MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

I know it's a prototype, so it's interesting to see that it's a Majestic authentic jersey, but doesn't have a Diamond Collection tag, nor the MLB batter logo on the back of the neck.

Authentics haven't had the "Diamond Collection" tag since 2000. The jock tag is exactly what's on current gamers. The only thing that's missing is the MLB logo on the neck, as you mentioned.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, the Nats should have kept the gold. If they must go the route of the script to match the W, they at least did a good job based on that prototype. The Nationals script looks good. I'm all for them using a different number font, just not so much that specific one. It just looks odd. I think they should have stuck with navy on the road, but whatever. And I would like to see the DC logo on an alternate or something.

I actually really like those numbers, and glad the Nats decided to go with something different. Why must every single MLB franchise use the same numbers?

The Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Astros, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Brewers, Giants, Padres, Phillies and Braves say hi.

I actually really like those numbers, and glad the Nats decided to go with something different. Why must every single MLB franchise use the same numbers?

The Angels, Rangers, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Astros, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Brewers, Giants, Padres, Phillies and Braves say hi.

The Pirates, Yankees and Tigers say sup.

Hopefully the Indians don't go to that block lettering on their uniforms. It's fine as a fauxback uniform, but the 1994-2001 set is the best uniforms the Indians have ever had.

I can't say that this is what the Nationals are going with, but I picked up this prototype home jersey back in August. (Sorry the photos haven't gone up before today...I've been busy!)

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

NationalsPrototypeBack.jpg

Same nasty number font as before, just without the bells and whistles. If these had MLB block numbers, they'd be pretty sweet. As it is, it's a very thin baseball script topping a cross between old NE Patriots and Dallas Cowboys numbers...and that's not a good match. Not at all.

Love. That.

As do I.

That script is gorgeous. The "N" is so much better than the Walgreens "W". I wish my Brewers had a script logo half that good.

I do miss the gold, though.

Hopefully the Indians don't go to that block lettering on their uniforms. It's fine as a fauxback uniform, but the 1994-2001 set is the best uniforms the Indians have ever had.

I agree 1000% on the Indians set. I will go further and say those are among the best unis worn by any team ever.

I wish some team would go with the thick block numbers like the Yankees, Tigers and Braves use. It is nice to have a team deviate from MLB block without putting out some gimmicky font.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Knew I missed some. Damn.

The Reds just sent their regards as well. By the way, I think the Nats new look is fantastic. Took 'em a while, but that new script "Nationals" says to me, "All is forgiven!"

The Reds just sent their regards as well.

Yes, why must every single MLB franchise use the same numbers, except the more than half which do not? :P

Here is just some confirmation about the already stated changes for the Nationals, from the Washington Post:

After months of rumors and speculation, the Nats are set to unveil significant changes to their uniforms on Nov. 10 at Nats Park. The team will hold a fashion show event at the stadium, and will show off at least three styles of uniforms. I've heard that, among other things, the gold accents and gold trim will be purged from the new designs, and the block NATIONALS on the home jersey will be replaced with a script Nationals. There will be other changes as well.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/10/nats_to_unveil_uniform_changes.html

Glad to see the block scripts on the home jerseys will be gone. It was just awful, probably the worst script in professional sports IMO. The script from the posted prototype was a huge improvement. I know a lot of people hate the curly W hats, but I've always liked them. I'd be kinda sad to see those go, if they do.

I like it too. Much better than the blocky stuff. Although it looks like whoever designed it copied the terminal s and swash from the Royals logotype. I mean, that's exactly what's on the KC jerseys. The elongated t with the high cross-stroke looks eerily similar to the t on the A's logotype, as well.

If that's the script they came up with, that thing is a beauty.

I'll miss the interlocking DC logo, since I doubt it will make the transition. However, I think they could keep it if they just got rid of the bevels, kind of like on this fashion hat I have.

V0ZDPl.jpg

Note the bevels are still there, just colored white.

kU6ns.gif

I'm not excited about that Nats prototype. I always liked the idea of the Nationals being the anti-Orioles: instead of playing in a contrived neo-retro stadium, they'd play in a streamlined, unapologetically modernist stadium. (They kinda got this half-right.) Now they're basically dressing like the Orioles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know a lot of people hate the curly W hats, but I've always liked them. I'd be kinda sad to see those go, if they do.

Going by the sheer amount of Curly W's in the stadium, that hat's never going anywhere.

I liked the old script an awful lot, but you're right. They wedded themselves to the Senators' briefly-used cap logo from the very first press conference, and the old wordmarks were always conflicting with the cap logo.

If that's the cap logo they're going to use, and they are, then this script is a monumental upgrade.

How did that happen, anyway? I always suspected that was a Bud Selig thing, or at least someone that wasn't Todd Radom. Like, I get using it in the vague "DC Baseball" interregnum between identities, but once they announced the name and logos, that should've been the end of the Curly W. Now, that's the only thing that lasted.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For the people who commented the Nats should have worn a DC hat full time, I disagree. The team name is Washington Nationals, not DC Nationals. DC is fine as a sleeve patch, but most of us are in agreement that a city initial needs to go on caps with a few exceptions (White Sox, Orioles). No team wears a W hat, so it wouldn't be any less distinctive. If the hat from the mysterious cameraman photo was legit, that would have worked well. However, the old wordmarks (especially the road) looked too muttled to me. I am looking forward to seeing what they do and hopefully it is a cohesive identity.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

How did that happen, anyway? I always suspected that was a Bud Selig thing, or at least someone that wasn't Todd Radom. Like, I get using it in the vague "DC Baseball" interregnum between identities, but once they announced the name and logos, that should've been the end of the Curly W. Now, that's the only thing that lasted.

I think it had more to do with then-Mayor Tony Williams, the stadium council, and other District officials, who wore Cooperstown Collection caps to every press conference, at least as far back as the announcement the team would be moving to DC:

XnQvpPHA.jpg

They essentially established the final Senators cap as the de facto emblem for the new team, while they were still playing in Montréal. And FWIW, Williams was the one who shot down Selig's proposed "Senators" name, since DC is a bit touchy about not having representation in the Senate.

For the people who commented the Nats should have worn a DC hat full time, I disagree. The team name is Washington Nationals, not DC Nationals. DC is fine as a sleeve patch, but most of us are in agreement that a city initial needs to go on caps with a few exceptions (White Sox, Orioles). No team wears a W hat, so it wouldn't be any less distinctive. If the hat from the mysterious cameraman photo was legit, that would have worked well. However, the old wordmarks (especially the road) looked too muttled to me. I am looking forward to seeing what they do and hopefully it is a cohesive identity.

The city we commonly refer to as Washington, DC hasn't officially been named Washington since 1871. The District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871 merged the city of Washington, the city of Georgetown, and Washington County with the District of Columbia to create one single entity, the District of Columbia. Seeing as the capital of the United States hasn't been named Washington for 139 years, a DC cap would have been fitting.

Archived