MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

I am overjoyed to see "the gold accents and gold trim" dropped from the Nats hodgepodge of an identity as a "First in War, First in Peace, and Last Place in the American League National League East" ballclub is not even worthy enough to have the prestigious color draped on their uniforms, logos, or wordmarks.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew I've seen the new script 'N' before but couldn't figure it out until I just picked up my 2009 Naional All-Star tee (one in St. Louis) and saw the N in the script. Its the same damn N. I'd post a comparison pic but I'm on my blackberry so someone else will have to it.

I knew I've seen the new script 'N' before but couldn't figure it out until I just picked up my 2009 Naional All-Star tee (one in St. Louis) and saw the N in the script. Its the same damn N. I'd post a comparison pic but I'm on my blackberry so someone else will have to it.

o_TzOMEmiHLKogbT5.jpgNationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

sig.png

They're seriously counterfeiting All-Star BP jerseys now?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does anyone know if the Rangers have any plans to actually put "Rangers" on their home uniforms as opposed to "Texas?" Some teams, such as the Angels and Phillies, have the franchise name on all of their jerseys, but the Rangers are the only team I know of that has the location on all their jerseys. They don't even have an alt that says "Rangers," from what I've seen.

According to this chat, not in 2011.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20100913&content_id=14622814&c_id=tex

16hw9rr.jpg

My asinine tweets: https://twitter.com/Milla_Nilla

I can't say that this is what the Nationals are going with, but I picked up this prototype home jersey back in August. (Sorry the photos haven't gone up before today...I've been busy!)

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

NationalsPrototypeBack.jpg

Same nasty number font as before, just without the bells and whistles. If these had MLB block numbers, they'd be pretty sweet. As it is, it's a very thin baseball script topping a cross between old NE Patriots and Dallas Cowboys numbers...and that's not a good match. Not at all.

nice jerseys thats all that i gotta say.

16hw9rr.jpg

My asinine tweets: https://twitter.com/Milla_Nilla

Why do I get an Orioles vibe from the script? (Note please, the "o" and "s").

What you're actually getting is an old "Senators" vibe from the script. That script used to be on almost every jersey that used script (with some tweaking and exceptions). It's about as stock as stock gets, except around the margins.

How did that happen, anyway? I always suspected that was a Bud Selig thing, or at least someone that wasn't Todd Radom. Like, I get using it in the vague "DC Baseball" interregnum between identities, but once they announced the name and logos, that should've been the end of the Curly W. Now, that's the only thing that lasted.

I think it had more to do with then-Mayor Tony Williams, the stadium council, and other District officials, who wore Cooperstown Collection caps to every press conference, at least as far back as the announcement the team would be moving to DC:

XnQvpPHA.jpg

They essentially established the final Senators cap as the de facto emblem for the new team, while they were still playing in Montréal. And FWIW, Williams was the one who shot down Selig's proposed "Senators" name, since DC is a bit touchy about not having representation in the Senate.

But, Todd had designed a block 'W' that matched the identity well and the intention all along was for that W to go on the cap, and at the eleventh hour, the decision was made, out of the designer's hand, obviously, to go with the curly 'W' on the cap. And we ended up with what we ended up with.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

For the people who commented the Nats should have worn a DC hat full time, I disagree. The team name is Washington Nationals, not DC Nationals. DC is fine as a sleeve patch, but most of us are in agreement that a city initial needs to go on caps with a few exceptions (White Sox, Orioles). No team wears a W hat, so it wouldn't be any less distinctive. If the hat from the mysterious cameraman photo was legit, that would have worked well. However, the old wordmarks (especially the road) looked too muttled to me. I am looking forward to seeing what they do and hopefully it is a cohesive identity.

The city we commonly refer to as Washington, DC hasn't officially been named Washington since 1871. The District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871 merged the city of Washington, the city of Georgetown, and Washington County with the District of Columbia to create one single entity, the District of Columbia. Seeing as the capital of the United States hasn't been named Washington for 139 years, a DC cap would have been fitting.

BallWonk, you're back!

Plus, interlocking letters look awesome on baseball caps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How did that happen, anyway? I always suspected that was a Bud Selig thing, or at least someone that wasn't Todd Radom. Like, I get using it in the vague "DC Baseball" interregnum between identities, but once they announced the name and logos, that should've been the end of the Curly W. Now, that's the only thing that lasted.

