Unpopular Opinions

I've probably got quite a few, but I'll limit it to just this one for now:rolleyes:

This:

J740Uzu.jpgZqEMNGe.jpg

Is a great football uniform. All the stripes are consistent and the colors work well together and are balanced throughout the whole uniform. Don't get me wrong, I think the recent update was great and looks better, but there was nothing wrong with this that absolutely needed fixed. Being completely honest, what was wrong other than "TOO MUCH NAVY!!!1!1!!"? If Miami hadn't had their history and was an expansion team with these uniforms, I'd bet a vast majority of people on here would call them a modern classic, but because they had other looks that were better these were immediately labeled as a "horrific mess, bottom third of the league." Yes, I understand a team's uni history is a big deal, but these were nowhere near being in the bottom third of the entire NFL.

Oh, and this logo?

FuU4Jb0.jpg

Godawful. The weird highlights/shading makes it look like a dolphin that washed up on the beach and dried up in the sun so a drunk frat guy put a football helmet on it to be funny. The new one is MILES better.

Okay, that's the end of my rant. Did I cross some line and get myself banned?:rolleyes: It is the unpopular opinions thread though

• Like 12

Those uniforms could have worked with the navy trim if the orange outlines on the numbers/stripes were thicker. As it stands, though, the orange trim disappeared because it was too thin to really contrast enough with the navy outlines. Given how simple and minimal those uniforms were, they couldn't afford to screw up the color distribution to the degree they did. The new update is a big improvement just because they finally fixed that issue.

I do agree with you about the vintage logo. I'll never understand why people like it so much. To me, the dolphin looks old and wrinkly.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

Just to add on to this, I absolutely love the newer Dolphin logo. It looks so streamlined and clean, I don’t see the appeal of returning to the helmet dolphin, beyond nostalgia. 

I do too.  Admittedly, a lot of it is about my bias against campy logos and my love of silhouette-like logos (Iowa, Texas, Detroit Lions), but I am a huge fan.

And I don't understand the calls to go back to the old logos where 1) the dolphin looks like it's been run through a photo-copiers hundreds of times and 2) it's got those six tiny line between each sun "ray."

When they go back to the dolphin wearing a helmet, I really hope they don't go all the way back.  Make a dolphin that does not look like a blob and use a sun much more like the current one.  I think the two different-sized rays help a great deal.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I have a soft spot for these weird football uniforms with the upside-down unbalanced look;

0000311716.jpg

1425a6a092d205ef9d16b980eedd02ed.jpgcrump.jpg

joe_beauchamp_1970_10_04.jpg

sd+buf+9_23_73b.jpg

To me, it only works if the pants are a light color... gray, silver, gold... when the Titans wore light blue jerseys and dark blue pants, it looked like trash.

It also only works because it's unique... if it became prevalent, I'd hate it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jn8 said:

Godawful. The weird highlights/shading makes it look like a dolphin that washed up on the beach and dried up in the sun so a drunk frat guy put a football helmet on it to be funny. The new one is MILES better.

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

do agree with you about the vintage logo. I'll never understand why people like it so much. To me, the dolphin looks old and wrinkly.

One reason people (myself included) like the old Dolphins logo is because it looks dated and kitschy- it looks very "of the time and place" the team was created. Like...there's just something so perfectly late 60s/early 70s South Florida about it. Like you'd see it on a sign for some roadside attraction that littered the state at the time.

Another reason, which is really tied in with the above one, is that it's whimsical. It's a dolphin wearing a football helmet. It's the sort of design you don't see anymore, where everything has to be a perfectly rendered cartoon snarling animal. Here? It's just a drawing of a dolphin wearing a football helmet. It's reflective of a sort of "lost attitude" when it comes to sports logo design.

The final reason? A lot of people just don't care for the new logo. It's so wispy and bland. I've heard it described as a cruise ship logo, a travel agency logo, and a retirement home logo. It has a very corporate feel to it that just doesn't seem "right" for a football team. Maybe that's by design, it doesn't change things much. Either way? The poor reception it's gotten makes even imperfect previous logos seem palatable by comparison.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I have a soft spot for these weird football uniforms with the upside-down unbalanced look;

0000311716.jpg

1425a6a092d205ef9d16b980eedd02ed.jpgcrump.jpg

joe_beauchamp_1970_10_04.jpg

sd+buf+9_23_73b.jpg

To me, it only works if the pants are a light color... gray, silver, gold... when the Titans wore light blue jerseys and dark blue pants, it looked like trash.

It also only works because it's unique... if it became prevalent, I'd hate it.

It only works for me when the jersey is really dark like Wyoming. I'm not crazy about the Chargers and Breakers uniforms.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

One reason people (myself included) like the old Dolphins logo is because it looks dated and kitschy- it looks very "of the time and place" the team was created. Like...there's just something so perfectly late 60s/early 70s South Florida about it. Like you'd see it on a sign for some roadside attraction that littered the state at the time.

Another reason, which is really tied in with the above one, is that it's whimsical. It's a dolphin wearing a football helmet. It's the sort of design you don't see anymore, where everything has to be a perfectly rendered cartoon snarling animal. Here? It's just a drawing of a dolphin wearing a football helmet. It's reflective of a sort of "lost attitude" when it comes to sports logo design.

The final reason? A lot of people just don't care for the new logo. It's so wispy and bland. I've heard it described as a cruise ship logo, a travel agency logo, and a retirement home logo. It has a very corporate feel to it that just doesn't seem "right" for a football team. Maybe that's by design, it doesn't change things much. Either way? The poor reception it's gotten makes even imperfect previous logos seem palatable by comparison.

I can see your perspective. I don't tend to think that "dated and kitschy" is the right tone for a sports brand, but to each their own.

I like the Dolphins' current logo. To me, it looks classy, professional and dignified, whereas the old logos just looked like cartoons (especially the late-'90s/2000s version).

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I definitely think you're right that each Dolphins logo feels "of its time," and that's a lot of what is appealing about them. I just view this newest logo as a natural progression of that into modern branding, while still retaining a lot of the familiar elements of the original logo.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

White wordmarks in baseball are underrated:

usatsi-10180903-christian-yelich-marlins

cut.jpg

Cleveland's "The Land" jersey also counts:

1_142-e1521916518440.jpg

The baseball jerseys look good, but the "The Land" set is completely terrible. The gray is too light and the border around the numbers/wordmark is too thin. Plus, there's nothing about it that meshes with any other aspect of the Cavs' identity.

• Like 6
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

These are my personal favourite Orlando Magic set:

Francis.jpg

xin_0511011312182462300220.jpg

I know that the team is known for pinstripes, but the font used as well as the collar with the star made this set look really nice. Every other Magic look has either been too busy, had that horrible 90's wordmark or is the current mess they wear. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 4/26/2018 at 5:21 PM, Lights Out said:

I can see your perspective. I don't tend to think that "dated and kitschy" is the right tone for a sports brand, but to each their own.

I like the Dolphins' current logo. To me, it looks classy, professional and dignified, whereas the old logos just looked like cartoons (especially the late-'90s/2000s version).

I still can't get over the fact that the new one doesn't have a face. Poor guy.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:44 AM, OnWis97 said:

I agree that full incorporation of yellow (i.e., into the homes and roads) would have helped quiet the noise around brown.  At least they'd have done something  to set themselves apart.  

That temporary uniform was nice.  And assuming the Brewers don't go back to their old scheme, this would give them an identity beyond "blending in."

I'm not really a fan of the S and D on the hat being two different colors (did not like that in the orange and blue era) but that jersey was sharp and there would have been a great opportunity for a nice-looking blue alternate.  

I want brown and orange.  I'd settle for brown and yellow.  But I could deal with this.  It's a nice look and there is room for this color scheeme, which is sadly missing from MLB.

This reminds me of another unpopular opinion I have (and share with OnWis): I like brown and orange better than brown and yellow for the Padres...or any other team really.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2018 at 8:57 AM, mafiaman said:

I loved this logo on all of my Fleer, Donruss, and Topps cards in the 1970's...now I can't unsee Mel Gibson the pirate.

I'm trying to think of a way to combine pirate talk with Mel's famous bigoted DUI rant in a way that won't get me in trouble here...