raysox

Unpopular Opinions

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The current logo might seem a bit dated because some of its elements were fads of the early 2000's, but a league full of logos that omit every "dated" design element would be extremely boring.. A logo can have a drop shadow without being a bad logo..

The beer-script styled M with wheat underline fits the brewers nickname and identity very well imo.. In fact, I think it's vastly superior to the BiG logo, which is only popular for nostalgic reasons.. Their current identity isn't executed perfectly, but it's a few tweaks away from being great

I don't necessarily consider their current logo "superior" to BiG, because BiG is very clever and aesthetically pleasing - but there's no denying that their current logo is more appropriate for a team named "Brewers"...plus the wheat-ish color they currently wear is more appropriate than yellow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NicDB said:

If that logo looked a bit more like this I might agree with you.
sHyjxb.png

 

But as it is, no one can say the BiG is somehow more outdated than the "current" early 00s drop-shadowed mess of a logo.

I know that's not necessarily what you're saying here, but it's the most common reason I hear for why people should prefer the newer stuff.

The Germanic font is fitting for Milwaukee, and the wheat underline is a nice touch, but as @Prince Harry mentioned, the combination of big M with navy and yellow looks too much like Meatchicken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hail the Bavarians valiant

hail to the conquering beermen

hail hail to Milwaukee

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

The current logo might seem a bit dated because some of its elements were fads of the early 2000's, but a league full of logos that omit every "dated" design element would be extremely boring.. A logo can have a drop shadow without being a bad logo..

The beer-script styled M with wheat underline fits the brewers nickname and identity very well imo.. In fact, I think it's vastly superior to the BiG logo, which is only popular for nostalgic reasons.. Their current identity isn't executed perfectly, but it's a few tweaks away from being great


If that were true, it would only be popular with the over 30 crowd. Not people who don't remember or weren't even around for the BiG's original run.  It's the cleverness of the hidden "mb" that's allowed it to endure. 

I would also have to disagree that only a "few" tweaks would be needed to make the current identity work.  You'd have to start by getting rid of that goofy MS Word number font.  The current gold doesn't contrast well enough with gray, making it a muddled mess on the road unis.  The scripts are unbalanced to accommodate numbers, which is a flaw in their design.  Those half-assed droptails look goofy, yet don't actually work when extended all the way (several attempts at this have been made in the concepts forum). Even the blue Milwaukee jerseys exposed another design flaw... that weird blob behind the W that's needed to accommodate the drop shadow.

I also feel the current M really only works when you pair it with that heavily flawed identity package.  You can't really pair it with other scripts the way you can with the BiG.
 

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I don't necessarily consider their current logo "superior" to BiG, because BiG is very clever and aesthetically pleasing - but there's no denying that their current logo is more appropriate for a team named "Brewers"...plus the wheat-ish color they currently wear is more appropriate than yellow.


Wheat can come in all different shades of gold, depending on age, texture, and lighting. 

94190-004-D8BC0070.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NicDB said:


If that were true, it would only be popular with the over 30 crowd. Not people who don't remember or weren't even around for the BiG's original run.  It's the cleverness of the hidden "mb" that's allowed it to endure. 

I would also have to disagree that only a "few" tweaks would be needed to make the current identity work.  You'd have to start by getting rid of that goofy MS Word number font.  The current gold doesn't contrast well enough with gray, making it a muddled mess on the road unis.  The scripts are unbalanced to accommodate numbers, which is a flaw in their design.  Those half-assed droptails look goofy, yet don't actually work when extended all the way (several attempts at this have been made in the concepts forum). Even the blue Milwaukee jerseys exposed another design flaw... that weird blob behind the W that's needed to accommodate the drop shadow.

I also feel the current M really only works when you pair it with that heavily flawed identity package.  You can't really pair it with other scripts the way you can with the BiG.
 


Wheat can come in all different shades of gold, depending on age, texture, and lighting. 

94190-004-D8BC0070.jpg

 

The "hidden" MB isn't very hidden, so while it's a cute/clever logo, it has no real staying power for me.. I don't mind it as a secondary or tertiary in the package, but it's a poor use of a "monogram" (as its better suited for a place like  Myrtle Beach, where the city/location name is "M.B.").. The current logo, imo, blows it out of the water..

As for the jersey issues:

-yes, a new similar-but-unique (and more sports-appropriate font for the numbers would do wonders

-the drop tail on Milwaukee looks fine, it's only goofy on the Brewers wordmark, and even then, it doesn't need to extend all the way, just a bit further.. 

-the weird blob behind the W isn't a design flaw, it's a production flaw.. There's no need for it to be produced like that.. A normal gold shadow would be fine.. It's a lazy shortcut made because that area isn't supposed to be seen (although it is often seen, hence this discussion).

 

And the current M, while limited to the "script" (or cursive) family of wordmarks, is nondescript enough that there are certainly other fonts/configurations it would pair nicely with.

 

While I agree that a lot of the "gold" used recently by the club is a bit drab, if they would combine the metallic look of the vegas gold with the brightness of the yellow to get more of a metallic yellow that catches the sunlight and gives off more of a beer/wheat vibe, it'd be perfect..

 

So, while I respect your opinion, I maintain that they're only a few small tweaks away from a great set that perfectly embodies their nickname and identity..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels like "identity" is thrown around a lot as the barometer for a team's logo/look success but when it comes to the Brewers, who have a unique name that is relevant to the region, a lot of votes go to a logo that basically just says "baseball team."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

 

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

 

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

It feels like "identity" is thrown around a lot as the barometer for a team's logo/look success but when it comes to the Brewers, who have a unique name that is relevant to the region, a lot of votes go to a logo that basically just says "baseball team."


I would argue they can get away with it precisely because the name is so relevant to the region.

Plus, the BiG has the added advantage of steering clear from any imagery that could be construed as marketing alcohol to kids... not that I see that happening anytime soon in a place like Wisconsin.  We think nothing of getting hammered at a toddler's birthday party, FFS! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NicDB said:

Wheat can come in all different shades of gold, depending on age, texture, and lighting. 

94190-004-D8BC0070.jpg

 

Right (and gorgeous picture, by the way), but what I'm saying is they need some sort of gold or amber rather than plain yellow, which plenty of other, non-wheat-related teams already wear. Although I'm starting to agree with you that their current shade is too dark, I wouldn't want them to go back to ordinary yellow as a secondary color. They have a unique identity in all of sports and I like that their 2000-current look gives them a unique color too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NicDB said:

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

 

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

 

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.
 

The Brewers' best all-time look's got you covered:Men%20Milwaukee%20Brewers%20New%20Era%20 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Brewers' best all-time look's got you covered:Men%20Milwaukee%20Brewers%20New%20Era%20 

 


Another reason I hate the current Brewers identity.... it was literally change for the sake of change and got rid of this potentially timeless look way too quickly.  Instead, it has only the painful post-Robin Yount years to be associated with.

I play a lot of Ken Griffey Jr. on the SNES though too, so I have a soft spot for this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more partial to the 97-99 caps myself.

20131107_130451.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NicDB said:

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

 

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

 

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.
 

Who is this Yakult, and is she single?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, verno said:

Who is this Yakult, and is she single?

He’s very big, and very hairy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

He’s very big, and very hairy.

Oh nerts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NicDB said:

My point about the W is that the scripts would be a lot more legible without the drop shadows.  But because of the cap logo, it needs them in order to match.  I just wonder how many tweaks you have to make before you end up with something different enough to justify scrapping the entire thing. I get the feeling that a lot of Brewers fans are sick of the current identity simply because of the perception that it keeps getting forced on us when its obvious what the fans prefer.

But I'm gonna go off on a tangent now because this is the unpopular opinions thread... I don't actually mind when baseball teams combine their city and nickname for a cap monogram.  I'll admit my biases as a BiG loyalist are at play here.  But I also logged in a lot of hours playing Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 as a tween and teen, which made me curious about Japanese baseball where this is a much more common practice.

Yomiuri Giants:
giants-2015-1.jpg

 

Chunichi Dragons:
classic-chunichi-dragons-59fifty-fitted-

 

Yakult Swallows:
YAKULTSWALLOWS-NEWERA-59FIFTY-FITTED.001

Hanshin Tigers:
10019495_2.jpg

In some cases, the "city" is actually the corporation that sponsors the team.  The Yomiuri Giants for example, play at the Tokyo Dome and wear scripts that actually say "TOKYO" on their road greys.
 

Several of those examples are attempts to replicate a timeless American look (Giants, Dodgers, Yankees in the first 3), so while I don't agree with the practice, I at least understand what they were trying to do, so I'll give them a small pass..

Also, the issues with the W don't show any weakness with the drop shadow whatsoever.. They show weakness in poor craftsmanship, which is what caused this.. That could just as easily be a solid yellow outline, and if rendered the same way, would look equally ridiculous.. They could easily throw some Velcro there and fix the issue as well, or preferably, have the jerseys produced properly to begin with..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I'm more partial to the 97-99 caps myself.

20131107_130451.jpg

Fun fact: Triple Play '98 (1997 season) had a green alt for those Brewers. I believe they generally wore, in the game, blue the third game of every home series and green the third game of every road series. They actually did have a blue alt with that set IIRC, so I wonder if there was a green one in the makings at that time, but then it got scrapped at the last minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I'm more partial to the 97-99 caps myself.

20131107_130451.jpg

 

I like this variant a bit more:

 

7c4d_1.JPG

 

Still, knock the royal/yellow and BiG all you want, but they are everywhere in Milwaukee. In the two years that I've lived here, I haven't gone a day without seeing the royal/yellow colors and the BiG on some piece of clothing, a house decoration, a car accessory, or some other form of display. It's almost as prevalent as the Packers' logo or the UW-Madison Badger's "Bucky Badger."

 

Anecdotal evidence is usually horse crap, but I do think it counts for something here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

I'm more partial to the 97-99 caps myself.

20131107_130451.jpg

 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

I like this variant a bit more:

 

7c4d_1.JPG

 

Still, knock the royal/yellow and BiG all you want, but they are everywhere in Milwaukee. In the two years that I've lived here, I haven't gone a day without seeing the royal/yellow colors and the BiG on some piece of clothing, a house decoration, a car accessory, or some other form of display. It's almost as prevalent as the Packers' logo or the UW-Madison Badger's "Bucky Badger."

 

Anecdotal evidence is usually horse crap, but I do think it counts for something here.

 

I dig all of the Germanic looks. Perhaps if the BiG hadn't been immortalized by the greatest moments in franchise history, I'd be advocating for a return to those.

 

But SFGiants58 hit the nail on the head, and I don't think that's something people understand unless you've spent some time here. When you're more over than Bucky Badger in Wisconsin's biggest city, it's just plain foolish to not embrace it and run with it. 

4 hours ago, WavePunter said:

Several of those examples are attempts to replicate a timeless American look (Giants, Dodgers, Yankees in the first 3), so while I don't agree with the practice, I at least understand what they were trying to do, so I'll give them a small pass..

 

I would put the Brewers fauxbacks in that category. They may not be as historically significant as the NYC-rooted clubs, but you can put them in any era and they wouldn't look out of place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Brewers did better with their 2000's rebrand people wouldn't be clamoring for a return to the BiG as much. A stronger rebrand would have left the BiG in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now