I think it had more to do with then-Mayor Tony Williams, the stadium council, and other District officials, who wore Cooperstown Collection caps to every press conference, at least as far back as the announcement the team would be moving to DC:

XnQvpPHA.jpg

They essentially established the final Senators cap as the de facto emblem for the new team, while they were still playing in Montréal. And FWIW, Williams was the one who shot down Selig's proposed "Senators" name, since DC is a bit touchy about not having representation in the Senate.

But, Todd had designed a block 'W' that matched the identity well and the intention all along was for that W to go on the cap, and at the eleventh hour, the decision was made, out of the designer's hand, obviously, to go with the curly 'W' on the cap. And we ended up with what we ended up with.

Yes, because the District's representatives had already decided that the curly W would represent the team. Zelig was very deferential to their wishes, with the logo no less so than the name.

From the back, the jerseys almost look like the California Angels jerseys from the 70s/80s.

I'm not sure about the Nationals script. It's another traditonal looking uniform in baseball, while nice, it's just so damn generic. Especially with the team that they are closest to and fighting for the market uses practically the same script with the Orioles.

They really would be better off using the monument font to distinguish themselves as a brand. If this is indeed their new jersey, they are generic baseball team A.

I don't like it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

navynats.jpg

This is what the home script should've been. I think it was going to, since it was posted on the mothership as part of the set, and appeared here and there on the Nats' website. Probably had to be changed to red when the Curly W hat shoehorned its way into the set.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They're seriously counterfeiting All-Star BP jerseys now?

Why not? The Dallas Stars did it when they reused the 1994-97 All-Star templates for their new sweaters.

Ice_Cap, I think Sodboy means he's surprised Chinese counterfeiters are making knock off All Star BP jerseys now, not that the Nationals seem to have been inspired by the '09 National League script font.

And while we've briefly touched on the subject, that particular jersey knocked off looks even more heinous than the usual garbage counterfeiters put out. I've seen it at a bar in real life and it looks orange instead of red. Not trying to make this a counterfeit jersey convo though, so I digress...

I actually can't tell how I feel about this. I mean, the script absolutely will add continuity, but the NOB font w/o the bevels looks like they forgot something. I'm interested to see what the rest of the set looks like though. I'll reserve judgement until then.

sig2024.png

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

NationalsPrototypeBack.jpg

Why are the Nats taking forever to make these their permanent and only home jersey??

As a Nats fan I love this new look... One thing I noticed tho, compare it to the logo we had for "NatsTown"

natstown11.jpg

I thought for sure cursive NatsTown was a prelude to cursive Nationals and that we were going to use the same N from NatsTown. I'm glad we didn't.

90758391980.gif

For the people who commented the Nats should have worn a DC hat full time, I disagree. The team name is Washington Nationals, not DC Nationals. DC is fine as a sleeve patch, but most of us are in agreement that a city initial needs to go on caps with a few exceptions (White Sox, Orioles). No team wears a W hat, so it wouldn't be any less distinctive. If the hat from the mysterious cameraman photo was legit, that would have worked well. However, the old wordmarks (especially the road) looked too muttled to me. I am looking forward to seeing what they do and hopefully it is a cohesive identity.

The city we commonly refer to as Washington, DC hasn't officially been named Washington since 1871. The District of Columbia Organic Act of 1871 merged the city of Washington, the city of Georgetown, and Washington County with the District of Columbia to create one single entity, the District of Columbia. Seeing as the capital of the United States hasn't been named Washington for 139 years, a DC cap would have been fitting.

BallWonk, you're back!

Plus, interlocking letters look awesome on baseball caps.

Whosawhat?

Anyway I agree. The interlocking DC makes for a great cap logo, and it would have fit in perfectly with the original identity if used full time.

Congratulations, Nationals; you now have a jersey that looks just like every other script jersey...

They already did, or did you miss the roadies they've been rocking?

I have to say this is a massive upgrade to what they had, as it eliminates a lot of the mismatching, and promoting consistency is always good.

That said, I preferred the Monument font. Would have liked to seen that on both sets in a consistent color scheme and paired with the interlocking DC as the Primary Cap (And yes, residents call it DC, not Washington)

Now that I finally saw the prototype wordmark (most pics don't show up on my computer at work), I am not that pleased with this Nationals script. I love the Washington script, but this looks too... I don't know, thin? It looks very generic to me, like something you would get on a mesh jersey from Target. I don't like the look of the N, either.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived