are really good, and could easily be recolored for a modern variant of this  uniform style. I guess I should restate my opinion, it's really not all that bad. I think I disliked the pinstripes more because it reminds me of a soccer team than me actually not liking them in terms of design.

 

As to why the Patriots don't revive them for a throwback, no idea. Maybe because the lone Super Bowl run aside, the Patriots just weren't that great of a franchise during that era. Or maybe Kraft just really hates them.

Funny, That's actually what I like about them (that and the giant Flying Elvis on the shoulders).

I admit I'm a bit of a sucker for that cheesy, 90's "3D" effect. Plus I think the Colors of the numbers compliment each other so well. Red on Blue for the road Jersey, and White on Red for the Home Jersey. 

As far as those "soccer stripes", like I said, I never found them that noticeable unless they got really close.  

It's weird because I usually hate the white road jersey for most teams, but this Patriots one is honestly one of my favorite sports jerseys. Of course naturally that means they're impossible to find, and the only one I don't have in my collection<_<.  Just one more reason I'd love to see them make a comeback. Maybe 2020 for NFL 100 or The Patriots 60th? 

The Pats were better in that era than they were in the Red "Pat Patriots" uniforms, Maybe Kraft just doesn't think they'd be as popular as the Red ones. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quillz said:

I agree. Pat Patriot is fine as a secondary logo for merchandise, but doesn't work well as an actual sports logo. However, I also think the brighter colors the Patriots used, circa 1993-1999, were better. Seems they, along with several other teams, used darker colors with the onset of the new millennium. But with some teams starting to go back to brighter colors (such as Kelly green), I wouldn't mind the Patriots do the same.

 

tfj1deqds0ryxeaz9hjq2gkeg.pngy71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.png

 

Granted, was not a fan of that era's jersey, especially with the fake pinstripes.

 

Navy makes more sense for the Patriots, plus I like it better anyway.

 

t1larg.revolutionary-war-reinactment.t1l

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Quillz said:

I agree. Pat Patriot is fine as a secondary logo for merchandise, but doesn't work well as an actual sports logo. However, I also think the brighter colors the Patriots used, circa 1993-1999, were better. Seems they, along with several other teams, used darker colors with the onset of the new millennium. But with some teams starting to go back to brighter colors (such as Kelly green), I wouldn't mind the Patriots do the same.

 

tfj1deqds0ryxeaz9hjq2gkeg.pngy71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.png

 

Granted, was not a fan of that era's jersey, especially with the fake pinstripes.

 

Side by side the navy version looks SO much better.

 

The only problem with the Pats identity is their messy uniforms that are really dated but also haven't changed since the franchise became immaculate. Pretty unfortunate since they have beautiful throwbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Quillz said:

Maybe because the lone Super Bowl run aside, the Patriots just weren't that great of a franchise during that era. Or maybe Kraft just really hates them.

 

Well they weren't awful, either.  3 playoff teams in five years is success a lot of teams would like.

 

I'd be happy if the Pats brought back the pants stripes from the 94-99 years (includes the second Apex set) and put them on the current set (navy instead of royal, of course) and took off the piping, and changed the socks.  

 

No piping and those stripes look great. (The royal blue always looked great in cold weather games, too).

 

temp20130401-woody-draft.jpg?itok=yU_yGV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another unpopular Patriots opinion:

 

It was stupid for them to ever wear red and it would be just as stupid for them to bring back red for anything other than a rare throwback. Anybody with a grasp of history knows the patriots were fighting the redcoats, and the Patriots wearing red went completely against that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2017 Gold Cup kits for the US should have been the new designated home designs, or should have made more than a tournament appearancenike-to-release-no-replica-usa-2017-gold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind the Sens post-2007 logos. They're not perfect, but they aren't as terrible as fans make it out to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2018 at 6:14 PM, anythinglogos said:

Still the best looking uniform the 49ers have ever worn

 

I loved the white-on-white look and I like that it might return in 2018:

 

Steve-Young_San_Fransisco_49ers-15.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2018 at 1:10 AM, rxmc89 said:

 

Navy makes more sense for the Patriots, plus I like it better anyway.

 

t1larg.revolutionary-war-reinactment.t1l

 

I understand your point, but I'm not convinced that the Patriots have to match these colors.  The original blue and silver uniforms were nice and bright, and looked good.

 

Navy is bettered paired with white and red with no silver IMO.  There's a great faux back concept out there somewhere that combines the style of the old red jerseys with UCLA stripes.  It replaces the red with navy and Pat Patriot is replaced by Elvis.  It's very clean and sharp.

 

Navy needs help from the right use of supporting colors to make for a good uniform.  IMO, neither The Patriots nor The Chargers have found that right use with their current uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really boring "practice jersey" looking football uniforms are my favorite.

 

an Alabama jersey is just crimson jersey with white numbers, and overall, when paired with the helmet and pants, is a powerful uniform.

an Oakland jersey is just black, with silver numbers... but with the helmet and pants, it's effective.

the Cardinals looked best in just red jerseys with white numbers.

 

in most sports, the jersey itself has to do the heavily lifting of visual appeal, and you can't get by with just a solid color garment... but the football uniform usually has an interested helmet and pants with stripes... and i just think the best way to deal with disappearing real estate on the sleeves is just keep it obsessively simple.

 

i'd be fine with the titans just wearing columbia blue jerseys with white numbers, outlined in navy or red, with a unique or bold number font. no need to re-invent the wheel for most teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the best Orlando Magic uniforms

 

camiseta-nba-orlando-magic-1-tracy-mcgra

 

150924144622-20150924-tracy-mcgrady-top-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, Quillz said:

I agree. Pat Patriot is fine as a secondary logo for merchandise, but doesn't work well as an actual sports logo. However, I also think the brighter colors the Patriots used, circa 1993-1999, were better. Seems they, along with several other teams, used darker colors with the onset of the new millennium. But with some teams starting to go back to brighter colors (such as Kelly green), I wouldn't mind the Patriots do the same.

 

tfj1deqds0ryxeaz9hjq2gkeg.pngy71myf8mlwlk8lbgagh3fd5e0.png

 

Granted, was not a fan of that era's jersey, especially with the fake pinstripes.

Who has gone back to Kelly green full-time aside from the Dallas Stars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now