raysox

Unpopular Opinions

12 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The jerseys are fine. It’s hard to find a striping pattern that’s both subdued and not generic, and I think they’ve hit it, particularly their away jerseys.

As fans logos, ‘Winnipeg Jets’has so much potential. An RCAF insignia with a beveled jet and the maple leaf shoehorned in every logo doesn’t make a good look. I like the aviator blue, it beats the generic red and navy of the logos. The only logo I like is the word mark, because it reminds of the vapour trail of a jet.

I think I’d like the aviator blue more if it was used as the main jersey colour, with little accents of red and navy here and there. The light blue feels tacked on in its limited use with the current ones, since there’s none in the logo. Lighter blue with navy pants/helmet is used by no one in the NHL, except STL who use Royal not light blue. 

I suppose the Jets considered that they didn’t want to look like the Thrashers, but’s it better then careening between looking pretty close to the Jackets or looking like the Rangers (retro look). 

On 5/1/2018 at 10:13 PM, MCM0313 said:

Here's one: the New York Jets have had plenty of decent-to-good uniforms, but have never truly had an elite, unforgettable look in my opinion. Their SB III set is their most iconic for obvious reasons, but none of it has anything to do with a name that should have some very interesting design possibilities. In general they've been too plain.

Yeah they need an update. They went back to a mediocre look that they just happened to win a SB in decades prior, and it was a failure. They should try an update with kelly green and black. Maybe with a green or black helmet.

Image result for kelly green jetsImage result for kelly green jets

Related image

I don't want both the Jets and the Eagles, two of the only three green teams in the league, using black; one of them have to be green-only (I prefer the Jets, though the Eagles' midnight green and black aren't exactly an appealing combination). What I think they need is a different number font. Obviously not too crazy, but distinguishable enough... oh, and Kelly green FTW.

Those Marshall uniforms by the way, would be damn near-perfect if it weren't for those unnecessary shoulder caps.

I absolutely loathe the cuts of modern uniforms. "Sleek" and "aerodynamic" can eat my ass. One of my favorite things about sports uniforms, football and basketball especially, was the baggy look to them. Nike's football templates in particular are godawful; not only do they make most offensive linemen look like lard-asses, but they've effectively ruined the concept of doing anything cool with the sleeves ever, because why bother when the jerseys are basically sleeveless?

6 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I absolutely loathe the cuts of modern uniforms. "Sleek" and "aerodynamic" can eat my ass. One of my favorite things about sports uniforms, football and basketball especially, was the baggy look to them. Nike's football templates in particular are godawful; not only do they make most offensive linemen look like lard-asses, but they've effectively ruined the concept of doing anything cool with the sleeves ever, because why bother when the jerseys are basically sleeveless?

To be fair, while yes I don't like Nike's football uniforms (especially FLAT everything, nothing shiny jersey or pants wise). They didn't ruin the concept of sleeves, that was happening before they took over during when Reebok was doing the uniforms and probably in football in general.

It's funny how like in the 80s baseball has tight fitting uniforms and football had baggy jerseys with big sleeves, now its reversed.

13 hours ago, daveindc said:

Yeah they need an update. They went back to a mediocre look that they just happened to win a SB in decades prior, and it was a failure. They should try an update with kelly green and black. Maybe with a green or black helmet.

I don't understand why the Jets need black. Green and white provide plenty of contrast on their own, and look so much cleaner. The Detroit Lions got rid of black, and it improved their uniform by leaps and bounds.

12 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

I don't understand why the Jets need black. Green and white provide plenty of contrast on their own, and look so much cleaner. The Detroit Lions got rid of black, and it improved their uniform by leaps and bounds.

With you on the Lions.  And I dislike almost every instance of adding black (Mets, Royals, even the Flames).  But for reasons I cannot articulate, I loved the Jets addition of black.

2 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

With you on the Lions.  And I dislike almost every instance of adding black (Mets, Royals, even the Flames).  But for reasons I cannot articulate, I loved the Jets addition of black.

