Unpopular Opinions

Still hard to believe a team with 2 championships in just over 20 years of existence can't draw a consistent fan base.

The owner dismantling the team immediately after winning it all doesn't help.
  • Like 1

they used to play an hour north in Miami Gardens, technically a different city and even a different county.

No, Dolphin Stadium is within Miami-Dade County, and it was considered unincorporated Miami-Dade County until a few years ago when "Miami Gardens" was incorporated. I don't think anyone gave any of this a second thought when the Dolphins played there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Still hard to believe a team with 2 championships in just over 20 years of existence can't draw a consistent fan base.

Yep, I think that's the kicker. And Jeffrey Loria too.

Gosh, I don't know how any fan could stand having to deal with Huizenga and Loria. Big kudos to any Marlins fan who's stuck with it since '93; that takes an iron will.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Marlins were named for Florida because Wayne Huizenga is one of those Broward County snobs who thinks Miami is just a cesspool of drugs and ethnics.

What about Florida Marlins, which sounds a lot better than Miami Marlins IMO

I think they both sound fine but Miami works better now as in present day for a couple of reasons. They aren't the only MLB team in Florida anymore as they were when they were created. Also, they're now literally playing in the city of Miami, as they used to play an hour north in Miami Gardens, technically a different city and even a different county. Also, there were legal issues with the city of Miami asking for the name change as a perk for helping to build the new ballpark. All of these things are well known, so I'm sure most knew all of this. But yes, Florida Marlins sounds wonderful as well, probably better honestly.

But I'll add a fun trivia fact... when the team was created in 1991, the first owner actually wanted them to be specifically called the "South Florida Marlins"... the Miami name was involved as well but the Florida name was chosen because they predicted (correctly) that in the future a second Florida team would be born and they wanted to kinda grab fans from all over the state before that 2nd team could build its fanbase. In a sense, it worked.

Actually, Huizenga wanted initially to name the team the "Florida Flamingos," complete with a predominately pink and black color scheme, but fortunately someone talked him out of it. He also wanted to use "South Florida," but MLB's marketing arm nixed that.

Oddly enough, there's only one professional sports league that regulates whether a team is required to use a city name vs. a state name vs. a regional name... the Arena Football League.

nav-logo.png

I feel that the "Jazz" nickname is, in many ways, more synonymous with Utah than New Orleans. Stockton and Malone, the '97 and '98 Finals against Jordan's Bulls, and Jerry Sloan's long tenure in Utah have all made it such an appropriate fit.

And that is the very reason why Jazz fans (not to mention most people roaming these boards and making the decision-makers in the NBA) are against changing the name. It would be a revisionist nightmare of epic proportions.

EDIT: Not to forget that the franchise is entering its 36th season of play in Salt Lake as opposed to its first 5 in New Orleans

While I'm at it, I'll keep this thread on topic: I don't mind alternates in baseball during the playoffs every now and again, and as for the Astros...they need to own orange. I like their navy hat/orange jersey combo, but at home when wearing the traditional white tops, orange hats and undershirts is the way to go--the rest of the jersey, with its blue script, NOBs, and numbers and orange piping--balances out the colors perfectly.

Also, I should not like the Rangers red cap with their regular home uniforms, but for some reason I don't mind them...I'm not sure why.

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Yep, I think that's the kicker. And Jeffrey Loria too.

Gosh, I don't know how any fan could stand having to deal with Huizenga and Loria. Big kudos to any Marlins fan who's stuck with it since '93; that takes an iron will.

Thank you. I'm the one with the iron will. There's a few of us around here. We do what we can to survive.

The Warriors changed their name from "San Francisco" to "Golden State" in 1971 when they moved across the bay to Oakland with some of their home games in San Diego (after the Rockets had moved to Houston) after losing money 8 of their 9 years in the Cow Palace and Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. That arrangement didn't last long though. They dropped their games in San Diego the next year.

Don't know how unpopular this is, but I really like the San Diego Chargers number font

I'll take it a step farther, I like their uniforms.

the only parts that annoy me: I prefer powder blue as primary, wish they had a helmet stripe, and a different coloured collar. Besides that, really good and even with it.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Don't know if its unpopular but i hate jerseys that are primarily yellow.

Not really that unpopular. I'd even say that it's somewhat common. I'm in the other camp, though. As a Nashville fan, I love how unique the identity is. I will admit that it is a harder color to pull off.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Warriors changed their name from "San Francisco" to "Golden State" in 1971 when they moved across the bay to Oakland with some of their home games in San Diego (after the Rockets had moved to Houston) after losing money 8 of their 9 years in the Cow Palace and Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. That arrangement didn't last long though. They dropped their games in San Diego the next year.

So what's your opinion on that?

So what's your opinion on that?

At the time there were some teams that were going to general descriptions rather than specific cities or states including the New England Patriots (NFL, 1971), the Floridians (ABA, 1971), Carolina Cougars (ABA, 1969), Capital Bullets (NBA, 1973), the Hawaiians (WFL, 1974) and Southern California Suns (WFL, 1974). Golden State and New England are the only ones that have stuck. Personally, I would have stayed with "San Francisco" or reverted back to it since the San Diego experiment lasted only one year and they remained in the San Francisco Bay area.

Still, I can see why they stuck with the name - "California Warriors" or "San Francisco Warriors" isn't quite as unique as "Golden State Warriors" and once they won their championship in 1975 it probably wasn't going to change.

My comment regarding Utah stems from people continuing to believe that the Jazz belong back in New Orleans, and that the name doesn't make sense in its current location.

Well, it doesn't really. The team had considered Pioneers and Saints when the team moved, but team ownership decided to keep the Jazz name (one account being that they didn't want to spend the money to make all the necessary changes). I'm guessing that owner Sam Battistone just felt attached to the name and wanted to keep it.

I would certainly agree that the name has become much more accepted, but the logical thing would have been to send the Jazz name back to the New Orleans team when the Hornets moved there and renamed the team. There's a lot of money to be made in a rebranding - I'm sure the Hornets and Pelicans are cashing in on their name changes. (But the Miller family may also feel an attachment for the team name, especially now that Larry Miller has passed away)

Love love love the Chiefs red pants but...my favorite uni combo for them is their white on white look! So clean and classic and not worn enough. I always get really excited when I see that they're going to wear it. Even though the last couple times they've worn it, they've lost. Awful playoff lost from a couple years ago too :(

White over White (11/10)

White over Red (10/10)

Red over White (9/10)

Red over Red (bleh)

ks-12-allwhite-zumapress-620x425.jpg

CHIEFS - BLUE JACKETS - CARDINALS