raysox

Unpopular Opinions

I feel like Under Armour has dropped the ball with Wisconsin's football uniforms. I know you can do so much with a red & white color combo, but I absolutely LOVED this combo when they were with adidas.

Melvin+Gordon+Wisconsin+v+Purdue+Sbn5ICz

On 9/15/2018 at 7:53 PM, MJD7 said:

I actually like 2 chrome helmets in college football: TCU’s purple helmet and Louisville’s cherry red helmet.

yQrWvtE.jpgyAHuNeb.jpg

I love any chrome helmet.  The USF helmet looked great under the lights last night.

14 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I feel like Under Armour has dropped the ball with Wisconsin's football uniforms. I know you can do so much with a red & white color combo, but I absolutely LOVED this combo when they were with adidas.

The black stripes and facemask are gross. That said, I do like red pants for Wisconsin - it just looks much better if they're all red-and-white:

hi-res-6898088_crop_north.jpg?1370564246

I like red pants with the whites as well.

When they first played in a red helmet, it was essentially the opposite of their traditional helmet: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjInvKLwNTdAhVDheAKHWDSDaYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rantsports.com%2Fncaa-football%2F2013%2F09%2F23%2Fwisconsin-badgers-rb-melvin-gordon-should-be-in-heisman-talks%2F&psig=AOvVaw1nmcZKN1cMkA0MiEU_vgno&ust=1537908034673767

I didn't mind that one as a once-a-year thing.  But then they decided to go with the black stripes and trim.  I'm glad it hasn't come back.

Wisconsin doesn't often get too crazy and I'd rather they always have a red mask and go W/R/W and W/W/R and nothing else.

10 minutes ago, Davidellias said:

I like the new Flyers Mascot cause of how dumb he is

I just came here to post this. Gritty is amazing.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:09 PM, WBeltz said:

The black seemed tacked on with the rest of the uniform.  At least they eventually got it right with the red shells.

2013-wisconsin-badgers-new-adidas-unifor

Wouldn't mind this coming back.  With so much red and white in the Big Ten now, it only make sense for when they play Nebraska or when one of the other red teams (Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland) decided to wear white shells.

Actually, as @OnWis97mentioned, the version that was just red/white came first, IIRC only ever worn at Camp Randall.  The version with black tacked on came a little later, and was only ever worn on the road.

I wanna see the red pants come back, though.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:09 PM, Davidellias said:

I like the new Flyers Mascot cause of how dumb he is

As soon as he threatened the Penguins mascot I was on board

I actually like the 1970-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs logo (especially the 1970-92 jerseys) for its simplistic and modern design.

1 hour ago, johnnysama said:

I actually like the 1970-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs logo (especially the 1970-92 jerseys) for its simplistic and modern design.

I’m with you. I do really like what they have now too, but I still think the previous logo was great and I think the 1970-92 set was excellent and much better than it’s given credit for. I think it still would’ve looked great today, as illustrated by when the Marlies sported a uniform which I assume was inspired by it (someone correct me if I’m wrong):

Toronto-Marlies.jpg

21 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

but I still think the previous logo was great and I think the 1970-92 set was excellent and much better than it’s given credit for.

The issue people have with it isn’t so much the aesthetics (though one can argue it’s too modern a look for an O6 team) as much as it the fact that it’s associated with the franchise’s worst years. 

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The issue people have with it isn’t so much the aesthetics (though one can argue it’s too modern a look for an O6 team) as much as it the fact that it’s associated with the franchise’s worst years. 

It's a shame. Their best(in my opinion) jersey is associated with the worst years in their history.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:51 PM, DNAsports said:

Script logo football helmets are underrated

usa-today-10377240.0.jpg

This might be one of my favorite helmets in football. 

14 hours ago, DeFrank said:

This might be one of my favorite helmets in football. 

Same. Reminds me of this South Carolina helmet, in a very good way.

south-carolina-gamecocks-helmet-on-the-s

The Padres 1998 uniform is one of my least favorite in their history. It’s probably mostly because I feel brown & yellow should be the only Padres scheme, and also because the Tigers (and now the Astros again) have such a hold on the navy & orange scheme. The clunky wordmark doesn’t help things for me either.

This one will probably be a shocker:

I don't think the Carolina Panthers need any major changes. I love their color scheme, including the super-bright silver that some think they should drop (look at their helmet up close next chance you get). I think the weird elements of their uniform - the shoulder loops, the '90s helmet stripes - work for them. It's almost as if Cam and company have given a new swagger to the look, and it fits them.

The only real change I think they should make is to drop the white pants. This is kind of painful for me to say, because I think they look great in white-over-white, but there's no need for white pants when silver is one of their colors - plus, as we saw in the preseason, the alternate black pants can complement the white jerseys nicely when paired with the bright blue socks.

I'd say white over silver for home day games, black over silver for home night games, white over black on the road, and then treat the alt looks (all-black and blue over silver) as special-occasion things that the players can decide when to wear. 

(Also, I really loved the super-nineties end zone script they had till the logo retouch, but I get that it was quite dated by that time.)

I think the Saints fleur-de-lis looked SO much better on the helmet when it was larger and single-outlined:

68d066fbb331c955c907ba4cb61ffd18

s568872814488652156_p4095_i1_w568.jpeg

By comparison, the triple outline just looks too cluttered and the reduced size makes it stand out less than it used to. 

181009124629-drew-brees-new-orleans-sain

The old just looked so much cleaner and its straightforwardness was its greatest strength. Sometimes, simple AND larger is better.

P.S: I forgot how great the Saints looked in the late 90’s with the gold numbers. I’d argue it was the second best Saints set behind the inaugural one. It doesn’t quite have the edge because the pants stripe should be black-white-black like the helmet, but even still, it looked really good.

5 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I think the Saints fleur-de-lis looked SO much better on the helmet when it was larger and single-outlined:

68d066fbb331c955c907ba4cb61ffd18

s568872814488652156_p4095_i1_w568.jpeg

By comparison, the triple outline just looks too cluttered and the reduced size makes it stand out less than it used to. 

181009124629-drew-brees-new-orleans-sain

The old just looked so much cleaner and it’s straightforwardness was its greatest strength. Sometimes, simple AND larger is better.

P.S: I forgot how great the Saints looked in the late 90’s with the gold numbers. I’d argue it was the second best Saints set behind the inaugural one. It doesn’t quite have the edge because the pants stripe should be black-white-black like the helmet, but even still, it looked really good.

I disagree about the pant stripes - they don't always have to match the helmet stripes, and I was fond of the wide black stripes on the gold pants. I liked them best with the state of Louisiana shape on them rather than the fleur-de-lis, though.

Don't have a strong opinion on the logo outlining.

12 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the popular opinion.  Particularly given the popularity of not liking double-outlines.

So perhaps I have the unpopular opinion.  I like it now.  I think  the two longer "petals" (for lack of a better term) stick out too much in the original.  I also happen to like multiple-outlines more than most, so I like that part to.  However, I think it's the size and shape that most leads me to prefer the smaller logo.