Ditto. 1990-97 Jets looked notably better than 1980s Jets, even though the 1990-97 Jets played much worse!

23 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

With few exceptions, teams' uniforms generally don't have anything to do with their nickname. The 80s/90s JETS wordmark is arguably superior to the current oval logo, but other than that, I don't really want to see a uniform that incorporates jets into the design somehow.

O RLY?

jetsplane1_zpsbelswlqu.jpg

10 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Nike’s NBA jerseys are just whole ass. Garbage material and the shoulder stripes are cut off at the back on ALL jerseys. Why?

7 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I don't understand this comparison. Kelly green and black looks great together, and it would be unique combo that ties into the Jets' history. It's not just black for black sake. 

On 5/7/2018 at 10:06 AM, the heat suck said:

They could, y’know, build a new stadium? It’s not like they HAVE to play in the O.

Yeah they could, but the biggest problem is definitely the lack of fans outside of diehards and nostalgia. 

Black on the jerseys were used during what is arguably the worst period in Jets history (they’ve had many embarrassing moments but the 90s were the most brain dumb era ever). The current set ties in to their only shinning moment in history. This is the uniform the Jets need to hold on to for eternity.

They don’t need black, they don’t need a logo change, and they don’t need Nike getting their dirty hands involved in an entirely new set. All they need to do is lighten the green. 

It’s one simple job, a damn color change. Is that too much to ask? 

28 minutes ago, insert name said:

Black on the jerseys were used during what is arguably the worst period in Jets history (they’ve had many embarrassing moments but the 90s were the most brain dumb era ever). The current set ties in to their only shinning moment in history. This is the uniform the Jets need to hold on to for eternity.

They don’t need black, they don’t need a logo change, and they don’t need Nike getting their dirty hands involved in an entirely new set. All they need to do is lighten the green. 

It’s one simple job, a damn color change. Is that too much to ask? 

Honestly, all the Jets need to do is nothing. 

Nike needs to fix their issues with making green. 

I actually like the Nike 3rd jerseys for UEFA teams this year. This one is my favorite by far.

barcelona-17-18-third-kit-3.jpg

There's nothing wrong with darker shades of green. I don't get this obsession with Kelly green. It's a nice color, but it's not DA BEST EVAH as most people here seem to think.

Just now, Jimmy Lethal said:

There's nothing wrong with darker shades of green. I don't get this obsession with Kelly green. It's a nice color, but it's not DA BEST EVAH as most people here seem to think.

I agree with this. A's jerseys and home caps have NEVER looked better, and I like the eagles the way they are.

28 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I agree with this. A's jerseys and home caps have NEVER looked better, and I like the eagles the way they are.

The A's look so much better with forest green. I could go either way on the Jets. Probably slightly prefer kelly green on the current template, but both look good.

14 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The A's look so much better with forest green. I could go either way on the Jets. Probably slightly prefer kelly green on the current template, but both look good.

Completely disagree. 

Then again, Forest green and yellow is one of my top five colour schemes, so I might be biased. 

Eh, I've grown to like kelly green a lot more for the A's. It's just a brighter, "happier" look than the forest green and harkens back to the "Swingin' A's" of the 1970s, a far more successful dynasty than the "Bash Brothers" or the Moneyball period. Such a contrast also sets them off from the "darker" Giants, for those who care about that sort of thing (e.g. royal Mets v. navy Yankees, blue Dodgers v. red Angels, etc.).

While forest looks fabulous with the athletic gold, a darker kelly (like what the Dallas Stars use) would be perfect. I even did a mock-up of the A's with the Dallas Stars' green:

OAK_DallasGreen.thumb.png.ff560e5d91c24ca0e97a79df4807c526.png

Again, a happy medium of kelly and forest would be best for them. 

As for the Jets, I'm fine with either kelly or forest. Just make sure there's no black and that they have a white helmet with a green facemask and black cleats.