New Davidson Wildcats logo coming 8/14

Waffles

The block D and its slashed treatment are my favorite component of the update.

Maybe that will emerge as the primary identifier for Davidson the way the pinlined-V and outlined-A have become the main marks for fellow Wildcats at Villanova & Arizona. Both these schools also have a wildcat head among their logo sets; Davidson might be best served to emphasize the block D and relegate cat head to secondary mark status.

The block D also gives off that old, private institution vibe despite its modern slashy elements. Think Princeton may be an influence?

I like the update.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

In all honesty, come on guys, these are horrible. It looks like a concept that would show up on here by an early amateur designer. I'm really disappointed, because I was excited when ColorWerx posted the link on twitter, and my first words after seeing the new logos was "ah man, they really missed out on an oppurtunity".

Well, if they were going for simply "update" I suppose they nailed it. After all, the Curry Saga made everyone think of the prior cathead, so it makes sense to make it an update. Relatively clean, but as said it's very..."concept like." The pawprint is missing something, and looks unfinished, as I have trouble seeing the D. I also agree that the slashed D is the best part of this update.

That being said...Meh. My first words were "That's it? ...Seriously?"

Should have used that time to go in a completely new direction...but at least it isn't the unicorn from that other thread, nor does it appear to be Phoenix.

Grade: C

Simple, cleaned up a familiar design

Not exactly crisp or "polished"

Last logo is missing something

Not very creative

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

I don't like the use of red in the wildcat. I think it would look a lot better if the eyes and the diamond in the back were the only parts that were red. I also wondered what it would look like if they added some gray shadows on it to give it more of a fur texture, but then again it looks like the drummer, so why not use the KISS theory? Keep it simple stupid...was the designer actually a fan of kiss the band? makes you wonder....

i'm torn on this...i like the simplicity and the homage to their previous mark that this pays, but the use of red on the ears and whiskers really bothers me and the D-paw doesn't read as a "D" to me at all - the scratched D has a lot of potential, but i think the scratch is too "clean" - the face of the font is really attractive, but the drop-shadow effect is off, if you ask me - if you know anything about davidson, this logo really fits the character of the institution, though - certainly an upgrade, but i think this is a single rather than a homerun...

jldesigns404eo.png

I really want to like this set, but I can't. I do like the overall simplicity; I think the scratched-D is clever; and I like the idea of updating the wildcat without making it overly modern. But all that aside, there are just too many glaring issues here.

Starting with the wildcat logo, as many others have mentioned, the use of red here is simply strange. I'd love to know the reasoning for making one ear red and one black (and the black one incorporates a very strange shadowy shape that swoops into the eye area). I also think the red whiskers look odd. I think the way the red looks when surrounded by black (in the eyes and nose) actually does work. More of that treatment, and this might be very nice.

The other glaring mistake is the treatment of the red drop shadow on the lettering/wordmarks. It's just wrong. It's very jarring to the eye to see the drop shadow on the outsides of the letterforms, but none on the negative spaces, or even the other open areas of the letterforms (like the S and N). To me, it makes the drop shadow cease to function as one, and instead creates a weird, unfinished outline. This is all very unfortunate, because I really like the type style, and the scratched-D looks SOOO nice on the football helmet.

All in all, a little more refinement and common sense would have made this a super upgrade.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. 9 times out of 10 a lot of the things that people complain about here are down to client decisions - not choices provided by the designer. Once again I get the distinct feeling that this has Athletic Director who doesn't know crap about design putting his hands all over this. I think the base of the design is OK - it's not great, could be better, but as I've said before I think this is client meddling, not the designer.

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived