raysox

Unpopular Opinions

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

One reason people (myself included) like the old Dolphins logo is because it looks dated and kitschy- it looks very "of the time and place" the team was created. Like...there's just something so perfectly late 60s/early 70s South Florida about it. Like you'd see it on a sign for some roadside attraction that littered the state at the time.

I definitely think you're right that each Dolphins logo feels "of its time," and that's a lot of what is appealing about them. I just view this newest logo as a natural progression of that into modern branding, while still retaining a lot of the familiar elements of the original logo.

4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

White wordmarks in baseball are underrated:

usatsi-10180903-christian-yelich-marlins

cut.jpg

Cleveland's "The Land" jersey also counts:

1_142-e1521916518440.jpg

The baseball jerseys look good, but the "The Land" set is completely terrible. The gray is too light and the border around the numbers/wordmark is too thin. Plus, there's nothing about it that meshes with any other aspect of the Cavs' identity.

as far as the Dolphins, I was more partial to the 97 version...same look, much less blob-like.

These are my personal favourite Orlando Magic set:

Francis.jpg

xin_0511011312182462300220.jpg

I know that the team is known for pinstripes, but the font used as well as the collar with the star made this set look really nice. Every other Magic look has either been too busy, had that horrible 90's wordmark or is the current mess they wear. 

I liked these. They would've been better as an alternate, but I like name-over-number treatments on hockey jerseys for some reason.

Related image

On 4/26/2018 at 5:21 PM, Lights Out said:

I can see your perspective. I don't tend to think that "dated and kitschy" is the right tone for a sports brand, but to each their own.

I like the Dolphins' current logo. To me, it looks classy, professional and dignified, whereas the old logos just looked like cartoons (especially the late-'90s/2000s version).

I still can't get over the fact that the new one doesn't have a face. Poor guy.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:44 AM, OnWis97 said:

I agree that full incorporation of yellow (i.e., into the homes and roads) would have helped quiet the noise around brown.  At least they'd have done something  to set themselves apart.  

That temporary uniform was nice.  And assuming the Brewers don't go back to their old scheme, this would give them an identity beyond "blending in."

I'm not really a fan of the S and D on the hat being two different colors (did not like that in the orange and blue era) but that jersey was sharp and there would have been a great opportunity for a nice-looking blue alternate.  

I want brown and orange.  I'd settle for brown and yellow.  But I could deal with this.  It's a nice look and there is room for this color scheeme, which is sadly missing from MLB.

This reminds me of another unpopular opinion I have (and share with OnWis): I like brown and orange better than brown and yellow for the Padres...or any other team really.

On 4/22/2018 at 8:57 AM, mafiaman said:

I loved this logo on all of my Fleer, Donruss, and Topps cards in the 1970's...now I can't unsee Mel Gibson the pirate.

I'm trying to think of a way to combine pirate talk with Mel's famous bigoted DUI rant in a way that won't get me in trouble here...

On 4/27/2018 at 1:40 PM, McGlinchey23 said:

15356281%5D,sizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=u

I've actually long considered this set overrated...

On 4/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

I have a soft spot for these weird football uniforms with the upside-down unbalanced look;

0000311716.jpg

1425a6a092d205ef9d16b980eedd02ed.jpgcrump.jpg

joe_beauchamp_1970_10_04.jpg

sd+buf+9_23_73b.jpg

To me, it only works if the pants are a light color... gray, silver, gold... when the Titans wore light blue jerseys and dark blue pants, it looked like trash.

It also only works because it's unique... if it became prevalent, I'd hate it.

How are these upside-down or unbalanced, exactly?

Also: touchdown, Wyoming Redskins!

32 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

How are these upside-down or unbalanced, exactly?

Also: touchdown, Wyoming Redskins!

Because the helmet is lighter than everything else. I personally feel it just looks off when the lightest element is the helmet and the jersey isn’t also the same color. Don’t like it on Wyoming, don’t like it on San Diego, didn’t like it when the Titans used to do it. 

The Hartford Whalers logo is overrated.

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

No opinion is wrong but your opinion is wrong! :P

6 hours ago, Bayne said:

We need a dislike feature just for posts like this.

10 hours ago, jn8 said:

Because the helmet is lighter than everything else. I personally feel it just looks off when the lightest element is the helmet and the jersey isn’t also the same color. Don’t like it on Wyoming, don’t like it on San Diego, didn’t like it when the Titans used to do it. 

Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Cowboys, Colts, Cardinals, Packers, Lions?

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Cowboys, Colts, Cardinals, Packers, Lions?

I should’ve worded my post better. I don’t like it when all three parts of the uniform (helmet, jersey, pants) are different colors and the helmet is the lightest. As far as I know, none of the teams you listed have done this, unless Miami mixed their old orange alts with aqua pants. Hopefully i worded this better than last time

1 hour ago, jn8 said:

I should’ve worded my post better. I don’t like it when all three parts of the uniform (helmet, jersey, pants) are different colors and the helmet is the lightest. As far as I know, none of the teams you listed have done this, unless Miami mixed their old orange alts with aqua pants. Hopefully i worded this better than last time

Oh, gotcha. 

My pet peeve is when a football jersey is anything other than white but still lighter than the pants. The classic example would be the Titans' old Columbia-over-navy, which you dislike for different reasons. For some reason the last Jaguars set managed to do okay with that though - I loved their teal-over-black look, and it would have been fantastic combined with their new helmet. But that's the exception to the rule. (Also purple-over-black is an exception, generally.)

12 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

No opinion is wrong but your opinion is wrong! :P

9 hours ago, buzzcut said:

We need a dislike feature just for posts like this.

I'm telling you, it's overrated. If it came out today it would be heavily critiqued. I like the fin, but the way the W is formed looks completely clunky and it's not even a nice H in the negative space. Not to mention the grey outline version which is just wrong. It should be two elements sitting on an empty background. And blue and green sitting next to each other doesn't work that well either. It's a good concept for a logo, just executed poorly, in a very outdated fashion.