Unpopular Opinions

ps) You know what, when they actually played in Los Angeles (at Wrigley, and then later Chavez Ravine aka "Dodger Stadium") they had a nice set of unis:

2249772632_385d49f358.jpg?v=0

Plus this is cool.

Here's a cool guide to the evolution of Angels logos since their introduction from the Pacific Coast League to the American League in 1961: angels_logos.jpg

...which do you guys like best?

I'm going with their short lived 1971-73, 1993-97 and 2002-05 looks.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but, as I mentioned before, the late 90's periwinkle Disney set is my all-time favorite for the Angels. I understand many don't like the Disney looks of either the Angeks or the Ducks, but in my opinion, I really think both of those identities were great.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

They did start life as the Los Angeles Angels, though. And it's not like people who live in LA really accept the Angels as "LA's baseball team," anyway.

Precisely why the name change is so dumb.

It's not like Anaheim/Orange County is a "small" market! Orange County is home to 3,000,000+ residents (as of 2008), and surrounding Riverside and San Bernadino Counties (which are primarily Angels fans - especially in Riverside), are home to 2,073,571 and 2,060,950 citizens, respectively.

So you imagine 3,000,000 OC fans, 2.1 million Riverside fans, and HALF of San Bernadino rooting for them (the other half swearing allegiance to Los Doyers), that's OVER 6,000,000 people right there! It was absolutely ludicrous to change the name! (Even if he did it to appeal more to an international [see: Mexican] audience, and the rest of the US) It's not like Anaheim has had more televised games because of it, or sold more merch. All they need to do is continue to keep winning the AL West and remaining competitive (and hey, maybe beat those damn Sawx for once in the postseason), and they'll have plenty of fans!

I mean, look at Manchester United! One of the most RECOGNIZABLE sports brands on Earth, and it's because they're successful, NOT because they're from a big city like London (home of powerhouses like Chelski and Arsenal, but also lesser-known clubs in the U.S. like Tottenham, Fulham and West Ham United. Manchester has a population of 394,269, which is good for SEVENTH in England (and slightly larger than Anaheim), however, Greater Manchester has a population of 2,240,230, which is nearly a MILLION less than Orange County, yet look how famous MANU are world wide!!!

ARE YOU TAKING NOTES, MR. MORENO!??

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I understand many don't like the Disney looks of either the Angels or the Ducks, but in my opinion, I really think both of those identities were great.

Completely disagree with your assessment of the Periwinkle look, but I LOVED Disney's idea to change then name from "California" Angels to "Anaheim" Angels (as there are FOUR other baseball clubs in California.)

ps) Did you know they almost changed the name to the "Mighty Angels of Anaheim"??? Haha! How AWFUL would that have been!?

Also, here's a great argument in favor of retaining the Anaheim identity and dropping Los Angeles from the name...

"During his testimony this week, Moreno put on an exhibition of how not to win over friends in Anaheim. At one point, he noted that the name changed was focused around drawing fans from the ?L.A. media market.? In doing so, he compared the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to the New York Yankees and Mets. Those two teams don?t pay homage to the Bronx and Queens respectively; why should he pay homage to Anaheim?

Of course, what Moreno failed to mention contains a little lesson in geography. The Bronx and Queens are part of New York City while Anaheim is part of the O.C. It?s not a borough in Los Angeles; it?s not a suburb of Los Angeles; and in fact, it?s a good 30 miles away from Los Angeles. The New York Jets and Giants of New Jersey are closer to their namesake than the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are to theirs."

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

My unpopular opinion:

The Red Sox, Tigers, and Yankees uniforms are all awful.

I just haven't liked their identity since I was old enough to formulate valid opinions. I like uniforms with color and modern-ish feels. The Red Sox are close to a modern feel with their alternate unis, but the Yankees and Tigers will never be that way, I fear.

Just my honest opinion.

Punch9

I understand many don't like the Disney looks of either the Angels or the Ducks, but in my opinion, I really think both of those identities were great.

Completely disagree with your assessment of the Periwinkle look, but I LOVED Disney's idea to change then name from "California" Angels to "Anaheim" Angels (as there are FOUR other baseball clubs in California.)

ps) Did you know they almost changed the name to the "Mighty Angels of Anaheim"??? Haha! How AWFUL would that have been!?

