Unpopular Opinions

4 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

unpopular opinion: I think this entire identity is trash

I'm already sick of it, TBH.  I think they really botched a chance to bring back the green rainbows like everyone wanted. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

unpopular opinion: I think this entire identity is trash

Yes. What was wrong with green/red? They one their lone title in those colors, wore them for longer than any other combo (AFAIK). Sure, the recent run in that colorway was messy, but it’s still their classic look.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Someone finally says it, I've hated this look since day one. Go back to purple/green, please.

Purple wasn't very popular locally once the 90s trend was over.  Meanwhile, these were going for $50 on eBay during their last year of the previous (red & green) uniforms.

141217-tp-scarf.jpg
I was willing to give the current identity a chance.  But as time goes on, it becomes more and more obvious they dropped the ball.

• Like 2

I’ve kind of soured on all aspects of the Royals’ identity over the past year or so.

The Name: While it’s a fine name, there exists a better alternative - the Kansas City Monarchs. It’s not a direct riff on the livestock show as much as it is slight homage. Monarchs was more importantly the name of the famed Negro League team. With Kansas City being so important to the Negro Leagues (and the site of the Negro League Museum), the name makes sense. However, the Royals started playing in 1969, when no major league owners really cared about the Negro Leagues.

The Colors: We’ve all heard about how they’re derivative of the Dodgers and that they should incorporate more gold or powder blue into their identity. However, that’d still leave them a blue team.

I’ve long believed that the team should have rocked purple and yellow from day one. It was coming into vogue as a color scheme, looked fantastic (and unique in baseball), and had just as much of a “royal” connotation as blue. Purple has been a color of royalty since Antiquity (in Europe, Asia, and Polynesia), while gold has connotations of wealth.

The cap logo: I’ve long preferred the Monarchs/Athletics style of KC logo.

ebbets-field-flannels-kansas-city-monarc

cdf3b78b-3230-4057-8d98-f3bf8533e25f_lg.

It has more “heft” to the design.

The scripts and uniform template are decent, but I prefer the style with more prominent trim:

8a84a3f292c41cad0c9e7e4ddbabf41e--royals

Imagine this, but with purple/yellow/purple striping.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2018 at 9:48 PM, Cujo said:

100% correct.

97692122193535.56045a703d358.jpg0f3b37410362c7f4b719e8aa08f6e2eb.jpg

Vegas would've been a top-tier NFL look. Birmingham, Chicago, LA, NY, and SF looked good too. Memphis and Orlando needed work.

(Unrelated, the Hitmen H has become a very popular logo for high schools. I covered one in Texas.)

6 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Vegas would've been a top-tier NFL look. Birmingham, Chicago, LA, NY, and SF looked good too. Memphis and Orlando needed work.

(Unrelated, the Hitmen H has become a very popular logo for high schools. I covered one in Texas.)

That's why "He Hate Me" is the best football jersey ever

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’ve kind of soured on all aspects of the Royals’ identity over the past year or so.

The Name: While it’s a fine name, there exists a better alternative - the Kansas City Monarchs. It’s not a direct riff on the livestock show as much as it is slight homage. Monarchs was more importantly the name of the famed Negro League team. With Kansas City being so important to the Negro Leagues (and the site of the Negro League Museum), the name makes sense. However, the Royals started playing in 1969, when no major league owners really cared about the Negro Leagues.

Kansas City's American Association club was known as the Blues.  I always thought Royals was the perfect name as it alludes to both the Monarchs and the Blues.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Kansas City's American Association club was known as the Blues.  I always thought Royals was the perfect name as it alludes to both the Monarchs and the Blues.

There’s a key difference. That American Association team was mundane, with a name taken by the St. Louis NHL team. The Monarchs were a long-lasting Negro League team in the founding city of the Negro Leagues. There are no Big Four teams with the “Monarchs” name. Monarchs > Blues, from a historical and branding perspective. “Royals” is an OK compromise, but the Blues really aren’t worthy of that honor. Let them be a footnote compared to the Monarchs’ legacy.

