raysox

Unpopular Opinions

3 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I like classic hockey uniforms, so I don't mind, but one could argue that Dallas, Edmonton, Minnesota, Buffalo, Carolina, Florida, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and the NY Islanders currently have O6-style jerseys as their primaries. All of those teams have simple striping (shoulders and waist only), primary and secondary colors only, and no more than two colors other than white. I'm not sure how you'd define "Original Six Dress-Up," but those elements are probably part of it.

Well Dallas is a Next Six team, while Minnesota was a Next Six market.  Buffalo, Vancouver, Edmonton, and the Isles are all old teams.  The Canes and Jets are pretty minimal, but look more clean than traditional.  The Panthers look like ass and should be more interesting though.

Goofy old school style collar notwithstanding this is actually a pretty solid look that just got the stank of the sox late 70s dark age stuck on them

Image result for Chicago white sox 1976

18 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Goofy old school style collar notwithstanding this is actually a pretty solid look that just got the stank of the sox late 70s dark age stuck on them

I've said for awhile, this uniform on a modern (traditional?) template would not be a bad look.  Though they could probably use some piping.

On 6/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, dsaline97 said:

I like the "illustrator mistake" version much better than the original, as the Brewers fans around here think of it. The "web" looks a lot better where it's just the background version, and honestly, the original looks a lot more like the designer made a mistake in illustrator where he accidentally left the white background on there.

Sorry, Gothamite.

I feel like this version makes more sense since the web is usually the same color as the rest of the glove. That said I somewhat prefer the original version.

38 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Love it. Should be a Sunday alt full time. 

19 hours ago, NicDB said:

I've said for awhile, this uniform on a modern (traditional?) template would not be a bad look.  Though they could probably use some piping.

Made a version of it myself.

ssO0akW.pngwMoaG9g.png

20 hours ago, NicDB said:

The script on the chest is cool. The idea of black/dark pants is cool. And piping could help in a modern template. Everything else I disagree with. The collars are obvious, but the SOX on the cap is inferior to their current logo AND is a complete mismatch with the chest script. The untucked look is sloppy as well. And the sox themselves are fine but nothing special.

The Washington Capitals have never looked better than this.

DeUlyA_XkAAIa4T.jpg

On 6/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Was there an ownership change to coincide with the rebrand or was it only because of the opening of Miller Park?

It was scheduled to coincide with Miller Park, but a crane fell down and killed a bunch of construction workers, delaying construction, so they ended up wearing the Times New Roman uniforms in the unexpected final year of County Stadium. The Seligs didn't sell the Brewers until 2004.

15 hours ago, Cujo said:

DeUlyA_XkAAIa4T.jpg

Loved that uniform in the 90s. If you make the angle stripe a straight horizontal stripe and your remove the wordmark, you have a beautiful modern look.

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

DeUlyA_XkAAIa4T.jpg

On a related note, I didn’t hate this:

DJrd5LL.jpg

Maybe a slight alteration of the word mark, but overall I liked them. I also enjoyed how both teams had a similar color scheme. If only the Nationals had joined in...

I could tolerate those colors for the Wizards.  It was the name I didn't care for.

The Caps always felt like change for the sake of change, though.  I prefer what they wear now.

20 hours ago, Cujo said:

DeUlyA_XkAAIa4T.jpg

It's the best set they've ever had and it's not saying much either. 

--Varsity numbers are generic as hell. I get how they work for classic teams (e.g., Celtics, Packers, Raiders, NY Rangers, etc.) but if you're a newish team or an expansion team, please come up with something more unique and original.

--The Padres' brown and yellow unis are trash. I like unique looks, but brown for a sports uniform? With mustard yellow? All you're missing is a corduroy jacket.

--Teams like using black for some reason (BFBS), but I also see wayyy too much white (what I'm calling WFWS). Especially in the NFL. Why does every team need white pants when white isn't a major part of your repertoire? Take the Ravens for example. Their colors are purple and black, and yet they favor white pants? And the Broncos: orange and blue, and oh wait, white pants?! Kansas City? Chicago Bears? Eagles? I could go on. Why not red pants or blue or forest green, and not just part time?

--Going off that, I love the look of one team color from the helmet to the socks. Nice and uniform.

--The Angels' look with Disney was one of their best looks ever. Fun font, the winged "A," vests, the whole shebang. Looked amazing.

--Teams should emphasize their geographical locations way more. See the Rangers putting "TEXAS" on both their home AND away jerseys. Same with the Miami Marlins and the Dallas Mavericks. Once upon a time team names were nicknames. That's why in old newsreels you'll see teams being named the Detroit "Tigers" with quotation marks because the team's primary identity was with the city, not their mascot. These teams represent their geographical location. What's more important, the city a team is from or its name?

On 6/1/2018 at 4:17 PM, daniel75 said:

I love the Buccaneers current uni’s, minus the Bucs script on the sleeve and the pant stripe. I’ve even come around to their number font though some of the numbers need to be simplified. Besides those three things I think they look awesome. I’m honestly surprised by how much hate they get.

The numbers and Bucs sleeve script are the only things that make the uniform bad. There was no need for a uniform overhaul, but if they had to modernize it, what they did was fairly restrained outside of those two items. I've seen someone mock up photos of the current uniforms with block numbers, and they look miles better than what they use now.

I will say though that Nike made a huge mistake on their alternate pirate ship logo. Someone pointed out shortly after introduction that the rear mast is in front of the sails, and what was the best logo in the new set has been ruined for me ever since.

currentbucslogo.png&c=sc&w=485&h=630

Grey facemasks when there is no grey to be found in the team's colours are ugly and amateur looking.

12 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Grey facemasks when there is no grey to be found in the team's colours are ugly and amateur looking.

100%

If it's not for throwback purposes (Colts, Giants, 49ers) it looks ridic and out of place (Bills, Cardinals).

On 6/4/2018 at 3:55 PM, Rj0498 said:

An alternate inspired by this could be a perfect uniform for the White Sox HOWEVER it would only work if every player pulled their pant legs up.

Long dark pants look awful

4 minutes ago, Cujo said:

100%

If it's not for throwback purposes (Colts, Giants, 49ers) it looks ridic and out of place (Bills, Cardinals).

I think it’s okay for the sake of throwbacks, but if a team’s fulltime uniform uses one just for the sake of being retro inspired, it should be updated. The Giants are fine, they use plenty of grey on their pants, but the 49ers are one of the worst offenders. The grey clashes so poorly with their red and gold colours. It looks bush league.