Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

From NetsDaily:

A NetsDaily translation of the full Forbes Russia interview with Mikhail Prokhorov reveals the team plans a name change once it moves to Brooklyn, and that in fact documents seeking approval for the change have been submitted to the NBA. He didn't disclose the name.

In the NetsDaily translation of the interview, provided by a Russian-speaking fan, Prokhorov is asked "What will be the team's name after the move to Brooklyn?" His response: "I can not tell you right now, but the documents are already submitted to the NBA office. The name change will happen in 2012 season."

Let the speculation begin...

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brooklyn Deckers :P

As a Net fan (who admittedly doesn't really watch more than 10-12 games anymore, because I'm not even near as into basketball as I used to be as a youngster) I really can't say I blame the team. Nets is (lets face it) a pretty dumb name, and I can't help but wonder if it weren't for having a Jets/Mets in the area if they ever would have adopted it in the first place.

Also, would this be the first "full" name change of a team that didn't move out of a Metropolitan area since the Bullets became the Wizards? I don't mean a Mighty Ducks of Anaheim > Anaheim Ducks or Anaheim Angels > Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim type of change.

I also don't mean some minor-league team in some league nobody's ever heard of.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

From the New Jersey Americans to the New York Nets to the New Jersey Nets to the Brooklyn...?

If I had to speculate, I'd say Brooklyn Knights (as in, "Brooklynites"), but who knows. Don't wait for the rush - start doing your USPTO TESS searches now! LOL

Like it.

Or:

Brooklyn Dodgers (make it happen, NBA)

Brooklyn Robins (after Jackie Robinson)

And add me to the (probably huge) list of people who want to buy sports merchandise that says "BROOKLYN" on it when this change happens. In terms of new uniforms for any team in any sport, is there anything that has more potential than this?

From the New Jersey Americans to the New York Nets to the New Jersey Nets to the Brooklyn...?

If I had to speculate, I'd say Brooklyn Knights (as in, "Brooklynites"), but who knows. Don't wait for the rush - start doing your USPTO TESS searches now! LOL

I'd agree. And, I think it would be a great name.

Speculation, based off suggestions I've seen:

Brooklyn Knights (of course, too bad it's a USL PDL team already)

Brooklyn Barons

Brooklyn Renaissance (Rens)

Brooklyn Gothams

Brooklyn Prospectors (for Prospect Park)

Brooklyn Atlantics

Brooklyn Jacks

and the name it will no-doubt be: Brooklyn Dodgers. Regardless of sport, whenever a new sports team comes into BK they try to use this name. A couple times they have.

RIP Brooklyn Nets... what couldve actually been a cool team name

How exactly is that a cool team name? How is "Nets" a relevant team name at all? It's like a baseball team being the New York Bases, or football team being the New York End Zones.

Go 'Zones!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

and the name it will no-doubt be: Brooklyn Dodgers. Regardless of sport, whenever a new sports team comes into BK they try to use this name. A couple times they have.

I can't imagine that the L.A. Dodgers would allow that. And, regardless of the history, would we really want two teams in the four major sports leagues with such a location-specific nickname? Sure, there's two Cardinals, two Giants, two Panthers, etc., but two Dodgers?? I just can't see it.

Knights would be my guess (Sidenote: I once had a fantasy football team called the Wisconsin Knights based on the same alliterative principle that Mac pointed out).

Kings may be an option if Jay-Z & co. are willing to throw money towards SACTO.

We might see a name like Brooklyn's Finest if the NBA wasn't doing all it can to throw hip hop under a bus nowadays (despite the fact that the NBA got to where it is largely by riding hip hop's coat-tails in the 90s, but we all know what integrity means to guys like David Stern).

Maybe we'll see the Brooklyn Jays if Hova has a Bob Johnson type itch to "compensate," or just wants to pay homage since Johnson founded the sh***y network we can thank for a generation of idiots who (amongst other things) think Jay is a "legend" in hip hop.

Jersey doesn't need, or want, the Nets. Good riddance.

Brooklyn Bridgemen

Brooklyn Dreadnoughts

Brooklyn Admirals

Brooklyn Cannons

Brooklyn Navigators

Brooklyn Astros

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Isn't this kind of old news? I thought they said there was going to be a name change when Jay-Z bought the team and said he was going to move them to Brooklyn. I think there was even a website that showed a hint of a logo for a team called the Brooklyn Knights or something along those lines. The logo kind of looked like the horse from the old Pistons logo. You couldn't actually see the logo because it was all shadowed.

Archived