Unpopular Opinions

On 10/20/2018 at 12:42 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I must admit that some teams pulled off the look pretty well.

twinshlmet-590x407.jpg  93042a_lg.jpegPirates-Throwback-1-590x499.jpg

Road pinstripes really only work when the design of the lettering is simple. The Twins, Padres, and Pirates all have single outlines, with the Twins matching the pinstripe and outline color. However, complex designs look terrible with road pinstripes. The multiple outlines/shadows of the Angels and Diamondbacks, as well as the inlays of the Rockies, clutter things up.

s_angels5_i.jpg 0.jpg ab9a70daa40881fc26c652eb8e86da56.jpg

The Diamondbacks look particularly bad, downplaying a big part of their color scheme (turquoise) and switching emphasis away from their unique purple shade towards black. While I'm a big black/turquoise/copper guy for Arizona, I don't think black was used well from 1998-2006.

YES!! I loved it when the Minnesota Twins had the road pinstripes. It's what allowed them to separate from all other navy-red teams. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I just wish the panthers would drop every instance of silver in their colour scheme for white. It would look so much better, cleaner and more vibrant 

Yeah the silver just comes off tacky and unnecessary. Even a bit of charcoal like the Eagles instead would fit better than all that silver.

8 minutes ago, San Diego said:

I hate everything about the Chicago Bears look and I hate that they have a cool name but don't use any actual bears. 

I mostly like their look, but would be totally cool with them adding grey as a tertiary color and sticking their bear head alt logo somewhere on their uniforms.

Just don't touch the throwbacks with the plain navy helmets and the orange numerals. Those are fantastic.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, San Diego said:

Oh wow! A cap. Great. 

Not sure whether this is unpopular or popular but I, for one, am glad that the Bears don't use that logo on their uniforms.  That logo is terrible.  It's overly detailed and would look terrible on a helmet.  Ferociousness seldom comes out well in logos, in my opinion.  I'm glad the Lions have a silhouette and not something overtly ferocious.

The Bears don't exactly have the most exiting uniforms in the league, but they're certainly iconic at this point.  And the "C," while not exciting, is, in my opinion, much better on a helmet than the ferocious bear would be.  

I don't mind them using a bear in some marketing and clothing, but that logo stinks.  Of course, they can't very well go the silhouette route while sharing a division with the Lions.  But I'd at least like to see a re-design of that thing with less detail.

• Like 4

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

13 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Not sure whether this is unpopular or popular but I, for one, am glad that the Bears don't use that logo on their uniforms.  That logo is terrible.  It's overly detailed and would look terrible on a helmet.  Ferociousness seldom comes out well in logos, in my opinion.  I'm glad the Lions have a silhouette and not something overtly ferocious.

The Bears don't exactly have the most exiting uniforms in the league, but they're certainly iconic at this point.  And the "C," while not exciting, is, in my opinion, much better on a helmet than the ferocious bear would be.  

I don't mind them using a bear in some marketing and clothing, but that logo stinks.  Of course, they can't very well go the silhouette route while sharing a division with the Lions.  But I'd at least like to see a re-design of that thing with less detail.

I'd go as far as to say the Bears have one of the most boring identities in professional sports. Both logos are bland as are the colors. And their uniforms are completely uninteresting.

Are they really iconic though? I'd argue one Super Bowl does not an iconic identity make. They can easily pull some of the magic the Lions are doing right now and call back to the past while embracing the future.

• Like 2

While the Bears have been up-and-down in the Super Bowl era, they've been a staple franchise since way, way back.  The number font, three stripes, and wishbone "C" have been around forever, as well.

I really don't like their look. I think the super-dark blue is the main reason why.  But it's probably second-tier (i.e., just under the Packers, Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys) in terms of being untouchable at this point.  I don't know whether most fans like it or not, but either way, I'd call it iconic.  They're not about to change their colors (which is my main beef) and I definitely think more bad than good can come from trying to put a bear on the helmets or uniforms.  The Lions have messed with their uniforms more than the Bears have...I think the look they are wearing is embracing the past more than anything they could change to.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I hate Fox’s flat scoreboard. The only thing I like about it is the abundance of team colors. Other than that, it’s bland and has no identity whatsoever. It’s also absolutely atrocious on the eyes when a green/purple team is playing since the scoreboard has no borders. I’m not saying the one they had before is any good, but this one is definitely worse. If FOX is gonna do something modern, then modernize the 2000s banners (preferably the 2006-2009 one).

And yeah, the Bears’ main problem is that their Navy is barely a blue at all. Wasn’t this way with Reebok. 

• Like 1

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

On 10/20/2018 at 1:42 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I must admit that some teams pulled off the look pretty well.

93042a_lg.jpeg

I love pinstripes. Change that it orange to athletic gold and that's a sweet uniform.

• Like 1

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 10/21/2018 at 11:28 AM, San Diego said:

I hate everything about the Chicago Bears look and I hate that they have a cool name but don't use any actual bears. 

I love it when the Bears wear white jerseys over the dark pants.  It's a classic old school look with a great color distribution. ?

It's sort of like the Yankees home uniforms. They're such a classic that they don't need any imagery or a lot of color.  They have one uniform that's so good you can overlook their other less appealing looks.  Every league needs a couple of teams like the Bears and Yankees.

• Like 1

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 10/23/2018 at 10:19 AM, ScubaSteve said:

I'd go as far as to say the Bears have one of the most boring identities in professional sports. Both logos are bland as are the colors. And their uniforms are completely uninteresting.

Are they really iconic though? I'd argue one Super Bowl does not an iconic identity make. They can easily pull some of the magic the Lions are doing right now and call back to the past while embracing the future.

The syntax of this sentence is really confusing. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D