Unpopular Opinions

All-one-color uniforms should be outlawed.

So should black alts.

Is it really unpopular?

for every sport except basketball, and some cases for hockey, and some cases for soccer. Hell even football has some cases where monochrome looks good.

not to mention specifically baseball.

Black alts arent the worst either, provided it is a primary or secondary colour.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Save for the Original Six, I think everyone else in the NHL should try and experiment new and exciting designs instead of using this same-old traditional template. I just think there has to be a change of scenery w/ regards to hockey aesthetics.

I'm gonna apologize early on behalf of the offended 'traditional jersey' fanboys.

The Stars have won of the bottom 5 NHL logos, there's nothing cool or clever or classy about it whatsoever.

I love their jerseys but hate the logo. They could have easily just recolored what they had, despite what the owner or whoever was said when they were unveiled.

I think they should've went with an entirely different identity when they left Minneapolis. I get the nod to the North Stars, but I've just never been a fan of what they later became (adding black for the most of it). I also think it looks incredibly weird that a Dallas-based team isn't using blue, but that's more of a personal perspective of mine. I still think their current look is the best they've ever looked as the "Dallas Stars".

Also, I would've prefer if they went with "Texas" instead of "Dallas" because they're the only NHL team in their state.

I'm excited to see Michigan Red Wings and the Massachusetts Bruins start up next season.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I'm not a Broncos fan, but Denver's current logo (serious & more intimidating) was a major improvement over their old cartoonish one. Never understood the fascination some have with it.

Intimidating? To whom? Which NFL teams are intimidated by Denver's current horse head? Is J.J. Watt losing sleep in Houston over the "intimidating" Broncos logo? Omaha! Omaha!

• Like 1

Was watching the 86 Stanley cup finals and I realized that I just don't like the Flames origional uniforms. Red and yellow is a beautiful color scheme by itself and it works for teams like Chiefs but it just looks wierd with the Flames. I defenatly think they need a little bit of black.

I prefer the shade of red they used in their 2nd uniform set + the addition of black

Calgary-Flames-Red-Jersey-1995-2000.jpg

Was watching the 86 Stanley cup finals and I realized that I just don't like the Flames origional uniforms. Red and yellow is a beautiful color scheme by itself and it works for teams like Chiefs but it just looks wierd with the Flames. I defenatly think they need a little bit of black.

Yes, I also think they need black, but only as a trim color. They don't need to be a red and black team because we already have enough of those in hockey.

Save for the Original Six, I think everyone else in the NHL should try and experiment new and exciting designs instead of using this same-old traditional template. I just think there has to be a change of scenery w/ regards to hockey aesthetics.

I'm gonna apologize early on behalf of the offended 'traditional jersey' fanboys.

Agreed. I would love to see some teams like Tampa Bay or San Jose go with something different.

The Stars have won of the bottom 5 NHL logos, there's nothing cool or clever or classy about it whatsoever.

I love their jerseys but hate the logo. They could have easily just recolored what they had, despite what the owner or whoever was said when they were unveiled.

I think they should've went with an entirely different identity when they left Minneapolis. I get the nod to the North Stars, but I've just never been a fan of what they later became (adding black for the most of it). I also think it looks incredibly weird that a Dallas-based team isn't using blue, but that's more of a personal perspective of mine. I still think their current look is the best they've ever looked as the "Dallas Stars".

Also, I would've prefer if they went with "Texas" instead of "Dallas" because they're the only NHL team in their state.

I'm excited to see Michigan Red Wings and the Massachusetts Bruins start up next season.

Some teams can use their state name; Michigan and Massachusetts aren't one of them.

Yes, I also think they need black, but only as a trim color. They don't need to be a red and black team because we already have enough of those in hockey.

Agreed. I would love to see some teams like Tampa Bay or San Jose go with something different.

Some teams can use their state name; Michigan and Massachusetts aren't one of them.

But they are the only teams in their states...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Feeding off of the above conversation, I don't know how unpopular this is, but I definitely prefer all teams use cities as opposed to states (or things like "Golden State", "New England" or even "Tampa Bay.")

