Unpopular Opinions

2 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

Just because the current set is a trainwreck doesn't mean we have to give this uniform all the love in the world:

zkg4h2hggw9xh464ghcfke4r2.gif

The colors are dull and outdated (from an era where it seemed like everyone had to tone down colors and used the blandest shade they could find).

It's like if the Anaheim Ducks made the switch from their 2007 Stanley Cup uniforms to something much more horrendous, and everyone clamoring for the old look and claiming it's the best they've ever looked.

"I'm going to wake up today and announce the most unpopular opinion in the entire world".:D

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

27 minutes ago, Ark said:

I love these uniforms

4c5e5ee78a07c6af90a8a2fd3035c154.jpg

8E5xf3h.jpg

You know, I just love the outlandishness of the design. The big logos, big stripes, and sublimated mesh on their own would be bad, but they look so oddly perfect together. It’s also nice to see red with such prominence in the design, justifying the red facemask. The NASCAR numbers I could do without, but the idea to use drop shadows was an inspired one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

Just because the current set is a trainwreck doesn't mean we have to give this uniform all the love in the world:

zkg4h2hggw9xh464ghcfke4r2.gif

The colors are dull and outdated (from an era where it seemed like everyone had to tone down colors and used the blandest shade they could find).

It's like if the Anaheim Ducks made the switch from their 2007 Stanley Cup uniforms to something much more horrendous, and everyone clamoring for the old look and claiming it's the best they've ever looked.

I don't like it when teams just have logos on sleeve and the old pewter was ugly, so I agree. But I also go even further to LIKING the current look.

Other than the numbers the new set is an upgrade IMO, which I've posted before. The larger logo is awesome, all the logos are improved, and the pants stripes are cool rather than boring. Chrome facemask is pointless but facemasks are one of those details that people go nuts about that I don't care about at all (for instance, the Browns have been white, gray, and brown and I've liked them all).

I also don't mind the Jags current look. It's maybe my favorite look of theirs but they need to balance their colors better and get rid of the stupid helmet (that's the only egregious part of the look, which I totally get hating relentlessly). I wish they focused on their "teal" like many others. Also, the JAGS shield is awesome. Shields are great (ironically, not a fan of the Cavs shield, but that's because of the use of black).

• Like 3

On 3/26/2018 at 2:09 PM, daveindc said:

I wouldn't mind if the Dodgers adopted blue alts for the regular season.

I really respect the Dodgers for keeping it simple and classy but I just cannot understand why they don't wear this jersey during the regular season. It's beautiful, and I think that if they only wore it a few times year at the most, it would be the perfect alternate. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I really respect the Dodgers for keeping it simple and classy but I just cannot understand why they don't wear this jersey during the regular season. It's beautiful, and I think that if they only wore it a few times year at the most, it would be the perfect alternate. 

It's basically a color version of their regular jersey, which is the best kind of color alt. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It's really nice but you gotta especially respect it because it prevents the slippery slope of over-wearing the alt as many teams do.

Tacky, busy, and just plain stupid:
USATSI_10605331_168384652_lowres.jpg
os-sp-orlando-magic-trade-deadline-0208

How are these popular, especially around here? I just don't get it. A lot of those crazy bad uniforms from the 90s look tame compared to these. (Actually, that might answer my question - stupid 90s stuff is in right now. :P)

7 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

It's really nice but you gotta especially respect it because it prevents the slippery slope of over-wearing the alt as many teams do.

Heck, they already do that with their “alternate” road jerseys.

57 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

How are these popular, especially around here? I just don't get it. A lot of those crazy bad uniforms from the 90s look tame compared to these. (Actually, that might answer my question - stupid 90s stuff is in right now. :P)

Orlando, yes. 

Utah, no. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 hour ago, mcj882000 said:

I know I shouldn't, but I really like both of those.:o

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I’d rather them wear this than the gray “Dodgers” jersey if they have to have an alternate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

I was thinking about it. I love the concept of it, but on court they look like a mess. If they went with solid red it'd look better.

4 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Okay, unpopular opinion: I grew up during the 90s, and I hate the retro 90s trend going on right now. Fashion was never tackier than in the 90s, and sports uniforms epitomized that.

Leave the 90s nostalgia for TV shows and WWF ice cream sandwiches. Keep it out of sports uniforms, please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

Okay, unpopular opinion: I grew up during the 90s, and I hate the retro 90s trend going on right now. Fashion was never tackier than in the 90s, and sports uniforms epitomized that.

Leave the 90s nostalgia for TV shows and WWF ice cream sandwiches. Keep it out of sports uniforms, please.

Yeah, most of the uniforms that came out in the 90s I either loathe or like ironically, meaning I like it because it's stupid but never wanna see it actually come back ever again, except maybe as an April Fools' Day stunt. :P

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kroywen said:

Hey! There was some good fashion that decade. Flannel's comeback was nice, and some of the bagginess was OK (just as a reaction to 1980s tightness - all fashion trends are reactions to the ones that preceded them). However, the bad trends of the decade just wound up looking exceptionally garish in the modern period:

bd55d9cfbc859ce8067f21a445515c56.jpg  cool-as-ice-3.png photo-fight-band-rob-halford-solo_20120816_1305730290.jpg

A lot of ill-fitting colors, excessive bagginess, and the overuse of graphics really looks nasty in retrospect. Some of it was a reaction to the 1980s or the early-1990s, while some of it was pushing burgeoning graphics software too far. Just because Adobe Illustrator 5 or 6.1 let you use gradients and cool text features doesn't mean that it was a good idea to throw it all together. The same went for uniforms of the time. Some of it turned out well, while some of it was wacky experimentation with new tools.

For every tasteful design, you got a terrible one to go with it:

72522536_display_image.jpg?1325889999 QMKj8t6.jpg

Speaking of the above images, unpopular opinion is that I have a soft spot for the 1998-2007 Sharks' uniforms. While I have no illusions about their poor quality or the baggy tailoring, I can't help but love the wacky elements coming together. I know they're garish, but I like them more than anything the Sharks have done post-2007 with those dull colors.

• Like 1