Also, here's a great argument in favor of retaining the Anaheim identity and dropping Los Angeles from the name...

"During his testimony this week, Moreno put on an exhibition of how not to win over friends in Anaheim. At one point, he noted that the name changed was focused around drawing fans from the ?L.A. media market.? In doing so, he compared the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to the New York Yankees and Mets. Those two teams don?t pay homage to the Bronx and Queens respectively; why should he pay homage to Anaheim?

Of course, what Moreno failed to mention contains a little lesson in geography. The Bronx and Queens are part of New York City while Anaheim is part of the O.C. It?s not a borough in Los Angeles; it?s not a suburb of Los Angeles; and in fact, it?s a good 30 miles away from Los Angeles. The New York Jets and Giants of New Jersey are closer to their namesake than the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are to theirs."

Thats a perfect argument to drop Los Angeles, great find. I am also against the use of Los Angeles, as I saw during my senior trip to Los Angeles, that the Angels' use of it makes no sense. I saw what this article argues - there really is quite a distance between Anaheim and LA.

Also, I understand your disagreement on the periwinkle look, but I will say this: during my senior trip, I went to Hollywood, Anahiem, and the Six Flags. During my time there, I was shocked at how many Disney-era hats I saw in each place being worn. I'd think it's safe to say it outnumbered the current hats. There was even a whole family at the six flags donning either the authentic or a fashion style featuring the winged A. I'm not implying that it's the most popular among Angel fans because I really don't know, but I really struck me at how many I saw being worn.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

ghctcl5gnhkzncwxewl1gu06f.gif

In fact, if you'll look down at the comments here, you see I was the first to comment that I LOVED THEM.

I have one of those. It's awesome and definitely gets more than it's fair share of comments when I wear it.

Best jersey in NFL history

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

They did start life as the Los Angeles Angels, though. And it's not like people who live in LA really accept the Angels as "LA's baseball team," anyway.

Precisely why the name change is so dumb.

It's not like Anaheim/Orange County is a "small" market! Orange County is home to 3,000,000+ residents (as of 2008), and surrounding Riverside and San Bernadino Counties (which are primarily Angels fans - especially in Riverside), are home to 2,073,571 and 2,060,950 citizens, respectively.

So you imagine 3,000,000 OC fans, 2.1 million Riverside fans, and HALF of San Bernadino rooting for them (the other half swearing allegiance to Los Doyers), that's OVER 6,000,000 people right there! It was absolutely ludicrous to change the name! (Even if he did it to appeal more to an international [see: Mexican] audience, and the rest of the US) It's not like Anaheim has had more televised games because of it, or sold more merch. All they need to do is continue to keep winning the AL West and remaining competitive (and hey, maybe beat those damn Sawx for once in the postseason), and they'll have plenty of fans!

I mean, look at Manchester United! One of the most RECOGNIZABLE sports brands on Earth, and it's because they're successful, NOT because they're from a big city like London (home of powerhouses like Chelski and Arsenal, but also lesser-known clubs in the U.S. like Tottenham, Fulham and West Ham United. Manchester has a population of 394,269, which is good for SEVENTH in England (and slightly larger than Anaheim), however, Greater Manchester has a population of 2,240,230, which is nearly a MILLION less than Orange County, yet look how famous MANU are world wide!!!

ARE YOU TAKING NOTES, MR. MORENO!??

Terrible analogy. ManU has been successful for more than 50 years. The Angels have not been in business half as long that Man U has been. Plus, while the population of Manchester has gone down, they are still a draw on TV. Meanwhile, the Angels ca get good attendance, they are bottom 3 in local TV ratings. Nice job with 6 million "fans".

Edmonton+Oilers+v+Florida+Panthers+Vd9xrfFSGcyl.jpg

I don't think a lot of people like these, but I love them:

olineburgundy.jpg

Each of these sets are an embarrassment to their respective sport.

MLB:

- I'd like the A's and Pirates to go back to their respective 70's gold/green/white and black/gold/white schemes and mix them up in any fashion any day of the week.

NBA:

- I like the Sixers going back to the old logo and uni style.

