Unpopular Opinions

OPINION 1: The NFL on a whole is too bland and boring.

nfl_nike_unis_576.jpg

This image does it for me. 2 green, 3 teal, 1 purple, 5 red and a SH**LOAD of navy blue and black. Diversify. Panthers should switch electric blue to full time homes, Pats should wear red, Bucs should be wearing an increased load of orange, etc.

OPINION 2: Nikefying the NFL MAY be a good thing, in moderation.

1333476824-uniforms.jpg

Everyone wants to see these in action. I cant wait to see how they look versus say the 49ers and Patsies. The reports of Dolphins, Cardinals, Jaguars, Etc moving to updated unis and logos will remove the staleness of the mid 2000s and Reebok and will keep the game visually appealing.

OPINION 3: 1992-2002 produced as many uniform successes as it did failures.

I mean, these were hideousshocked.gif :

kaspar-fish1-300x251.jpg

but I loved these:

Capitals_display_image.jpg?1332098973

The 90s and its rebellious nature led to a approach far and wide criticized throughout anesthetics. Teams reached far and wide into the book of unconventional wisdom and pulled out the crumpled pages, you know, the ones with the grease from the grilled cheese all over the front. Innovation and distancing from the past were key. This next team is a prime example:

9.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1320644730818

A creamsicle identity known for the tragic losses of the 70s, 80s. These uniforms were often associated with failure: from the field to the knockoff sweatshops. A custom color or two later, and:

New+England+Patriots+v+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+ZIoyFg9Dk3cl.jpg

AWESOME (although I think it may need a bit more orange, above). They found newfound success in these beauties and eventually won the franchises first super bowl.

Heres a story of a less successful venture:

CST1985.jpg

From an era of the battling Royal Blue and Orange dyasties, this team had a top 10 uniform of all time, IMO. They decided, in 1996, to try to give the team new life. They darkened the origional colors, till they were midnight blue and copper, and got these hideous things.

EdmontonOilers1996t.JPG

I mean, copper and MB look ok, but RED? And whats with this dude:

91.gif

Let me close with my 2 personal 90s favs:

thb_aalto_rd.JPG

98332-004-0F669FEC.jpg

***(Both)

I love the Gorton's logo. It would look just fine on a regular jersey.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

penguins24.png

Best set in Pens history.

I like the black sweater. As a potential alternate. With the skating penguin on the shoulders.

Not sure how popular vs unpopular this opinion is, but it's kind of on topic now. I don't think the robo penguin was all that great a logo.

Nut sure if this is necessarily unpopular, but I think the Rangers are the only team who should use a diagonal script. The one above was just unnecessary and would've been one of my favourite sets in hockey history had they just put the robo-pen on the front.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Nobody should use a diagonal script. Including the Rangers, and I hate everything about their uniforms anyway.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

I am 100% in support of the recent announcement of ads on NBA jerseys... even to the extent of a soccer-style system.

The grumpy old men at Uni-Watch can suck it with their #NoUniAds campaign.

20386591.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

penguins24.png

Best set in Pens history.

I like the black sweater. As a potential alternate. With the skating penguin on the shoulders.

Not sure how popular vs unpopular this opinion is, but it's kind of on topic now. I don't think the robo penguin was all that great a logo.

Most people prefer the skating penguin to the Robo Penguin. I personally prefer the latter. It looks more like penguin than the cartoon-like skating iteration and I like the streamlined simplicity of the design. As a jersey crest, it looks fantastic which is why the black jersey not having it featured on the front was a huge mistake.

I think the Seahawks' Green Jersey is one of the best looking jerseys ever.

Seahawks+Green+2.jpg

The only way this uniform would have been better is if they used their white pants with it. Then, it would have been one of the best uniforms ever.

Also, I think this is the best the Bills have ever looked.

Jim+Kelly.jpg

I will add that if the Bills used the helmet from the Oh-God-help-us-not-them-again-Bills era, with their current uniforms, then their current set would be the best in Bills history.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Jim+Kelly.jpg

I will add that if the Bills used the helmet from the Oh-God-help-us-not-them-again-Bills era, with their current uniforms, then their current set would be the best in Bills history.

Could the numbers from this era look any cheaper? The Champion number font has to be one of the worst ever.

I think the Seahawks' Green Jersey is one of the best looking jerseys ever.

Seahawks+Green+2.jpg

The only way this uniform would have been better is if they used their white pants with it. Then, it would have been one of the best uniforms ever.

Absolutely agree with this. I think most football jerseys are boring because there's not that much you can do with them without making them gaudy, but, i like this. It's different