MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

Very boring, this looks bland without black.

I couldn't disagree more. These are a thing of beauty and hopefully it was a trial run for next year seeing how it will be their 50th anniversary I can see them make big changes to their uniforms.

Amen to that!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't disagree more. These are a thing of beauty and hopefully it was a trial run for next year seeing how it will be their 50th anniversary I can see them make big changes to their uniforms.

Amen to that!

It's already been confirmed that there's no "big" changes and there's no blue alt for next year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Amen to that!

It's already been confirmed that there's no "big" changes and there's no blue alt for next year.

One can only hope...

Amen to that!

By big changes I meant dropping the black and adding blue alt. like this. Also where did you here there will be no blue alt? I only ask becuase all I've been hearing on Metsblog is them dropping black and adding blue alt for 2012 for the 50th anniversary.

3535rx3.jpg

Showtime mentioned on the previous page there's no blue alt and he really does know these things. That said, I don't think an alternate jersey addition is a big change that qualifies for advanced notice like a full design change. Seems like something they can add anytime before the next season, so I think if they see the popularity of these, I think they could bring it in. And all they'd have to do is not really wear the black jersey and cap and then ditch the drop shadows the next season. At least think so.

After seeing these, I hope next year's change for the Mets isn't just adding a 50th Anniversary patch.

I was thinking about what they might do to commemorate this anniversary yesterday and thought back to 1999 when they wore no names on the back of their home jerseys. Even if they're not ready to ditch the black entirely how about they remove the drop shadow from the pinstripes just for the year and go NNOB on that jersey as well obviously with a 50th Anniversary patch on the sleeve. They'd look phenomenal and I bet they'd sell more of those than the current version of that jersey which hopefully would make the bell go off. Wearing that next year is such a no brainer that I'm confident it WON'T happen.

As far as a permanent change I think this entire black thing is so easily solveable. Remove the black drop shadow from the pinstripes and snow whites and wear exclusively blue caps at home. Get ride of the black "Mets" alt and replace with blue. Since they are so hell bent on having black as part of their identity keep it as a road color and bring back the black "New York" jersey so there's a black jersey to sell. You could even have a black road BP that says Mets if need be for marketing purposes (plenty of teams have had home and road BP jerseys). I think thats a fair compromise.

mets.png

The Mets are making some changes...but I don't think a blue alt (sadly) is one of them.

But is adding one colored alt jersey a big enough change that they'd have to meet that March/May deadline or could they just add it at anytime? I could understand dropping all of the black drop shadows from all the primary jerseys needing to be submitted ahead of time since it does in fact affect the primary jerseys, but just adding one seems like a possibility. Or am I wrong?

But is adding one colored alt jersey a big enough change that they'd have to meet that March/May deadline or could they just add it at anytime?

I would think that any new jersey, outside of one-offs, would be required to have enough lead time for mass-retail production.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Mets are making some changes...but I don't think a blue alt (sadly) is one of them.

But is adding one colored alt jersey a big enough change that they'd have to meet that March/May deadline or could they just add it at anytime? I could understand dropping all of the black drop shadows from all the primary jerseys needing to be submitted ahead of time since it does in fact affect the primary jerseys, but just adding one seems like a possibility. Or am I wrong?

I would assume that something like a new blue alt would be worthy of a full unveiling, which IMO makes it worthy of being included in any style sheets that have been going around. I suppose you could be correct, but I can't imagine that something like a whole new alt would be something that they haven't worked on already if they had any plans for it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

But is adding one colored alt jersey a big enough change that they'd have to meet that March/May deadline or could they just add it at anytime?

I would think that any new jersey, outside of one-offs, would be required to have enough lead time for mass-retail production.

The deadline MLB gives is more about giving retailers time to sell off the current stock than giving manufacturers time to produce for retail. Maybe one of the changes they already submitted was to eliminate the black alts. If not, they can keep them in their set for a year without wearing them. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I think some alts were added unceremoniously in the middle of a season. I would assume the Mets would be able to add a blue alt for next year at this late a time. However, as good as the Los Mets alt looks, removing all black would be enough for me.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The deadline MLB gives is more about giving retailers time to sell off the current stock than giving manufacturers time to produce for retail. Maybe one of the changes they already submitted was to eliminate the black alts. If not, they can keep them in their set for a year without wearing them. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I think some alts were added unceremoniously in the middle of a season. I would assume the Mets would be able to add a blue alt for next year at this late a time. However, as good as the Los Mets alt looks, removing all black would be enough for me.

Yeah the jersey is already made. Just take off "Los Mets" an replace with just "Mets". I know the 1999 Mariners had a navy "Seattle" alt that I didn't see them wear until mid-season when they moved into Safeco. I don't know if they were used earlier and unjust didn't notice or not, but that might be a precedence. Besides they'd still have time to unveil a single jersey. As mentioned they can just not wear the black ones or only on the road and then remove the drop shadows for 2013. That'd be a good compromise until they can drop the black.

Showtime mentioned on the previous page there's no blue alt and he really does know these things. That said, I don't think an alternate jersey addition is a big change that qualifies for advanced notice like a full design change. Seems like something they can add anytime before the next season, so I think if they see the popularity of these, I think they could bring it in. And all they'd have to do is not really wear the black jersey and cap and then ditch the drop shadows the next season. At least think so.

The changes are what I would call "slight" when compared to say, Marlins or Blue Jays. Involves uniforms already being worn from what I can tell.

The changes are what I would call "slight" when compared to say, Marlins or Blue Jays. Involves uniforms already being worn from what I can tell.

Yeah but would it be possible for them to just add this alt even past the deadline, or not? Really just asking.

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but when the Orioles wanted to add an orange jersey a year or two ago (to go with their t-shirt promotion), they wore their BPs in the games as opposed to a legit alt. This may have been a calculated decision, but it also could have been because they couldn't put out a legit alt past the "deadline".

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but when the Orioles wanted to add an orange jersey a year or two ago (to go with their t-shirt promotion), they wore their BPs in the games as opposed to a legit alt. This may have been a calculated decision, but it also could have been because they couldn't put out a legit alt past the "deadline".

But when was the timing of the decision to go orange? Was it during that season or the prior season like the Mets situation would be? Yeah if you decide during the season to add one alt jersey it's probably not gonna go. But what if you decide before the end of or shortly after the previous season? I really don't know if one jersey falls under the May 31st deadline or not since it's not changing anything just adding one jersey.

I really don't know - I just know that since I've been a member here, I can't think of an alt that caught anyone with a style guide off guard, nor an alt that didn't have an "unveiling" of some sort. Can't speak to what happened pre '04.

Archived