I say this as a fan of the first two teams to use state names (The Twins and, months later, the Vikings). They obviously did this because we have two big cities next door to each other and they did not want to alienate St. Paul. I really doubt St. Paul residents would not have supported the "Minneapolis Twins."

I know you can pick out how state names can work well...Minnesota is the "North Star State" so "Minneapolis North Stars" may not work as well. So what? It still works. Hell, Minnesota has 10,000 Lakes and we had the Minneapolis Lakers.

Actually "Minneapolis Twins" would have worked nicely; had the team not "created" the state-name concept, "Minneapolis Twins" would have been a nice nod to St. Paul.

I think the worst offenders are teams that come into a state that already has a team in the same league (Florida Panthers; Texas Rangers). Those two teams had obvious reasons for choosing their state names. Miami Panthers does not work very well and Dallas Rangers is even worse. I'd prefer the Dallas team be called "Dallas" and have some other name.

I am not a marketing expert and maybe using state names really does help with interest from people around the state. Maybe the Colorado Avalanche get more viewers from Pueblo than they would if they were the "Denver Avalanche." I don't know and if that's so, then I cannot blame them. The Broncos seem to be doing OK though.

Admittedly, I am desensitized to this since it started before I was born. So I am used to it and don't spend much time dwelling on it. I particularly can deal with it in one-team states like Arizona and Colorado. Heck, I am surprised the Thunder, the only big-time team in the state, did not adopt "Oklahoma Thunder" (which would look better on the jersey). But if it were up to me, non-City names would be used in very few, or even no, situations.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For some reason I like the Bills old uniforms. Don't get me wrong, I actually like their current uniforms. I just really like these for some strange reason:

buffalo-bills_pg_600.jpg

(I know that nobody agrees with me.)

What they were thinking when they came up with that set, we'll never know.

For some reason I like the Bills old uniforms. Don't get me wrong, I actually like their current uniforms. I just really like these for some strange reason:

buffalo-bills_pg_600.jpg

(I know that nobody agrees with me.)

You are 1insaneguy
That monstrosity might be worse than the jags or bucs
Honestly, I agree that I like them. Not better than what they have now, but I like them.

I do though, like that red helmet a lot better than the current whites.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I strongly prefer this:

20140306-Hasek-Top.jpg

over this:

DHASEK16X20PH.JPG

+1

Sure the original Sabres uniforms manage to spell out "Buffalo Sabres" but that's about the only thing they had going for them. The striping was lifted directly from the Leafs and the logo is just poor. With the 1995 rebrand, they finally had a distinctive uniform set with beautifully rendered logos.

I strongly prefer this:

20140306-Hasek-Top.jpg

over this:

DHASEK16X20PH.JPG

+1

Sure the original Sabres uniforms manage to spell out "Buffalo Sabres" but that's about the only thing they had going for them. The striping was lifted directly from the Leafs and the logo is just poor. With the 1995 rebrand, they finally a distinctive uniform set with beautifully rendered logos.

If by beautiful you mean hediously ugly and not at all representive of the team's nickname. Because nothing says "distinctive" like using a color scheme already used by three teams (and soon to be a fourth) And the striping just being the Leafs is a straight up lie. So you hate the Canucks home uniforms because the striping is just the Devils minus the shoulder yoke?

I'm not even a huge fan of the original Sabres uniforms (the buffalo is poorly rendered and the striping color inconsistency is horrendous), but the logo still had more appeal than the goathead. Seriously, WTF is that on the bottom right side of the logo? And blue and yellow (not navy) is one of the greatest color schemes ever.

The Sabres have never truly had a good uniform, but the goathead is the worst (I honestly prefer the Buffaslug to it, at least that one had some appeal and a better color scheme).

I've read you praise these uniforms multiply times, and it honestly feels like you just hate the original logo (and obviously the slug), so you just latch onto the goathead because you feel like you have to like at least one Sabres look. That's just my two cents, maybe you really like that hideous crap.

• Like 1