Bill Leavy admits he made "mistakes" in Super Bowl XL

Lights Out

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5444048

I didn't want to put this in the NFL 2010 thread because this doesn't have to do with the upcoming season, and I think it's big enough news to stand on its own. NFL referee Bill Leavy has finally admitted that he made bad calls in Super Bowl XL that "impacted the game."

Now, I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but I for one always thought SBXL was fixed. The Steelers got pretty much all the calls, and coincidentally it happened to be Jerome Bettis' homecoming in Detroit. I remember watching it at the time and thinking that it was football's answer to the 2002 Lakers/Kings series in the NBA. I was very disappointed when the league chose not to investigate the officiating but instead decided to play it off like nothing happened and dismiss Mike Holmgren as a whiner. This new confession has strengthened my opinion that Matt Hasselbeck should have hoisted the Lombardi on that February night and not Ben Roethlisberger. I'm interested to hear what everybody thought about the game and what everybody thinks about the confession.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that most people thought it was fixed, though if that was the case, this guy probably wouldn't be admitting these mistakes. Still, it's safe to say that most rational people (other than Maz) feel that the referees either intentionally or inadvertently handed the game to the Steelers, and Seattle got hosed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, Seattle kind of got jobbed on that QB sneak "TD" among others.

/Dies inside a little

//Still wishes meteor could have struck the stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Four years too late.

I think everyone will admit mistakes were made in that game. Maybe not Steeler fans but still probably the worst Super Bowl I've witnessed.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

What about Roger Goodell? Where's the investigation? Where's the apology to Mike Holmgren?

If I were running the NFL, the Steelers would be stripped of their "victory" and the Super Bowl XL win would be given to the Seahawks, trophy and all.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

What about Roger Goodell? Where's the investigation? Where's the apology to Mike Holmgren?

If I were running the NFL, the Steelers would be stripped of their "victory" and the Super Bowl XL win would be given to the Seahawks, trophy and all.

Outside of the should've been Steeler holding call on Max Starks I believe?

The Seahawks really never had a grasp of that game.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

That's not true - the bogus pass interference call on Darrell Jackson took away what should have been a touchdown, and that Roethlisberger "touchdown" at the goal line shouldn't have counted because the ball didn't cross the plane. That would make the score tied 14-14 at the half. There was also a pass in the fourth quarter to Jerramy Stevens that was caught at the Steelers' 1 yard line that the refs brought back due to a bogus holding call on Sean Locklear. If they didn't make that bogus call, Seattle likely would have scored afterwards, making it either 17-14 or 21-14 Seahawks late. Therefore, the case is very strong that Seattle would have won the game if the refs didn't give outrageous calls to the Steelers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If St. Louis isn't getting one for Super Bowl XXXVI...

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Deal with it. Officiating mistakes are part of the game, and I as a Steelers fan refuse to believe it was officiating that decided everything

Just because the Party said it was cool during the Soviet Era doesn't make it cool now.

Today, we are all otaku.

Roger Goodell wasn't commissioner yet when XL was played. Paul Tagliabue was.

If a team were to vacate a Super Bowl win, the stats would have an asterisk tacked on and the official winner would be No winner.

Wasn't Hassleback called for "blocking below the waist" while trying to make a tackle after he through an interception?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived