Angels 50th Anniversary

oddball

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess that means a metallic gold on the jerseys and caps rather than the traditional yellow? I suppose that would prevent the call for a permanent switch.

My guess is the metallic gold is going to look great, maybe even better than the metallic silver (which I also think is great). But I'd be against a switch because I'd prefer to stick with the logo that we won the World Series with.

Consistency is so underrated.

I am unbelievably stoked to see that the halo will be gold on the hats next season.

I'd definitely want more of a yellow gold than is in the 50th anniversary logo, but hopefully the metallic threads will make it shine more.

I am a bit disappointed that it sounds like it'll only be there for the one season. But if it does look fantastic, I may just have to stock up on those so I can just grab a new hat once one gets worn through a bit. Although, I hope that if it does look good enough, there would be enough support from the fans to try and petition this to make it a full-time look.

Admiral, I'd definitely love that as a logo.

The yellow/gold halo has always been the superior look in Angels history.

I like the silver halo, but it just makes it seem dull. The yellow/gold always stood out better.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'll defer to fans of the Angels on whether the halo should be gold or silver, as an unbiased fan, the silver always struck me as dreary while the gold makes the logo cheerful.

Nailed it. I see loads of Angels merchandise everywhere here in Utah, as due to the fact that the Salt Lake Bees and Orem Owlz are Angels affiliates, the Salt Lake and Provo/Orem metropolitan areas predominantly support the Angels. Seeing it so often, the silver halo looks fake and, well, unangelic to me. When you look at depictions of angels or saints on paintings, or even clip-art, every halo is either gold or white. A gold halo just seems more fitting (and for the record I wouldn't mind a white one either) for an angel, whereas a silver one not only is never depicted, but it looks like the metal wire halo you forgot to paint on your nativity set. It just never has looked right to me.

That, along with the primary use of red instead of blue, is one of the problems I have with the Angels' current identity. It wouldn't make the identity perfect by any means, but if you did that one simple alteration of changing the halo to gold, it would make it much better.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'll defer to fans of the Angels on whether the halo should be gold or silver, as an unbiased fan, the silver always struck me as dreary while the gold makes the logo cheerful.

Gold FTW.

Also, blue needs to make a return to the color scheme. I never really understood what Disney was doing when they switched from their periwinkle set to their RFRS set.. I mean, the team is called the "ANGELS" (you'd expect this color scheme from a team like the NJ Devils...)

I'm surprised they didn't go in this direction honestly..

California-Angels-Black-And-Red-Hat-With-Gray-Under-Brim-1.jpg

Also, what I think was cool is that on the original "LA Angels" and "CA Angels" caps (See Below: Click to Enlarge), they stitched a "halo" above the interlocking "LA" and "CA" in silver ... a pretty cool (albeit gimmicky) feature IMO...

los-angeles_angels_auxillary-chart2009_e.gif

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

Gold FTW.

Also, blue needs to make a return to the color scheme. I never really understood what Disney was doing when they switched from their periwinkle set to their RFRS set.. I mean, the team is called the "ANGELS" (you'd expect this color scheme from a team like the NJ Devils...)

I'm surprised they didn't go in this direction honestly..

California-Angels-Black-And-Red-Hat-With-Gray-Under-Brim-1.jpg

Also, what I think was cool is that on the original "LA Angels" and "CA Angels" caps (See Below: Click to Enlarge), they stitched a "halo" above the interlocking "LA" and "CA" in silver ... a pretty cool (albeit gimmicky) feature IMO...

los-angeles_angels_auxillary-chart2009_e.gif

Well go back to the year 2001-2002 and how many red teams were in the AL? There is part of the answer to the question. The only red based teams were the Red Sox, and I presume you could say the Twins, so they became unique as opposed to all the blue teams. Throw in the fact that supposedly red was Gene Autry's favorite color. I don't dispute that, but if true then why didn't the Angels go red long before 2002 when Autry owned the club.

Preacher, you've confirmed your insanity to me by professing a love for the periwinkle softball uniforms and questioning the reasoning from going away from it. The Disney years (minus the 2002 World Championship and change to red) were horrific. That A-Wing logo was just too cartoony-Disney. The Periwinkle pinstripes with the vest were awful. The sleeve patch was awful. The two bear mascots they created were awful. Them trying to play off the Mighty Ducks logo by making an Angels logo with the homeplate and crossed bats was awful.

No. Completely and utterly horrific.

I have no idea why those hats have suddenly become "in-style" other than it's from people now my age (20) who grew up with those hats as the Angels. I refuse to buy into that though. I can still remember my first baseball games when they were the California Angels and were red and blue. The old pennants I have in my room are California Angels ones, and one of my favorite retro hats I own is the interlocking CA. The whole periwinkle era should be trashed. I can't remember anything memorable from the periwinkle wing years except for Jim Edmonds, Tim Salmon, the last years of Chuck Finley as a Halo and the beginning of Garret Anderson's career.

Everything else from that shouldn't exist. Absolutely horrible. You can't find a damn thing from that era anywhere in the stadium, and for good reason

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

What I'd like to see the Angels do next season is to not just replace the silver halo with a gold one and I'm assuming they will remove the grey drop shadow on their home unis, but I'd love to see the Angels include Navy/red/navy trimming around the sleeves and neck, just like they wore them in the 70's, 80's til 1992.

Preacher, you've confirmed your insanity to me by professing a love for the periwinkle softball uniforms and questioning the reasoning from going away from it. The Disney years (minus the 2002 World Championship and change to red) were horrific. That A-Wing logo was just too cartoony-Disney. The Periwinkle pinstripes with the vest were awful. The sleeve patch was awful. The two bear mascots they created were awful. Them trying to play off the Mighty Ducks logo by making an Angels logo with the homeplate and crossed bats was awful.

No. Completely and utterly horrific.

I have no idea why those hats have suddenly become "in-style" other than it's from people now my age (20) who grew up with those hats as the Angels. I refuse to buy into that though. I can still remember my first baseball games when they were the California Angels and were red and blue. The old pennants I have in my room are California Angels ones, and one of my favorite retro hats I own is the interlocking CA. The whole periwinkle era should be trashed. I can't remember anything memorable from the periwinkle wing years except for Jim Edmonds, Tim Salmon, the last years of Chuck Finley as a Halo and the beginning of Garret Anderson's career.

Everything else from that shouldn't exist. Absolutely horrible. You can't find a damn thing from that era anywhere in the stadium, and for good reason

QFT. Bolded for emphasis.

I, for one, cannot wait for these Gold Halo hats.

galaxy.png

IMG_0309.jpg

They just flashed the first image of the new jersey during the Angels-White Sox broadcast, sorry for the crappy quality, its just an iphone picture, no sighting of the hat yet. It looks like they're going with a more yellow looking halo than the gold metallic halo of the logo, I really like it and think it works really well.

Well go back to the year 2001-2002 and how many red teams were in the AL? There is part of the answer to the question. The only red based teams were the Red Sox, and I presume you could say the Twins, so they became unique as opposed to all the blue teams. Throw in the fact that supposedly red was Gene Autry's favorite color. I don't dispute that, but if true then why didn't the Angels go red long before 2002 when Autry owned the club.

I know for a fact that the story of Red being Gene Autry's favorite color was completely made up.

The marketing guys came up with that one because it sounded good.

Heres a couple more pics I was able to grab

Here's the new hat, I know its hard to notice the yellow, but the halo is actually yellow

The Metallic Gold thread used in embroidery looks a bit more Yellow than the color used in print.

It's Robison-Anton J.GOLD thread for those who care. Or, Madeira 21, or FuFu CZN75.

I know for a fact that the story of Red being Gene Autry's favorite color was completely made up.

The marketing guys came up with that one because it sounded good.

Thanks for confirming that, because as I was replying to this thread, it hit me that that statement about red being Gene Autry's favorite color didn't make sense to me.

Archived