Unpopular Opinions

Islanders18.png

If the Islanders had used this 1997-98 style uni originally in 1995 without the Gorton's Fisherman logo in the middle, it would have been very well received and lasted a few years longer.

Honestly, my problem with these unis wasn't the Fisherman, it was the jerseys themselves. If the Fisherman was in normal Isles colours on a traditional hockey sweater, it would have been a hit.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I feel like I'm one of the few that's absolutely hated everything the Anaheim Ducks have worn since 2006. Partly because I was such a huge fan of the Mighty Duck era sets, but mostly because it just flat out never has looked good. The wordmark logo was a joke and looked terribly awkward on the uniform, the "D" on it's own, though a slight upgrade, still isn't a good solution, the number font is a fat train wreck...it's just all been a mess. They've been the worst looking team in the league for nearly a decade now.

I'd prefer they just go right back to everything pre-2006 (that's probably an unpopular opinion as well), but at the very least, just scrap the whole identity, detonate it in some far off desert somewhere, and start completely fresh. I'm sure there's thousands of better options a designer could come up with than what they've got now.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The standalone D is better than the full wordmark, but the new sweaters, with orange as the secondary color instead of beige, are somehow even worse than the previous set. At least the Ducks were just bland and soulless before. Now they have weird phantom yokes and side panels and mismatching socks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Islanders18.png

If the Islanders had used this 1997-98 style uni originally in 1995 without the Gorton's Fisherman logo in the middle, it would have been very well received and lasted a few years longer.

Honestly, my problem with these unis wasn't the Fisherman, it was the jerseys themselves. If the Fisherman was in normal Isles colours on a traditional hockey sweater, it would have been a hit.

I totally agree. The logo itself isn't bad, and neither are the colors. But there are two main reasons, imo, why this jersey was such a colossal flop:

1. Followed one of the sharpest and most classic uniforms the NHL has ever seen.

2. The wave pattern and how the numbers are tilted to make it look like waves.

These two reasons are why I still give this uni a 1.5/5.

spacer.png

The Ducks have never really had a great look IMO. I couldn't stand the wacky and cheesy "Mighty Duck" scheme at all and I think what they have now is significantly better. That being said, it still lacks in appeal and I do think they should blow the whole thing up and start over.

The ducks should return to the mighty ducks look as the basis for everything they do

8062785886_f0749d5712.jpg

This is so much better than anything they've done post 2006. Ditch the new stuff, go back to classic ducks.

"Mighty Ducks" just sounds too 90's and childish to me. The Ducks moniker works fine, and honestly, these jerseys are overrated.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2015 at 8:15 AM, buckeye said:
On 4/24/2015 at 0:19 AM, El Scorcho said:

The ducks should return to the mighty ducks look as the basis for everything they do

This is so much better than anything they've done post 2006. Ditch the new stuff, go back to classic ducks.

"Mighty Ducks" just sounds too 90's and childish to me. The Ducks moniker works fine, and honestly, these jerseys are overrated.

First, I don't think we'd find El Scorcho's opinion to be anywhere near unpopular around here. Most people prefer this look.

While he does not acknowledge which name to use, I think it would be totally reasonable to use the old uniform design and still be called "Anaheim Ducks." While I prefer the old look (by a little, I don't really like it), I would not want it at the expense of going back to "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim". I agree that the original name was not very "big leagues".

While I'd like them to go with something like some of the green/orange concepts we've seen around here, I could live with an update of the above photo...no more 90s asymmetry. I don't love the colors but at least they are unique and could really be identified with the "Anaheim Ducks."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I must be the only one who doesn't like these. Yeah, the primary jerseys aren't great, but this is incredibly dated and should not become the permanent jersey.

PHO-10Dec28-280025.jpg

I know I've said this before, but I would have the Caps look like this:

1996_draft_bulis_action.jpgsimon_thisdate_nov2.jpg

The red, white, and blue thing, I get it, nation's capital and all that. But this was the color scheme and look I grew up with watching the Caps. To me, this is how they should look. We don't need the all black uniform with the Capitol Building logo on the front, no thanks. (And ps, I'd wear the white jerseys at home)

• Like 1

90758391980.gif

I must be the only one who doesn't like these. Yeah, the primary jerseys aren't great, but this is incredibly dated and should not become the permanent jersey.PHO-10Dec28-280025.jpg

I know I've said this before, but I would have the Caps look like this:

The red, white, and blue thing, I get it, nation's capital and all that. But this was the color scheme and look I grew up with watching the Caps. To me, this is how they should look. We don't need the all black uniform with the Capitol Building logo on the front, no thanks. (And ps, I'd wear the white jerseys at home)

Agreed. That blue jersey is probably my favorite caps jersey of all time, I have one at home.

spacer.png

Yeah the dark jerseys from that era were actually blue, not teal. They look lighter in that pic. Here is a video of them in those jerseys from the '98 eastern conf. finals against Hasek and the sabres, this is their actual colors: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T4d6qjVzASI

spacer.png

FWIW, the teal/gold/black color scheme is equally appropriate for DC because it's based off the Presidential Seal:

ConservationUSPresidentSeal5.jpg

Teal? It was blue. And it could easily been based off the Congressional seal, as it has the color closer to the Caps wore, whereas the Presidential seal is usually more navy in color..

769px-Seal_of_the_United_States_Congress

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Capitals try to redo this uniform in red, white, and blue, actually. Just because they want to use more traditional patriotic colors doesn't mean they have to stick with a terrible logo, when they have a great one they've used for years.