Besides, the Blues were a Yankee farm team. I’d think that the baseball fans of Kansas City would want nothing to do with an homage to a “Yankee farm team,” after that toadie Arnold Johnson ran the Kansas City A’s as one. We have enough teams named after old minor league franchises, why not have one squad named after a Negro League club? What better club than the one playing in Kansas City?

Also, look at how many games the Royals have played in Monarchs throwbacks vs. the amount in Blues uniforms. It clearly favors the Monarchs. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

There’s a key difference. That American Association team was mundane, with a name taken by the St. Louis NHL team. The Monarchs were a long-lasting Negro League team in the founding city of the Negro Leagues. There are no Big Four teams with the “Monarchs” name. Monarchs > Blues, from a historical and branding perspective. “Royals” is an OK compromise, but the Blues really aren’t worthy of that honor. Let them be a footnote compared to the Monarchs’ legacy.

Besides, the Blues were a Yankee farm team. I’d think that the baseball fans of Kansas City would want nothing to do with an homage to a “Yankee farm team,” after that toadie Arnold Johnson ran the Kansas City A’s as one. We have enough teams named after old minor league franchises, why not have one squad named after a Negro League club? What better club than the one playing in Kansas City?

Also, look at how many games the Royals have played in Monarchs throwbacks vs. the amount in Blues uniforms. It clearly favors the Monarchs. 

Point taken, but the other problem is that the Monarchs trademark is owned by the Negro League HOF, and is a significant source of its revenue.  For the Royals to take on the Monarchs identity, they would have make it worth the NLHOF's while, which would probably include funding and maintaining the museum.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

This was the best the Lions ever looked. 

Image result for matthew stafford

These are BEYOND drab

Image result for matthew stafford

From a distance the new look is beautiful but the white and black made the old look pop better, and I don't like the extra gray number outline or the boring striping pattern with the unnecessary wordmark. My only real issue with the previous set was the lack of silver in the primary logo, since black is a the third color. Works on the silver helmet but not on it's own.

Can people let me know if this is unpopular- While I would agree that the Brewers need to pick an identity and stick to it, this:

0*SY3CQJrPY3pHbtFh.jpg

is still an awesome look. Fauxbacks and extra colors being thrown in are hit-or-miss at best and this isn't an upgrade over the old logo colors, but I don't blame them for trying this cause it looks sweet as hell.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NicDB said:

Point taken, but the other problem is that the Monarchs trademark is owned by the Negro League HOF, and is a significant source of its revenue.  For the Royals to take on the Monarchs identity, they would have make it worth the NLHOF's while, which would probably include funding and maintaining the museum.  

Ah, that makes sense. Shouldn’t be hard for a major-league team to do. Of course, it’s probably too late to change it now. Had it been 1969, things might have transpired to allow it to happen. Can’t really throw out roughly a half-century of brand equity (of all the 1969 expansion teams, the Royals have kept the closest to their initial brand).

• Like 4

This might be a bottom-of-the-barrel unpopular opinion, and things won't change anytime soon...but...

The Steelers' white jerseys look way better without sleeve stripes than they do with them. The yellow stripes on white looks kinda goofy if you stare at them long enough. I say this look, with TV numbers on the shoulders, and maybe black & yellow sleeve cuff stripes would look a lot better.

57d248e2bfb9a.image.jpg?resize=1200,864

It might be a better look for Iowa, mainly to get distinguish it a little more from the Steelers.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Ah, that makes sense. Shouldn’t be hard for a major-league team to do. Of course, it’s probably too late to change it now. Had it been 1969, things might have transpired to allow it to happen. Can’t really throw out roughly a half-century of brand equity (of all the 1969 expansion teams, the Royals have kept the closest to their initial brand).

Look no further than their 1969 AL expansion mates, the Brewers, if you want an example of how diluted and messy it can get when you move away from a proven brand for no reason.

The Miami Heat looked their best in the mid-to-late 1990s, once they had added the red alt to their original white home and black road uniforms. All their sets since have been decent updates on the original uniforms - they've kept a visually consistent brand - but the originals plus the red alt, the successors to that set have not yet caught up to it. That Mourning-Hardaway red alt is easily in my top 10 NBA jerseys ever.

4crryrkot16wqeghtfoy_alonzo_mourning_tim

• Like 2