Unpopular Opinions

Too many teams have Red as their primary colors.

Agreed. Though I give TFC a pass for multiple reasons...

- Raptors are the only other Toronto club featuring red & that may change soon,

- TFC's unofficial nickname are Reds, the unis are very popular with Liverpool-ManU-Arsenal among others of which many TFC fans are supporters of; it makes the team feel official,

- Canada, we can get away with it better for Canadian branding.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Too many teams have Red as their primary colors.

Agreed. Though I give TFC a pass for multiple reasons...

- Raptors are the only other Toronto club featuring red & that may change soon,

- TFC's unofficial nickname are Reds, the unis are very popular with Liverpool-ManU-Arsenal among others of which many TFC fans are supporters of; it makes the team feel official,

- Canada, we can get away with it better for Canadian branding.

Also the red on the city flag, not to mention the provincial flag.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

My question is what would an updated Wings logo look like...my guess is a deflated tired because that's what happened to their Motor Industry XD

XD a major sector of the American economy and middle class failed XD
  • Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

detroit-red-wings-nhl-2013-2014.jpg

Don't get me wrong, these aren't really awful... but they are SO generic. They have very few stripes on their uniforms and taking away the stripes makes it look like a standard red sweater. I have said multiple times that the Red Wings logo is one of the best logos in sports, but it's so well-detailed and something so well-detailed like their logo being paired with those generic uniforms seems to me, out of place. I wouldn't have minded if they made a slight change to the number font or at least added an extra stripe, but these just aren't doing it for me.

If you take away the stripes from any jersey it's a blank jersey. The most intricately striped jersey is blank without any stripes. Not sure what you're trying to say there.

I'd argue that the detailed logo pairs nicely with simple striping. Too many stripes matched with that logo would be visual overkill.

They've worn these since the 30's. There's some historical context to why they're so simple or as you put it "generic". They were actually one of the first to adopt that template and the red sleeves on the aways are hardly generic. That so many other teams have borrowed the look since they created it is not their fault. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It's not like these are a new design adopted by a 1990's Florida expansion team or something.

Also, they tried a different number font and it lasted exactly one season.

Well, I didn't say it was a "popular" opinion. :P

And while I hear everything you said, the uniforms still bore me and I don't think of them as great just because they are classics.

I actually liked the Dallas Stars' "Mooterus" logo.

And I agree with you about the Nordiques logo. Looking at it nowadays, it just seems so dated and old. Though I actually like the Jets and North Stars logos.

I actually still have that jersey.... and I still love it.

Also the Nordiques logo is overrated and I actually was not a fan of both of the Stadium series jerseys this year the could have be so much more done but I digress. I also hate the Miami Marlins "M" logo... I just don't like it

+1

I always thought the logo was extremely clever. "The Stars aligning to create an unstoppable force." The sleeve patches were also a unique way to include their primary mark while maintaining the style of the new logo. Does it look like a uterus? Maybe a slight resemblance but I don't think it deserves half the derision it gets.

These Pacers' jerseys are overrated.

jh2_1973.jpg?itok=4r3yu2Dp

Agreed. The idea is nice, I see what they were going for, but the execution is poor. The set as a whole just looks a bit sloppy.

Care to elaborate? I honestly think the originals were one of the best modern nba designs of all time. The only thing I'd change to update them today would be to drop the detailed tim on the collars and maybe make the drop shadow less dramatic or replace it with an outline. Those changes seem pretty minor.

Agreed. The idea is nice, I see what they were going for, but the execution is poor. The set as a whole just looks a bit sloppy.

Care to elaborate? I honestly think the originals were one of the best modern nba designs of all time. The only thing I'd change to update them today would be to drop the detailed tim on the collars and maybe make the drop shadow less dramatic or replace it with an outline. Those changes seem pretty minor.

Sure. It's the angled asymmetric side stripes that really drive me crazy with that set. Having it angled one way on the jersey is fine, but I really wish that they would've tried to keep it going on the shorts, rather than having it end abruptly on the jersey, then repeat itself on the shorts. It looks a bit disconnected like that. They've always looked really sloppy in motion to me for that reason.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The Tillman-era jerseys were basically practice sets, no?

I love that uniform. Not really sure why. The dark jersey, along with the Raiders, is about as basic as it gets but I really, really loved that uniform.

Actually, I thought they kept taking steps backwards on the white jersey and my love of it was over when they added the state flag.

I really liked the below set (though by now the sleeves on the white would obviously need to have changed)

1988_Phoenix.png

Coming to this part of this discussion late, but wanted to say one thing about those White jerseys...

The "Northwestern"-style striping that was present on the White jerseys of that era, is duplicated in University of Phoenix Stadium behind the north-end scoreboard. The smaller scoreboard, on the closed end of the stadium (opposite the end where the field slides in).

I took a tour of the stadium a couple of years ago, and they were walking us all over to the lofts (suites) on that end of the stadium, and that exact pattern of Black-White-Red-White-Black-White-Red-White-Black was painted from floor to ceiling along that entire wall. It took me aback, and we were moving so quickly through there, I wasn't able to take a picture of it. Really regret not doing that.

I thought it was a great touch.

The Cardinals should just rip off the Houston Oilers' stripes. Black-white-red-white-black on the helmet, pants, and both jerseys.

Sure. It's the angled asymmetric side stripes that really drive me crazy with that set. Having it angled one way on the jersey is fine, but I really wish that they would've tried to keep it going on the shorts, rather than having it end abruptly on the jersey, then repeat itself on the shorts. It looks a bit disconnected like that. They've always looked really sloppy in motion to me for that reason.
The whole design is brilliant, in my opinion. It's got a certain modern and sleek feel to it that makes it perfect for a team named the Pacers. The current set works, but not as well in my opinion.

The pinstriped set? Way too traditional for the team name, in my opinion.

Aside from baseball scripts on jerseys, has another team used lower case letters on a jersey? I can't think of any at the moment.

newera_01082015-paul-george-lifestyle597

The Wild and Flames both have alternates that include properly capitalized scripts, and Anaheim's last Mighty Ducks alternate had one as well. Tampa Bay's pre-Edge primary logos both used lower case letters as well, as does Washington's current primary.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This is my favorite Padres jersey ever:

vaughn-gwynn-padres-1998.jpg

And I kind of hope they go back to something like this full time.

This is my favorite Era too. I live the blue and orange. It looks really striking on those grays too!

packchampionslfroh.png