NFL:

- The Redskins current set is awesome, and white on burgundy should be worn at every home game,

while the burgundy on white should be worn at Dallas (or any other team that wears white at home - however see next point)

- Home jerseys should be picked for the entire year and submitted to the league. No more teams wearing white at home willy-nilly then changing to the darks (like if it's hot to reflect the sun or for whatever reason the Eagles do it for 3 or 4 home games.) Now I'm all for a policy like the Dolphins where they wear darks at home on Sunday or Monday nights, but that should be declared before the regular season starts.

NHL:

- I prefer the Coyotes' original logo to their current. As an aside, their home unis remind me of the Soviet CCCP jerseys (not saying that's bad).

- The Bruins "Pooh Bear" jerseys weren't that bad.

sig-1.png

I really don't care what the Angels do regarding their name at this stage. Just pick one. Either they're the Los Angeles Angels or the Anaheim Angels. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is just terrible. I would prefer the Los Angeles Angels at this point to be honest.

One of top 5 color combos in the NHL. The colors are fantastic...

fbh4jfr7lwbpuezjx0xbktfmo.gif

Agreed. Much better then the skating Disney advertisement look.

NBA

- Rockets - One of the best identities in the NBA, jerseys included (before adding yellow feat. the McDonalds look)

- Warriors - Copperplate fits their new logo and identity

- 76ers' new floor is nothing special

- Hawks - ATL abbreviaition looks good

- Wolves' recent updated primary logo is sharp

- Mavs' gray 'thrashbag' alternates were not-so-bad

Not so sure if these are very unpopular, at least haven't seen any complaints:

- Orl Magic - from a decent logo to D-League quality

- Pacers should update their logo, it's boring

NHL

- Islanders' Fisherman logo is great

One of top 5 color combos in the NHL. The colors are fantastic...

fbh4jfr7lwbpuezjx0xbktfmo.gif

As much as this has grown on me, I don't think the colours are anywhere near the best. Although the jersey does look much better in person and on TV than the logo does on the internet. Still not overly keen on the Ducks using a wordmark instead of, y'know, a duck. The 'D' by itself is a nice logo, but it's not strong enough by itself.

And speaking of the Ducks, I'm part of the crowd that actually likes the old duck mask logo. The dark eggplant and jade jersey is my favourite of all time (Yet for some reason, I don't like the white version as much. Maybe a certain movie sequel had something to do with that).

niedermayer.jpg

If they ever bring this one back, even if it's just for a Winter Classic or something, I will go ecstatic.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Terrible analogy. ManU has been successful for more than 50 years. The Angels have not been in business half as long that Man U has been. Plus, while the population of Manchester has gone down, they are still a draw on TV. Meanwhile, the Angels ca get good attendance, they are bottom 3 in local TV ratings. Nice job with 6 million "fans".

Look who else is towards the bottom there (26th out of 29th - No ratings available for Toronto): The Los Angeles Dodgers (and LA is home to over 9,000,000 people!!!)

Also, look at the undisputed "most popular team in baseball", the New York Yankees who OWN their own freakin network and NY is home to over 15,000,000 people! (Not to mention hundreds of thousands of fans nationwide and worldwide) - they are ranked TWELFTH!!!

However, let's look at attendance for the Angels and Dodgers:

2009: 1. LA Dodgers (3,761,653); 5. Anaheim Angels (3,240,374)

2008: 3. LA Dodgers (3,730,553); 6. Anaheim Angels (3,336,744)

2007: 2. LA Dodgers (3,857,036); 5. Anaheim Angels (3,365,632)

2006: 2. LA Dodgers (3,758,545); 5. Anaheim Angels (3,406,790)

2005: 2. LA Dodgers (3,603,646); 4. Anaheim Angels (3,404,686)

Look, in Southern California (arguably one of the most beautiful places on Earth, and also one of the largest vacation destinations in the world), people have better things to do than sit inside watching television. Clearly, we ATTEND our team's games, and sellout routinely, but with so many entertainment options (not to mention the thousands of specialty networks, channels, programs, etc. on television today - AND the internet), I'm honestly not surprised that TV ratings are so low for the Angels and Dodgers.

Frankly, your point is moot.

I rest my case.

ps) These are your Top Five Attendance Rankings for the 2010 season thus far -

1 LA Dodgers - (2,375,826)

2 NY Yankees - (2,303,395)

3 Philadelphia - (2,205,950)

4 Anaheim -(2,072,331)

5 St. Louis - (2,052,809)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png